Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: wordclock question  (Read 1892 times)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
wordclock question
« on: January 04, 2008, 12:36:49 PM »
sorry if this isn't the right spot, not sure it ifs a recorder question or editing question or exactly what it is...
if you have 2 recorders and they are linked together - i know you can line up the files easy in audacity or whatever program you like
BUT
do you need to have the raw files to work with or would it still work if you DLed one of the files/show tracked out from a bt site?

basically i guess the question is do you need raw files or would the word clock stay with the file after editing it?
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: wordclock question
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 01:14:56 PM »
They would need to be synced to a single clock when it is recorded. Not in post.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 01:21:03 PM »
They would need to be synced to a single clock when it is recorded. Not in post.
thanks
thats what i figured but never was sure
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 01:27:59 PM »
the problem becomes no clock is perfect.  If you have 2 independent clocks one might for example be .03% fast and the other .02% slow.  These are totally made up numbers but you get the idea.  After a given period of time it is very easy to be out of synch a full second or more.  Even a 10th of a second is very audible.  That's why pro devices have an external clock input so you can keep all devices synched to a common clock.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 02:01:12 PM »
sorry if this isn't the right spot, not sure it ifs a recorder question or editing question or exactly what it is...
if you have 2 recorders and they are linked together - i know you can line up the files easy in audacity or whatever program you like
BUT
do you need to have the raw files to work with or would it still work if you DLed one of the files/show tracked out from a bt site?

basically i guess the question is do you need raw files or would the word clock stay with the file after editing it?

I think you are implying that both sources were originally synced -

My feeling is no - you dont need the raw files...If they were clock-synced in the first place, I doubt any editing would "reclock" them...

I'd give it try...

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 05:35:49 PM »
I agree, if they were originally sync'ed to a single clock, they should stay that way...

BUT... what if each 2-ch source (I'm assuming we're talking about 2x 2-channel sources) were processed in some fashion independent of each other (ie. resampling)?  could that cause some drift if you tried to mix them back together?

BUT

I think you are implying that both sources were originally synced -

My feeling is no - you dont need the raw files...If they were clock-synced in the first place, I doubt any editing would "reclock" them...

I'd give it try...
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline willndmb

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 06:58:01 PM »
yes
if they were originally synced via work clock
then one or both of the files were tracked out and you tried to mix them as "broken" tracks would they still mix without issue

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.178 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com