Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SLIM DEVICES Squeeze box  (Read 18551 times)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: SLIM DEVICES Squeeze box
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2006, 04:25:25 PM »

really?  what use does a corporate board have for a flac player?

Well it all depends on how you look at its intended use.  You and I will think of it as a FLAC player.  I have a client that is a Fortune 10 company.  You mention the word mp3, compressed or anything with tunes in the name to them and they'll kill you.  But mention state of the art, wave of the future, uncompressed and secure and they'll bite.   Very much overkill for their purposes but its all about perception.   A strange example is like the office workers that only use Office and the web who have to have a digital flat panel monitor.  Well in reality they most likely will never ever notice the better quality of monitor because they still use lower quality technology.  But the office worker will swear to you that they are more productive now because they have a digital flat panel.

I'm not one to argue when someone with the money buys something that is overkill.

why?  can't you still get that Airtunes gizmo?  anyone other than us geeks who is looking to get their music from pc to stereo is likely using Itunes.

Again this is a perception thing.   I have an Ikea down the street that recently opened.  My wife and I went the first week.  In one of the sections of the store I saw an employee opening a squeezebox box.  I asked if they were selling them for some strange reason.  He told us that they play different music or musak in each part of the store and they used the squeezebox to have the different channels in the different departments.

You and I look at these devices for the feature limits like FLAC playback.  Others are just fired up that it does mp3.  Take the MicroTrack 2496.  How many owners do you think use the full capability of the devise and how many use it strictly to record in mp3.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2006, 04:34:36 PM »
ok, either you're missing my point, or i'm missing yours.  re: the corporate board, what actual use does a wireless audio player have?  you say "overkill for their purposes" but i haven't figured out what their purpose is at all.

the ikea use actually sounds pretty reasonable.  but my point there was that the reason these things are not "mainstream" is that the feature set is geared toward a niche.  mainstream users go with something like Airtunes.  i mean if it wasn't for this forum, i'd have no idea that the squeezebox exists.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2006, 04:46:01 PM »
My CMC6's and KC5 collettes came from a board room installation.. They had an active gooseneck mounted MK4S at each seat.  Apparently the MK4S is great for "You're fired".

I'll bet Ikea saves a ton using the squeezbox.

I'm sure they play mood music at some of the board meetings.  Maybe some of the board members even have their own theme music when they enter.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2006, 05:29:44 PM »
ok, either you're missing my point, or i'm missing yours.  re: the corporate board, what actual use does a wireless audio player have?  you say "overkill for their purposes" but i haven't figured out what their purpose is at all.

Let me try and give a couple of examples from my experiences.

A company that I am currently on the Board of Advisors for has monthly meetings for the Board of Advisors as well as separate meetings for the Board of Directors.  Two separate boards.  (NOTE: This company was the one that actually turned me on to the squeezebox).  At our last meeting we all sat and listened to the CEO talking about the company growth and so on.  We then turned our focus to what analysts were saying about the company.  Turn on the squeezebox.  Roughly around 20 analyst feeds were being broadcast from the web to an office where one of this companies tech workers was maintaining the feed for us.  Due to the the discussion in the board room he was not allowed in that meeting or board room.   The tech knew which part and how much of each feed to broadcast before switching feeds.  This was arrainged ahead of time so that we in the room only heard what we needed to and not what we didn't.   We were quickly able to move from feed to feed without some tech or other person being in the room (he was in another room)

In that example we (board) needed to hear audio as part of a sensitive as well as confidential meeting.  The squeezebox allowed us to have the meeting in private.  The tech did listen to the feed was was fine as long as he was not listening to our conversation. 

Another example would be a situation where different members of a board were in different offices for a meeting.  The audio feed is broadcast to those members at their individual convenience in their own offices instead of working everyone's schedule to all be in the same room.   This also helps with certain DRM issues that some companies are working with now.  Let's say an analyst files a report and DRM's it so that only specific people can listen to it.  Well a company has one person with a licence to listen .  By broadcasting it over the squeezebox all of the people who need to hear it can without having to be in the one person's office.

Again FLAC isn't a thought.  But being able to have private meetings with a room full of non-techies present but still helping is very valuable.

The perception is that the squeezebox can do this better than anything with the name 'tunes" in it.  The reality is that the AirPort probably could have very well done the same thing.  In the first example though we only saw the squeezebox on the credenza and not a computer on the table.

« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2006, 09:23:40 AM »
Just doing some gear swappin' this morning..  For a while I was running squeezebox3 > dna125 > VR4genI.. It was Nice.  I recently moved some stuff around and decided to add a pre-amp back in the chain...  I lost *significant* detail when I switched to squeezebox3 > Linn LK1 > dna125 > VR4genI.

Granted, the LK1 is old tech, etc. But I kinda doubt any preamp could improve the detail when inserted between the source and the amp.  Though I do get more output from the amp when running the pre.  It would be nice to find a reasonably priced pre that doesn't kill the sound when I put it in the chain.  I mainly need to accomodate my turntable and at least two aux ins (sb3 + other).

Squeezebox3 > amp is a damn good sounding low cost option....

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2006, 08:47:54 PM »
Has anyone used any of the 3rd party plugins for their squeezebox?  They have an xm plugin that looks pretty cool.

Anyone?
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2007, 10:34:45 PM »

How much improvement would a Squeezebox3 > DAC > amp  get you?  The dac in the sb3 is pretty decent, right?  Looking to get a sb3, but I also might be selling my external dac to help fund this.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2007, 11:33:56 PM »

How much improvement would a Squeezebox3 > DAC > amp  get you?  The dac in the sb3 is pretty decent, right?  Looking to get a sb3, but I also might be selling my external dac to help fund this.

burr brown... really nice sounding dac in the sb3.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2007, 10:53:32 AM »
It would depend on the specific dac.. the sb3 analog out is Very good.  I'd consider dumping the DAC and the pre.

As I mentioned in this thread back in November, I added a preamp back into my sb3 > dna125 > vr4gen1 combo... I didn't like it. I ran that way for a few weeks and am now back direct with no preamp. Definitely a case where less is more.  I've gone back and forth a few times but the difference is dramatic (even on 16 bit material) and I now find it very difficult to accept the degradation of a preamp.  It is frustrating from a convenience standpoint.  The preamp is no slouch, a linn LK1.

Ultimately I need to find a pre or line driver that doesn't muck the sound.  One other shortcoming of running directly into the amp is output levels.  One downside of direct connection is that a preamp normally provides quite a bit of boost beyond line levels.  So although the sb provides full line level output, it is less than a typical pre and ultimately can't reach the levels of my sb3 > pre > dna125.

What are you running for a pre?  I think you should consider testing with and without your pre and consider the possibility that you may not want the pre or the dac in there.

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2007, 01:35:02 PM »
I cannot read all of this thread to see if this new unit has been mentioned. I was coming to this forum (which I had never opened before) to show you this new Slim Devices Transporter Slim Devices Transporter!

ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2007, 08:13:52 AM »
its cool..but too much money.
:)

Im surprised to hear that Lin preamp is screwing w/things.

let me suggest a Modright.  Carl has one.  Its the best i've ever heard. 
the Symp+ w/a good set of rolled tubes is also *very* nice, on par w/the modright, and 1/2 the price.
the modright is better still though.  not by a long shot, but noticeable.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com