Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: help-blown speaker...  (Read 2028 times)

Offline rhinowing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
help-blown speaker...
« on: January 08, 2008, 10:55:31 PM »
So my friend and I purchased a set of speakers recently, and managed to blow one out. We don't have a lot of cash to get it fixed, so we're planning on getting a kit from www.wooferrepair.com. I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out a few things:
1. anyone tried woofer repair? heard good/bad about them?
2. We need to measure our speakers so we get the right size kit....we took the blown one out of the cab and these are the results (see below)

We need to measure as shown in the diagram at http://www.wooferrepair.com/measure.html. The speaker is flat-attach style, but we aren't sure what measurements B and C are (there is no discernible hump in our speaker)...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 10:57:07 PM by rhinowing »
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
Re: help-blown speaker...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 12:21:07 AM »
So my friend and I purchased a set of speakers recently, and managed to blow one out. We don't have a lot of cash to get it fixed, so we're planning on getting a kit from www.wooferrepair.com. I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out a few things:
2. We need to measure our speakers so we get the right size kit....we took the blown one out of the cab and these are the results (see below)

We need to measure as shown in the diagram at http://www.wooferrepair.com/measure.html. The speaker is flat-attach style, but we aren't sure what measurements B and C are (there is no discernible hump in our speaker)...

If your speaker is "BLOWN" as in an open or shorted voice coil, its not really a do it your self job to recone a speaker. Putting a new surround on, is a do it your self job. But your speaker has a non replaceable surround because its made from fiber and it is doped surround. So I am not sure what speaker this is, I have never seen such a big surround on a woofer before. I would get a professional to re cone it. Or consider replacing both speakers. How did you blow it up? too much power or two much distortion? Anyway good luck there are a few places to get cheap replacement speakers if you want to replace it let me know and I will shoot you a few names.

As for getting it reconed if it can be reconed your looking at $75 to $150 per speaker and if the other speaker was exposed to the same signal that took out this one it wont be too far behind.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline rhinowing

• Trade Count: (0)
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 12:52:30 AM »

If your speaker is "BLOWN" as in an open or shorted voice coil, its not really a do it your self job to recone a speaker. Putting a new surround on, is a do it your self job. But your speaker has a non replaceable surround because its made from fiber and it is doped surround. So I am not sure what speaker this is, I have never seen such a big surround on a woofer before. I would get a professional to re cone it. Or consider replacing both speakers. How did you blow it up? too much power or two much distortion? Anyway good luck there are a few places to get cheap replacement speakers if you want to replace it let me know and I will shoot you a few names.

As for getting it reconed if it can be reconed your looking at $75 to $150 per speaker and if the other speaker was exposed to the same signal that took out this one it wont be too far behind.

Chris

Its an older speaker, purchased on Craigslist. There's a sticker on one of the smaller woofers with the date April 23rd, 1983. I will have another look inside it tomorrow...thanks for the help!

edit-I have no idea what power or distortion are with regards to speakers
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 12:55:15 AM by rhinowing »
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 12:57:32 AM »

Chris

Its an older speaker, purchased on Craigslist. There's a sticker on one of the smaller woofers with the date April 23rd, 1983. I will have another look inside it tomorrow...thanks for the help!

edit-I have no idea what power or distortion are with regards to speakers
This looks like a bass guitar speaker or PA speaker anything from 1983 is going to need to be reconed soon if it was used in a professional application. I would say if these were stereo speakers it could be another mater but they look like something out of a guitar amp or stage monitor. Maybe community sound? take a picture of the back of the speaker for me.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com