Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping my first festival  (Read 3969 times)

Offline Pieteker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Taping my first festival
« on: May 11, 2024, 04:05:33 PM »
Hi,

I'll be taping my first festival this summer at Beach Festival, Nieuwpoort in Belgium. I plan to use my AT-853s with windscreens to capture some of the acts on the bill. I was wondering if you could share any tips or experiences on getting a good recording, such as ideal location, mic placement, and so on.

Looking forward to your insights!

Thanks,
Pieter

Offline u2_fly_2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Taping my first festival
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2024, 12:33:31 PM »
If possible try to locate yourself close to the soundboard area...and get the mics high up...on a hat or something similar...and try to avoid talkers and screamers if possible...and don´t drink too much unless you know you will have a planned break between the sets...have fun and good luck!
Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Zoom Q3 HD - 1080p / 96-24 Bit

Roland R-26 (96 / 24 Bit)

Sony PCM-D100 (192 / 24 Bit)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2024, 12:53:43 PM »
I like to walk around the best I can to find the "sweet spot" for the sound during an opening band.

Depending on the placement of the soundboard I like to set up directly BEHIND the soundboard if it's close enough to still have decent sound back there. The board area will provide a buffer to talkers in front of you, thus reducing chatter on your recording. I prefer a slightly more distant recording over having people talking near me. Obviously if the soundboard has a covering over it, then it will block the sound, so then no go.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2024, 01:04:12 PM »
AT-853s with card or omni caps?

Offline Pieteker

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2024, 04:43:46 PM »
AT-853s with card or omni caps?

Card.

Offline Pieteker

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2024, 04:46:00 PM »
And what about wind noise?
Do I have to put a dead rat over my foam windscreens?

Online admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2024, 04:47:35 PM »
There is no such thing as too much wind protection outdoors.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2024, 09:22:17 AM »
If possible try to locate yourself close to the soundboard area...and get the mics high up...on a hat or something similar...and try to avoid talkers and screamers if possible...and don´t drink too much unless you know you will have a planned break between the sets...have fun and good luck!

Don't drink to much is the best advice.  Having done festivals in Belgium (Rock Werchter, Cactus and Live /s Live) make sure you bring/sneak in bottled water since aside from Rock Werchter they do not make water easily available and prefer you buy beer.  Where and when is festival?

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2024, 07:20:41 PM »
Don't drink to much is the best advice.

YMMV.  I'm a happy drunk, so I have the most fun at shows when I've had too much to drink.  LOL.  Since I'm under random testing for work I can't do weed...so unbridled drinking is one of the reasons I love festivals.  I don't have to worry about moderation and getting home afterwards, or dealing with my wife squawking that I drank too much at the show...she doesn't mind me drinking, it's of course all about getting home safely and not endangering others.  I never have a problem sneaking in my brown liquor into the festy grounds.  And the only challenge is getting my stuff packed after the music stops and getting back to camp without tripping over anything.  I also have the collateral advantage of being drunk enough to sleep fairly soundly that night, which I rarely do at a music festival.  LOL.  Yeah I know it's not a good sleep when you're juiced up, but its sleep nevertheless.

I'll never forget that one time that I should NEVER have gotten behind the wheel after a show and coming home from the venue (not a festival).  It was around 2am on either Friday or Saturday night and I was almost home.  I peaked a hill and off in the distance like a half mile down the road I saw a random sobriety check point.  It was only like 3 or 4 miles short of home.  I've never been so panic stricken in my life, but somehow or another grace was shining down on me because I got waved through with only a driver license check.  Never again.

Anyway, back to festy drinking...the biggest thing for me is to choose which night I'm gonna go big...usually Saturday night because Sunday music is usually kind of mellow.  It gives me all day Sunday to recover for the drive back home either late Sunday or Monday morning.  I don't like going big on Thursday or Friday and feeling like shit the next day...which is usually one of the best festival days, which is almost always Friday or Saturday.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 07:42:30 PM by fanofjam »

Offline AbbyTaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2024, 09:10:01 PM »
I took the "don't drink too much" as a warning so that you didn't have to pee all the time.  Getting old sucks!  :D

Offline fanofjam

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2024, 12:07:24 AM »
I took the "don't drink too much" as a warning so that you didn't have to pee all the time.  Getting old sucks!  :D

Ugh.  So true.  My diatribe above about drinking does indeed need to include that I only attend open taping festivals where I can fly my mics on a stand and forget about them. 

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2024, 07:17:52 PM »

That was my point.  I either drink or tape for that reason.  Given I have been to multiple festivals and never have seen a mic stand I was assuming stealth. 

Offline fanofjam

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2024, 12:04:41 PM »
Given I have been to multiple festivals and never have seen a mic stand I was assuming stealth.

I hear that.  In the year that I've been working in Pismo Beach, I haven't seen any mic stands either.  We've talked about it before, but the west coast definitely has a different taper vibe than the east coast.

Back home in Virginia, the golden age seems to be in the rear-view, but there are still some small fests out east that are taper friendly.  Even though it's been a few years since I was last able to attend, there's one festival that I'm still invited to open record every year where the organizer gives me and a few other established tapers a free ticket to open tape with the only provision that I post.  We also get SBD access at this fest.  As Carl Spackler says...'so I've got that going for me'.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2024, 03:08:00 AM »
I just run   >:D at festivals.  Don't even own a stand.  Thus not wanting to drink and need to pee.

Offline Pieteker

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2024, 10:47:53 AM »
Here's an aerial view of the festival site. Where do you think I should position myself to get a good recording?

https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZStqMZ8OokYMIgkEQ5eLCHsacOmVmus99V

Offline grawk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2024, 07:26:22 PM »
make a triangle between the primary speakers left and right where you’re between 1 and 1.5x the distance between the speakers from the midpoint between them.
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline bonghitwillie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2024, 08:44:16 PM »
get close to a pa stack, but stay away from bass bins. gaff tape your mics to something ridgid close to the sound.

Offline breakonthru

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2024, 08:08:57 AM »
Here's an aerial view of the festival site. Where do you think I should position myself to get a good recording?

https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZStqMZ8OokYMIgkEQ5eLCHsacOmVmus99V

if you are running 4060s with your new deity get where it is somewhat loud, like in front of one side of the PA. since they are omni you want to get to a plsce where the music is loud and the talkers dont want to talk there

you still might meet the heroic people with the superhuman ability to talk over a PA at full volume, they do exist, sadly

Offline Pieteker

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2024, 08:48:56 AM »
I'm reaching out to see which location you prefer for taping at an outdoor festival. Here are the options:

- Center Stage: 8-10 meters (24-30 feet) back from the stage center.

- In Front of the Speaker Stacks: About 3 meters (10 feet) in front of the Left or Right speaker stacks.

Looking forward to hear your take on this!

Offline grawk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2024, 08:55:04 AM »
100% center stage 24-30 ft back, and depending on venue size, I'd decide which mics to use.
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline rocksuitcase

• RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2024, 10:10:45 AM »
A few factors to consider whether stack or "stereo" taping outdoors.
1] Is the mix in stereo? if so, that leads toward center stage
2] Is the audience likely to be more or less loud at either spot? Stack taping generally reduces the nearby talkers, but it is situational for sure.
3] What type of blocking will you have to do at either position? If the center spot includes a bicycle barricade behind or in front of you, better protection, less blocking etc.
4] Is the band or fest "taper friendly". Makes a difference in how the crew and crowd will treat you, of course.

Have a great time!   
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2024, 10:27:18 AM »
Was typing this while Rock posted, conveying much the same idea.

The ideal recording position is the best sounding spot you can successfully manage to record from without stressing out.

Assess and adapt. The specific answer varies with each situation. Depends on the fest. Sometimes you can get a good idea of the best spot in advance- from what you see when first walking in, from listening to the background music through the PA before the show starts, from having been at that venue for similar past shows, from checking photos of the venue beforehand, from asking other tapers.  Given the two specific choices you mention with no other info, I'd setup next to Grawk.. unless there's a potential problem with recording from there that makes stack taping off to the side the better option, such as a super-unruly crowd, crazy moshing going down there, or any number of other things.

The fundamental constraint is being able to successfully record. Getting the best sound is dependent on that. But focusing on the sound alone, my 1st acoustic preference is to be centered and positioned at the forward-most edge of the 'sweet spot'.  The sweet spot being wherever the sound is clearest and most involving, with good balance.  That's frequently 20-30' back in the center, but it might be a further, it might be right up at the stage-lip/rail, or it might be off to one side in line with one PA stack if the sound there is clearer from a position closer to the stage than it is from an centered sweet spot that is too distant.  Also, there may be more than one sweet spot.  Sometimes the forward edge of the typical centered sweetspot is some distance back, and the sound gets muffled and less-clear forward of that.. until you get right up to the stage-lip or rail where fill speakers and the direct on-stage sources create another sweet spot.. which might be way better still.. or not.

If you get the chance during the performance, move around and listen with a critical ear to assess the situation at various positions. Mentally take note of the good potential recording spots, even if you're unable to act on that at present.  Doing that will better prepare you for future recording, even if its at an entirety different venue.

Your preference for the sound you like may differ from other tapers.  Maybe you crave a very dynamic and super lively up-front sound, or maybe you prefer a more evenly mixed but less dynamic sound from a bit further back where things gel more.

I'm now older, and the open rig I currently run is somewhat larger, but I used to run a rig I specifically designed for use right up front/center in the crazy heart of things, where the sound is most rich and impactful and the most enthusiastic audience packs in. This was back when most open rigs were bigger, heavier and bulkier. The rig was small and light enough that I could just grab the stand with small recording bag attached to it and bug out of there if necessary, or easily pick it up and shift over, forward or back while recording as necessary.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline wehideandseek

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • richard from flagstaff
    • No Mas Muertes
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2024, 12:42:50 PM »
Ideal = bring two rigs. (sorry for the obvious response, no snark intended)
"Situation gets rough, then i start to panic..."

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2024, 01:50:30 PM »

If it's a big festival stage and the line arrays are hung high and wide you may want to move farther back if in the center.

If you imagine an equilateral triangle and the base of the triangle is the stage width (guess @ 80ft a typical large festival stage width) and use the calculator to determine the height of the triangle (the point of the triangle opposite the stage in the center) that point is 69.3 feet away. I'd go a little closer than that maybe 50 feet but I'd get in the spot and use my ears to determine the best sounding place.

If it's a madhouse I would get in line with a stack up close and wear earplugs.

Her's a link to the calculator to get height of the triangle based on the A length of one side of an equilateral triangle - https://www.omnicalculator.com/math/equilateral-triangle
Neumann KM140 || Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline breakonthru

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2024, 02:18:52 PM »
Ideal = bring two rigs. (sorry for the obvious response, no snark intended)

This. When I’m at shows where I know there’s no other tapers I always try to bring a b-rig to hand off to somebody. Lesser spec’d gear in a better spot (which often isn’t determined by location relative to the PA at all, but more so by the people around you) wins everytime

Offline Pieteker

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2024, 05:38:39 PM »
Great advice. Thanks everyone!

Offline Pieteker

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2024, 05:40:08 PM »
A few factors to consider whether stack or "stereo" taping outdoors.
1] Is the mix in stereo? if so, that leads toward center stage
2] Is the audience likely to be more or less loud at either spot? Stack taping generally reduces the nearby talkers, but it is situational for sure.
3] What type of blocking will you have to do at either position? If the center spot includes a bicycle barricade behind or in front of you, better protection, less blocking etc.
4] Is the band or fest "taper friendly". Makes a difference in how the crew and crowd will treat you, of course.

Have a great time!   

This is an image of the festival site: https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZStqMZ8OokYMIgkEQ5eLCHsacOmVmus99V

Offline jefflester

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2024, 05:57:13 PM »
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2024, 06:05:27 PM »
Center rail from stage to soundboard splits the audience.  I don't really like it when they do that but it does offer good blocking protection for setting up against it, as long as the sound and light guys at the board don't mind your stand in their line of sight.. or professional video positioned back there, which is a bigger deal breaker.  Even then, you might be able to get away with running low at or just above head height.

I'd guess the best sounding centered position would be either all the way up front at the front-rail/center-rail junction if the front fill speakers are good, or about halfway back. Equilateral triangle point with the PA is probably about 3/4 of the way back to the board.

Safest bet for managing audience (both chatter and wildness) would be to setup all the way in back directly in front of the soundboard, and run the mic stand up as high as possible to get the mics up above the localized chatter.  12' up or more if you can.  You are far more likely to get away with going high like that back there.  The sound should be well balanced there but less impactful and in-your-face than upfront.  That will be the easiest place to open tape for a full festival day.  Although the audience back there will often be more chatty and less into the music than closer to the front.

Best non-centered closer stack-tape position is likely to be in-line with the left PA (stage right) up at the rail of what appears to be a front VIP section - if this fest is setup the same way as the one pictured.  Again, the rail helps block.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 06:07:38 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2024, 06:15:57 PM »
Getting a sense of deja vu here...
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=204987.0;all

Hmm, yeah. Pieteker we're happy to help, but duplicate threads are frowned upon, and for good reason.  Wasted duplicate effort.  Best to keep it all together.  If splitting off to a different thread, post a link to the original. Thanks.

Offline Pieteker

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2024, 03:59:55 AM »
Sorry! Won’t happen again.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2024, 02:01:04 PM »
I do lots of festivals (stealth) and I go dead center.  usually half way to two thirds back dead center unless it's crowded and then parking dead center right in front of soundboard is easier and less issue with crowd.

Offline Top Hat

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2024, 06:57:29 PM »
ROH Using Guns on axis and Cards DIN as insurance if there is windy conditions. I know it is a bit of a stretch but there is a nice dead spot in front of you and you are centered. Another options would be to run right next to that center rail. atleast you have a dead zone on one side of you.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 07:00:07 PM by Top Hat »

Offline Pieteker

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2024, 07:20:33 PM »
I’m thrilled to share two of my recordings from the festival with you all. Take a listen and let me know which one you like best!
Check them out here: https://wetransfer.com/downloads/4616b6c121110bd17d375a808aa742c620240721225217/4a9b2c

Offline AbbyTaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2024, 09:04:19 PM »
I’m thrilled to share two of my recordings from the festival with you all. Take a listen and let me know which one you like best!
Check them out here: https://wetransfer.com/downloads/4616b6c121110bd17d375a808aa742c620240721225217/4a9b2c

Man...I'm shocked.  It's Keane!  :yack:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.19 seconds with 60 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com