Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is an AVR really necessary for me?  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Is an AVR really necessary for me?
« on: December 02, 2007, 11:52:00 AM »
after recently purchasing a new tv and hd-dvd player and changing my internet/tv service, i've been researching AVR's.  Are they really necessary if you currently don't have a surround setup?  While i plan on having one eventually(read: a year or two from now), i'm fine with a 2 channel setup.  Right now i have active monitors, but have been looking into passive setups.  The more i research AVR's the more i'd rather just stick with an active pair and invest in a quality DAC.  Then if i decide to move to passives, i can simply get an amp and maintain a great 2ch setup.

An AVR would be nice to simplify my digital hookups over multiple connection types(and have the power ready if i decide to add to my 2 ch setup with a simple surround setup), but i can easily see how a mytek or apogee DAC would suit my needs.

I realize AVR's have pre outs that could go straight to an active monitor pair, but then i'm simply buying a "digital hookup box". 

So am i better off investing in a DAC now and then getting an AVR or amp(depending on speaker upgrades) later on?  I think i sort of answered my own question typing this post, but i'd love to hear any thoughts you guys have.  thanks!

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Is an AVR really necessary for me?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 10:03:25 PM »
sounds like you're fine without one

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com