Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What is everyone using for stealth mics?  (Read 15966 times)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: What is everyone using for stealth mics?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 12:03:04 PM »
Hey, thanks for the heads up ;)
+T

No prob, +T as well.  8)

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 01:55:02 PM »
I am another Nevaton MCE 400 user.  An incredible mic for my purposes.  These things have been wonderful on un-amplified, stage lip, electric and acoustic acts.  For what these things go for new, nothing can touch them in the class.  I owned AT 933's for over ten years, very significant upgrade to those and all of the Senn. tapes I've heard. 

The only thing that prevents me from getting a pair right now is the MCE 400 48v power requiriments. I've been listening to amazing recordings with those omni mics. ;)

Power requirements for the MCE400 are actually 12-48V (some specs say 9V-52V, although I have not tested that yet to see if it's accurate).
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 02:16:30 PM »
I am another Nevaton MCE 400 user.  An incredible mic for my purposes.  These things have been wonderful on un-amplified, stage lip, electric and acoustic acts.  For what these things go for new, nothing can touch them in the class.  I owned AT 933's for over ten years, very significant upgrade to those and all of the Senn. tapes I've heard. 

The only thing that prevents me from getting a pair right now is the MCE 400 48v power requiriments. I've been listening to amazing recordings with those omni mics. ;)

Power requirements for the MCE400 are actually 12-48V (some specs say 9V-52V, although I have not tested that yet to see if it's accurate).

I'm very iinterested about that. That being said, a Nevaton MCE400 would work with a regular 12v or 9v battery box terminated with regular 1/8" plug?
I'd get a pair, that's for sure. IMHO they sound better than the DPA 4061 ( and costs less  ;) )
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 02:27:19 PM »

I'm very iinterested about that. That being said, a Nevaton MCE400 would work with a regular 12v or 9v battery box terminated with regular 1/8" plug?
I'd get a pair, that's for sure. IMHO they sound better than the DPA 4061 ( and costs less  ;) )

I can't say for sure about the 9V box, but almost certainly a 12V box would work.  It would require XLR inputs but could be wired for 1/8" output.

Richard (illconditioned) is the only person I know (so far) who has a working battery box for the MCE400.  He is not making them for others at this time though. 

It's on our list of things to do, but we haven't gotten to it yet.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 02:41:39 PM »

I can't say for sure about the 9V box, but almost certainly a 12V box would work.  It would require XLR inputs but could be wired for 1/8" output.

Richard (illconditioned) is the only person I know (so far) who has a working battery box for the MCE400.  He is not making them for others at this time though. 

Thanks a lot for your fast response. Good to know that this is on your list of things to do.
I'd really appreciate if you let me know about those battery boxes. The Denecke power supply looks like an awesome piece of gear and it is portable, but it's not quite stealthable for my standards, so a bb would be really nice.
Thanks again  ;)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 02:49:39 PM by Dede2002 »

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 03:01:17 PM »

NEVATON MCE 400 - Technical Data
Directional pattern
omnidirectional

Frequency-range
20 - 20.000 Hz

Free Field Sensitivity at 1000 Hz and 1000 Ω
10 +/-2 mV/Pa

Equivalent SPL DIN/IEC 651
24 dB-A

Max. Sound Pressure Level [for THD 0,5% ]
132 dB

Dynamic range
108 dB

Nominal Impedance
50 Ω

Recommended Load Impedance
1000 Ω

Current Consumption
10 mA

Supply voltage
9V -52 V

Diameter, Length
8mm, 15mm

Connector Type   
3-pin XLR-type standard
Pin assignment:pin1: ground, pin2:phase(+), pin3:phase(-)

http://russian-mics.com/product_info.php/cPath/21_28/products_id/38?osCsid=0ee002cbadb14207a0b284af9bfe4a6b
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 03:20:40 PM »
We have found some errors on the European distributor's site in the past, so you may want to take the information listed there with a grain of salt.  The word from the factory is they require 12-48V.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 03:34:18 PM »
We have found some errors on the European distributor's site in the past, so you may want to take the information listed there with a grain of salt.  The word from the factory is they require 12-48V.

Thanks. Still, I'd need a 12V  BB with XLR inputs, which I do not have. :P

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 05:11:12 PM »

NEVATON MCE 400 - Technical Data
Directional pattern
omnidirectional

Frequency-range
20 - 20.000 Hz

Free Field Sensitivity at 1000 Hz and 1000 Ω
10 +/-2 mV/Pa

Equivalent SPL DIN/IEC 651
24 dB-A

Max. Sound Pressure Level [for THD 0,5% ]
132 dB

Dynamic range
108 dB

Nominal Impedance
50 Ω

Recommended Load Impedance
1000 Ω

Current Consumption
10 mA

Supply voltage
9V -52 V

Diameter, Length
8mm, 15mm

Connector Type   
3-pin XLR-type standard
Pin assignment:pin1: ground, pin2:phase(+), pin3:phase(-)

http://russian-mics.com/product_info.php/cPath/21_28/products_id/38?osCsid=0ee002cbadb14207a0b284af9bfe4a6b

9 volt is all you need..

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 05:11:52 PM »
We have found some errors on the European distributor's site in the past,

you mean too much copy and paste?  ;D

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 05:23:38 PM »

Richard here  :).

OK, I *love* the sound of the Nevaton, but watch out for quality control.  Two pairs purchased, one died, the other not matched at all!!!

I've recently tried Countryman B6 and Countryman B3.  These are *fantastic* sounding mics, pretty close to the Nevatons, and much better quality control.  Why do they sound good?  Someone @ Countryman.com told me they have a stainless steel diaphragm.  Maybe a coincidence, but Nevaton has stainless as well...

If you want to hear something great, listen to my clip "Hey Rosetta" on http://Soundmann.com.  This is an acoustic set (only voice and acoustic guitar are amplified a bit).  The B6 overload unfortunately (audience noise between songs).  Testing B3 now.  I got a great clip "Molly Johnson" with B3, but right channel is a bit off.  Mics exchanged and expected (tomorrow!).  Will report back, but I think B3 are a winner.  They are approx $150 each (street) with pigtails, and can use a standard (9v) battery box.  Check these out.  Sound fantastic and they're indestructable.  Sound better than DPA IMO.  Much better.  Maybe not as good as the Nevaton, but I can't deal with the mismatches and the fragility of these mics.

Richard

PS: Anyone want to purchase some of my other "hat" mics?  I've got a pair of Sennheiser MKE2 (2.2k mod, miniplug end), and DPA4060 (hardwired to battery box, miniplug pigtail).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 05:28:35 PM by illconditioned »
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2008, 07:03:17 PM »

OK, I *love* the sound of the Nevaton, but watch out for quality control.  Two pairs purchased, one died, the other not matched at all!!!

Nevaton did not start supplying matched pairs to the US distributor until I requested they do so.  As far as I know, I am the only one who actually sells "matched" pairs at the moment though.

All Nevaton come with a 2 year warranty, so you should be able to exchange your dead mic for a new one Richard.

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2008, 09:09:32 PM »

Nevaton did not start supplying matched pairs to the US distributor until I requested they do so.  As far as I know, I am the only one who actually sells "matched" pairs at the moment though.

All Nevaton come with a 2 year warranty, so you should be able to exchange your dead mic for a new one Richard.
I can't really exchange the mic since I removed the XLR connector.  I ended up cutting the cables too, because I scuffed them.  The cables are of *really* poor quality.  Basically the only thing I like are the capsules.  If you could sell me a matched set of capsule, with pigtails only, I might consider it.  But then, I don't want to risk losing another pair.  Sorry, I've moved on to the Countryman!

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2008, 09:19:58 PM »

By the way, did anyone listen to my Countryman samples?  I really like these.

Oh yeah: here is a quick tip for matching test.  Listen up folks.  First, generate "pink" noise (I used the open source program Audacity, available on Windows, Mac and Linux).  Then play back at a moderate level, eg., 80dBA.  Hold the mics side-by-side (as close as you can get them, like 1/2" apart max) about 6 to 12" in front of the speaker, and record the noise.  Then analyse the spectrum.  I use the "Waves" plugin called "Analyzer" running in Wavelab.  I set the levels to RMS and response to "slow".  The curves are all over the place, but the mics should track each other.

Here are some curves.

First, a set of Countryman B3 mics that *do not* match:

Now a set of mics (Sennheiser KE4) that *do* match:

It is not showing absolute level well (you need an anechoic chamber and calibrated measurement apparatus to do that  ;D), but the relative level will tell you if the mics are OK.  Note that it is unlikely that both mics will fail in the same way, so if they are equal, they are probably both matched and working!

Richard

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2008, 09:38:45 PM »

By the way, did anyone listen to my Countryman samples?  I really like these.

Richard

Me too.
Very interested. What about high SPL? Are they OK?
+T for the tests.
Thanks in advance  ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com