Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Two new Rycote shock mounts  (Read 4344 times)

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Two new Rycote shock mounts
« on: April 19, 2020, 07:50:22 PM »
I just came across these two new Rycote mounts:

041138 InVision On-Camera

At $39.95 it is by far the cheapest mount they sell.  The hot shoe mount with integrated 3/8"-16 female thread is quite clever.
The big unknown is what the shore hardness is compared to the modular Duo-Lyres, because this one is not specified.
EDIT: Simon Davies at Rycote told me that the stiffness is identical to the 68-shore Duo-Lyre used on the INV-HG mkIII.  That makes this mount rather stiff, suitable for higher-mass mics.
If you are using a horizontal round stereo bar such as popular Delrin or 3D-printed ones, this mount would be perfect as an alternative to the much more expensive INV-HG mkIII.

041110 INV-6 SOFT

This mount is a standard INV-6 base, but using 62-shore lyres, instead of the 72-shore that come with the standard INV-6.
Besides the Schoeps CMC 1 and Sennheiser MKH 8000 it is intended for, it would be perfect for the Line Audio mics which have similar low mass.
This same product was available before, but only as special order through a Rycote distributor.  You could also replace the lyres yourself on any INV bases you own already.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 06:19:47 PM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Two new Rycote shock mounts
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 10:11:31 PM »
Cool! For $40 each, I might have to get 2 or 4 of those!?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 11:56:07 PM »

I'm really eager to try one too the one I ordered.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 12:08:30 AM by noahbickart »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Online voltronic

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 09:01:22 PM »

I'm really eager to try one too the one I ordered.

;D

If you pick one up, please let us know what the stiffness / compliance is like.  I just sent an email to Rycote asking as well.  I expect the 041138 may perform identically to the Duo-Lyre 68, especially since the product photos show it on a boom pole. If that were the case though, then I don't know why this new mount exists, as they could continue to sell the very popular INV-III HG, and also the InVision Video Hot Shoe.

If I had my way, this new mount would be softer / more compliant than the Duo-Lyre 68, more like you find in a pair of single 72-shore Lyres.  That would be the most useful addition to the product lineup, IMHO.  Maybe it could be called a Duo-Lyre 62.

BTW, if anyone out there is confused (as I was for a long time) how a 68-shore Duo-Lyre is stiffer than a pair of 72-shore Lyres, check out this thread.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 11:12:52 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Rycote should put you on the payroll!
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Online voltronic

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 07:13:45 AM »
Here is the correspondence so far of my inquiry to Rycote support regarding the InVision On-Camera.

My initial email:
Hello,

I have just come across the new 041138 InVison On-Camera mount. I would like to know what the compliance of this particular Duo-Lyre is compared to the modular Duo-Lyre 68 and Duo-Lyre 72.

I also am curious to know which is the correct progression of greatest to least compliance below, and where the new 041138 fits in if it is different than the existing modular units. This is based on anecdotal experience from myself and others I have spoken to who have used your excellent products, though I have not tried the full range. For single lyres, I am assuming a pair being used on one mic.
Single Lyre 62 > Single Lyre 72 > Single Lyre 82 > Duo-Lyre 68 > Duo-Lyre 72

or...

Single Lyre 62 > Single Lyre 72 > Duo-Lyre 68 > Single Lyre 82 > Duo-Lyre 72

Thank you!

Response:
Hello,

thanks for contacting us. I try to explain in a few words.
The key difference between the two mounts is whether or not you’ll be fitting any form of windscreen on the mics. The new InVision Camera mount is designed to support the mic from the rear, and allows weight to be added in the form of slip-on windscreen solutions (heavier than foams).

The Single Lyres are a pure 'cradle' suspension with more complaint Lyres®, and can only handle a foam gag.
The INV 7HG MkIII + Camera mount is slightly stiffer.
So ultimately, it depends on how you’re planning to use your mics.

I hope that answers your question - if you need anything else please give me a shout.

Cheers,

My follow-up:

Thank you for your reply.  To clarify: Is it true that the Duo-Lyre used for the InVision On-Camera is less stiff than the Duo-Lyre used for the INV7 HG MkIII?

The use case I am interested in is due this mount to hold a main stereo pair of mics in a round-stock 20mm bar, atop a stand for choral / orchestral recording.  The INV-HG Mk III is often used for this, but for a pair of lightweight mics such as the MKH 8000 series or the Line Audio range, the 68 shore Duo-Lyre is too stiff.

I have found that an INV-6 or INV-7 with the standard 72-shore single Lyres gives much better isolation for this application, but the new InVision On-Camera seems to be a more elegant solution if its stiffness is in fact less than the other Duo-Lyres.

I appreciate your patience with my questions. 

Response:
I´ll need to find out.
Will keep you posted.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online voltronic

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 03:54:38 PM »
Update: The ever-helpful Simon Davies added his insight.  TL;DR - the Duo-Lyre on the new InVision On-Camera is identical to that on the INV-HG mkIII with the 68-shore Duo-Lyre.

My takeaway is: Why would anyone buy the INV-HG mkIII at $70, when you can have almost the exact same thing, plus the addition of a hot shoe mount for with the $40 InVision On-Camera?  The only thing I can see that favors the INV-HG mkIII is if you need the mount to be modular, so you can swap out Lyres for different applications.

I'll jump in;

> Is it true that the Duo-Lyre used for the InVision On-Camera is less stiff than the Duo-Lyre used for the INV7 HG MkIII?

The Duo-Lyre used for the INV-7 HG MkIII & InVision Video are identical, both 68-shore hardness.

> The use case I am interested in is due this mount to hold a main stereo pair of mics in a round-stock 20mm bar, atop a stand for choral / orchestral recording. The INV-HG Mk III is often used for this, but for a pair of lightweight mics such as the MKH 8000 series or the Line Audio range, the 68 shore Duo-Lyre is too stiff.

For lightweight mics like the MKH 8000 series or Line Audio CM3, the Duo-Lyre really isn't going to provide the needed isolation. This isn't due to the shore hardness, its down to the side thickness of the Lyres. The design of the Duo-Lyre is wider that a universal Lyre, as it needs to provide support on mics held at the rear (with foam gags or Softies). So even though its softer at 68-shore than a Universal Lyre at 72-shore, it feels stiffer.  The good news is, the Universal Lyres will fit into the bar of the INV-7 HG MkIII or InVision Video, to replace the Duo-Lyre. For the shorter, lightweight 8000 series or CM3, I'd recommend the 62-shore Universal Lyres. The 62-shore Lyres can also be bought as the "INV-6 Soft" InVision.

> I have found that an INV-6 or INV-7 with the standard 72-shore single Lyres gives much better isolation for this application, but the new InVision On-Camera seems to be a more elegant solution if its stiffness is in fact less than the other Duo-Lyres.

Sadly, the only shock mount we cannot switch the Lyres on, is the InVision On-Camera (INV-OC). This is because the clip & Lyres are moulded as one piece in 72-shore. I designed the INV-OC recently, so I'll have a look at whether a future version of the InVision INV-6 & INV-7 could use some of the parts. However, this won't happen overnight I'm afraid.

I hope that all makes some sense - if not please don't hesitate to give me a shout direct.

Cheers,
Simon
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 04:19:17 PM »
That on camera mount would be perfect to use with a stereo mic like the 8022 for a nice, all in one setup for youtube. if only my M50 didn't have the 30 minute limit.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline IronFilm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 10:46:21 AM »

I should get one myself to put on my spare boom pole that I loan out to friends/students, rather than using one of my existing shockmounts. Seems like it would still be good enough to get the job done.

Offline justme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 05:49:31 PM »
This is quite interesting.

A couple of years ago I bought a pair of the INV-7 and a couple of sets of additional Lyre 62.

This way I could utilise the longer INV-7 with both the Lyre 72 and softer 62.
And when using CM3/4 I attach the 62 at the shorter distance then when longer and heavier mics use it with the 72.

It works very well n

Online voltronic

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 06:21:24 PM »
This is quite interesting.

A couple of years ago I bought a pair of the INV-7 and a couple of sets of additional Lyre 62.

This way I could utilise the longer INV-7 with both the Lyre 72 and softer 62.
And when using CM3/4 I attach the 62 at the shorter distance then when longer and heavier mics use it with the 72.

It works very well n

That's a good way to have lots of flexibility, as long as you don't mind switching the Lyres when needed.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline hagstrom71

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 12:17:46 PM »
I picked one of the invision camera mounts  to check out thanks to this thread.
I thought the hotshoe camera mount would screw off, but I don't believe it does.
Not a big deal but I assumed it would. 
It seems a touch stiffer than the INV-HG mkIII, but that may be due to not having the open area.
Still a good more affordable option for 3d bars or sdc. 

Online voltronic

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2021, 06:02:00 AM »
I picked one of the invision camera mounts  to check out thanks to this thread.
I thought the hotshoe camera mount would screw off, but I don't believe it does.
Not a big deal but I assumed it would. 
It seems a touch stiffer than the INV-HG mkIII, but that may be due to not having the open area.
Still a good more affordable option for 3d bars or sdc.

Thanks for the report. I had assumed that the hot shoe mount unscrews because of the exposed threading you can see in the pictures. I suppose it doesn't matter because of the integrated 3/8" female thread at the bottom.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com