Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: T+ UA-5 in front of OCM R-44?  (Read 1761 times)

Offline skotdee

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
T+ UA-5 in front of OCM R-44?
« on: August 25, 2009, 01:14:36 PM »
Wondering if, when space permits, it would be advantageous to run my UA-5 in front of the R-44 as opposed to mics straight in. Both units are modded, but I wonder which has better pre's, the T+ or Oade Concert Mod. What do you guys think?

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: T+ UA-5 in front of OCM R-44?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 02:32:25 PM »
I guess it is the obvious answer, but it depends which you prefer the sound of.

If you run UA5 (digital) into the R44, the R44 would just be a bit bucket at that point and it wouldn't matter that you had yours Oade modded, since the Oade mod only changes the analog input stage, not the digital input stage.  I wouldn't run the UA5 analog into the R44 since the UA5 doesn't have a true preamp only output, the analog outputs of the UA5 go through the internal A/D conversion process, so it actually would be analog in > internal A/D > internal D/A > analog out (and then analog in to the R44 > internal A/D conversion again).
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline skotdee

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: T+ UA-5 in front of OCM R-44?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 03:18:31 PM »
Thanks Todd, I'd definitely be running the UA5 digital into the R44, which I understand would only be taking advantage of the UA5 mod, not the R44. I guess what Im wondering is if the T+ UA-5 mod is better in any way than the concert mod on the R44. Looks like I need to run both and compare the two. If there's not a distinguishable difference, there's no sense in going through the extra trouble of running the UA5 in front.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com