Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Video tips stealth & open.  (Read 7082 times)

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Video tips stealth & open.
« on: March 11, 2004, 11:59:21 PM »
I'm looking for tips not giving them.  8)

Got a fairly nice Sony camcorder a few months ago. Looks like the only audio imput is a Mic in jack. I want to try AT853>BB>mic in. I think I could stealth this in the right situation fairly easy.

Plan on doing some festival recordings this spring & summer as well. In situations like this should I sync the audio from a full rig in post production? Or run mic in straight to the camcorder from a full rig or the 853's?

My camcorder has the option to record sound in 16 bit, digital 8 or hi8. Which one should I use?

I'm looking for easy options that will still sound good. Never tried any kind of video recording before. hell I've barely picked up a camcorder before I this one.

Any suggestions appreciated  
 :help:
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline Willie T.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
    • My Site (down), well sometimes it is.
Re:Video tips stealth & open.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 08:21:54 AM »
Does the camcorder allow you to record longer without the audio channels going?   You would be able to squeeze out more time per media this way.  
"Man or woman, if you aren't getting laid, you're being too picky. You just have to find that delicate balance between personal satisfaction and shame." -- Teabag

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 09:20:25 AM »
Does the camcorder allow you to record longer without the audio channels going?   You would be able to squeeze out more time per media this way.  

My understanding is using a metal digital tape thats 120 min. Recording in hi8 or digital 8 cuts the time in half. 16 bit recordings would use the full 120 min. No difference between audio & video in runtimes.

I'd like everything to be on the tape when I get home. Because I'm lazy. But if it makes a huge difference I can learn how to sync things up.

I'm doing this for personal use, friends, tapers. Not to be traded.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline Willie T.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
    • My Site (down), well sometimes it is.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 08:26:32 PM »
For times when taping policy wasn't an issue, imho, i would go without the audio, and get all the video I could on to one tape, and it would allow you to focus more on getting good shots than worrying about a stand, or keeping the onboard mic pointing in a good direction.  For stealthing though i would see the benifits of doing both at once, less equipment to carry and such.
"Man or woman, if you aren't getting laid, you're being too picky. You just have to find that delicate balance between personal satisfaction and shame." -- Teabag

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2004, 11:56:26 PM »
general tip, dont zoom and pan- you dont have the equipment to do it smoothly and professionally- its easier just to hold one shot and stay with that and it looks way better

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 09:06:08 PM »
If for nothing else, (and this is where I deviate from the above postings) record crappy audio on the tape *atleast*. This way you'll have something to use during syncing later if its an issue. Also, if its even remotely possible, tape in Hi-8/Digital8 and not the standard 120min. Why? You get better resolution for your image and more overall detail (notice I didnt say the word "noticable", I'm working on stats for a reason). Its the same reason people tape in 24/96. Not because we can tell *that* much of a difference, but because it is better, and given the right equipment, you can tell its better. Same applies here, you want your master to be as good as you can get it to be. (or atleast I've always had that philosophy)

I worked with VHS, SVHS, Beta, and U-Matic (the name excapes me, but they were almost a full inch and were used in the 70s/80s) and digital processing at work and I'd kill for something like Digital Beta or something else highend when working with the final output being on DVD.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Xpanding Man

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 12:48:16 PM »
general tip, dont zoom and pan- you dont have the equipment to do it smoothly and professionally- its easier just to hold one shot and stay with that and it looks way better

my remote for the sony trv33 has a decent speed for zoooming, though the zoom on the camera is admittedly WAY to sensitive....although, those quick zooms do remind me of some rather heady acid trips  ;)  
The ships of state sail on mirage & drown in sand (R.Hunter)

open: Busman Actives / ADK TL's / MK012s > V3 > DR70 / iRiver
stealth: AT 943 > Church Uglybox > Tascam DR2

Being Taped: 
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, Olsondoc (Languedoc Copy), Mod Midi Strat, SG, 335, etc. 
Effects: Too many
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II
Acoustics: Martin D-35 / Gitane DG-250 (Selmer Style) / Kick-Ass German Archtop (Glasl)

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 04:29:44 PM »
i agree with jonny, especially with stealth vids.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 06:32:32 PM »
I think you should skip the whole thing and work through Kramer to get Seinfeld to do the job right.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2004, 11:45:36 AM »
I think you should skip the whole thing and work through Kramer to get Seinfeld to do the job right.

Yeah, but he's going to need three cameras, one in the balcony....it just gets messy.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline mizary

• Taperssection Member
  • Bam!
    • Go buy some Elvis stuff!
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2004, 10:50:53 AM »
any luck with AT853>BB>mic in?

I tried that with my sony trv-22 (i think that's it) a few months back at YMSB and it sounded horrible - lots of clipping.

I think the problem is not being able to control levels.  When using the built in mic, the camera adjusts the gain (is that the correct term?) based on the volume of the audio being recorded.  But it seems that with external mics it does not do this...

Unless I was doing something wrong (very possible)

ANd fyi.  My camera has two audio choices...  which I believe were 12-bit (I think it was 12) and 16-bit...  The 12-bit was default, which allows you to go back and mix a second audio track on top later - like a commentary.  At least I think that's what it's for.  Very odd.

Also I was very surprised by the quality of the sound from the built in mics.  I don't think the 853's>bb would be a huge improvement.  Maybe someday i'll run a comp between the two.

--mizary
Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2004, 09:56:28 PM »

Also I was very surprised by the quality of the sound from the built in mics.  I don't think the 853's>bb would be a huge improvement.  Maybe someday i'll run a comp between the two.

--mizary

I believe the train of thought in using external mics is mainly to avoid distortion , the generally improved sound quality is a side benefit.   of course if you can use a non stealth rig with full sized mics , a\d etc go for it !
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline Jamie

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a lurker
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2004, 06:59:45 AM »
I have a friend who has video taped bands for years.  He does it two ways.  You can try running out of the headphone jack and into the camera...instead of using the line-out.  When you have access to power source, he runs a line from the camera to a VCR and a line from the sbd (or my mics) into the VCR.  Hope this helps.
Jamie

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.363 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com