Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Disc storage?  (Read 7984 times)

Offline evilchris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
Disc storage?
« on: August 05, 2008, 11:19:29 AM »
Alright ... With 700+ factory-pressed CDs and 400+ DVDs, the sheer volume of storage needed for all those jewel cases and DVD cases is staggering and, to be honest, is eating a huge hole out of our storage closet at the apartment.

I've looked into DiscSox and JewelSleeve options, but paying $0.50 per album is a bit more than I was hoping for.  I'd like to keep all of the artwork in-tact, in case I decide to sell or loan the physical media, but that's proving to be difficult.  :(

At the absolute minimum, I'd like to keep discs and liner notes together for CDs, plus discs and cover art for DVDs.  Sleeve-style storage is best, for space and weight reasons, but I'm open to just about anything.

Thanks.
nothing > nada > R-09

kskreider

Re: Disc storage?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 12:45:27 PM »
Yes, ditch the cases.  In my opinion you should have made the swap to sleeves a while ago. 

A while back I found the Caselogic 2PFR-500 (now discontinued) for ~$75 which was 500 double-sided vivyl sleeves with insert tools.  I bought two or three of them, hacked an IKEA MALM dresser for storage, and never looked back.  Now that the dresser is full of audio CDs everything gets cataloged as data onto numbered spindles and gets played back via a Rockbox'd Gigabeat. 

I really wish my problem was only 1100 discs.  Consider yourself lucky.

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 03:06:30 PM »
I didn't want to ditch cases, so i picked up some cabinets that are meant for retail stores form the used cd store i used to manage when it closed. I went from this:

to this:

Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 03:29:38 PM »
I have these

http://www.can-am.ca/

expensive, but great

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 03:38:35 AM »
I use the big Case Logic CD notebooks that hold like 200 CDs in each one.  I put the CD on one side and the booklet on the other, take apart the cases to save the back insert, and then throw the cases away.  And I purchased a bookcase at Target to hold everything.  Problem now is that the entire bookcase is used up with the CD notebooks.  When you have over 2,000 CDs, these things will happen.

I'll probably end up purchasing a terrabyte hard drive and FLAC'ing everything at some point, but that will take approximately forever.  We'll see what happens.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 06:29:44 AM »

Offline evilchris

• Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 12:37:44 PM »
I use the big Case Logic CD notebooks that hold like 200 CDs in each one.  I put the CD on one side and the booklet on the other, take apart the cases to save the back insert, and then throw the cases away. 

This is what I'm leaning toward, with a box for the box sets and digipacks.  How do you store the tray cards?

And I still need a DVD solution.  :(  I'm thinking that I'll probably do something very similar to this, then store all of the case artwork in file folders or something.
nothing > nada > R-09

Offline evilchris

• Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 12:38:48 PM »
http://tinyurl.com/56qkmb

I still have a ton of physical discs to store (10 boxes is too much!). 

And ripping/tagging/etc. my DVD collection is more labor-intensive that it's worth right now.
nothing > nada > R-09

kskreider

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 01:00:24 PM »
Not to mention that the hdd option is best only as a back-up to physical discs.  However. everything fails at some point.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 02:36:49 PM »
a ton of options on this site: http://www.cdrackshoppe.com/index.html. problem is you need lots of wall space.

i've been fighting this same battle for years now. my solution was to stop burning :laugh: some of the rolling cabinets in the links above are nice though.

cmoorevt

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 02:46:39 PM »
I just went thru the jewel case>sleeve conversion a year ago.

I started by purchasing a few of those 6 inch high Sterilite tubs they sell at walmart.  I use model 1956: http://www.sterilite.com/Category.html?Section=Storage&ProductCategory=39#

These seem to stack pretty well and they make one model that has wheels on the bottom so that you can stack a bunch and roll the whole thing out of the way.

In order to keep things from sliding all over the place, line the inside bottom of the tub with that stuff they use to line the bottom of kitchen cabinets.  

Then get some heavy poster board and cut it into strips to make rows/dividers.   Run the dividers the width of the tub, so in this case, 16 inches long.

Then purchase some of those double sided sleeves and start loading up the rows.  I prefer the Fellowes brand sold at Staples because it contains the little tab on the top on which you can write the artist/album.  

http://www.fellowes.com/Fellowes/site/products/ProductDetails.aspx?Id=90659

Cover art goes in the front sleeve, disc in the back.

Offline evilchris

• Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 03:02:14 PM »
I started by purchasing a few of those 6 inch high Sterilite tubs they sell at walmart.  I use model 1956: http://www.sterilite.com/Category.html?Section=Storage&ProductCategory=39#

:hmmm: How many sleeves fit into a single tub?

Cover art goes in the front sleeve, disc in the back.

What about double-albums (ie The Wall)?
nothing > nada > R-09

Offline marksk

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 05:52:42 PM »
i took some empty boxes from copy paper and cut them down to 5.5" in height. i used the cardboard i cut off to make a divider down the length of the box. i labeled the lid on the end and stacked them up in my closet. i think i fit about 70-80 jewel boxes in a box.

cmoorevt

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 07:00:02 PM »

:hmmm: How many sleeves fit into a single tub?

What about double-albums (ie The Wall)?

About 400.  I've attached a picture.  I'm using this one for non-commerical discs, so no cover art, but you'll get the idea.  The first row on the left is about 50 sleeves and is half full.  Also, I should note this is Sterilite Model number 1926, not 1956.  I made the first post at work and didn't have the tub in front of me.  Unfortunately I can't find that model on their website.

For double albums I just throw the extra disc in one of the cheap tyvex paper sleeves behind the double sleeve or if I'm really motivated I take the center insert booklet from the jewel case and use that as "cover art" for the second disc.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 07:03:24 PM by cmoorevt »

Offline Əkoostikal

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • One of these days....
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 03:12:47 PM »
I use this: http://www.memorex.com/html/products_detail.php?section=2&CID=7&SID=22&PID=1217&FID=98&opento=7
and these for storage right now: http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/p1_Ideastream-Snap-N-Store-trade-Disc-Storage-Boxes-Black_151501_Business_Supplies_10051_SEARCH

The storage boxes are kinda cheap looking but work well so I don't really display them but they are great to hold all the psychical  back-up discs. They will hold approx. 200 cd's in slipcases about 40 more than the info states.

I have been satisfied with this solution so far and pretty inexpensive.
BONGWATER via Etree:

"Phil Keeps on growing, never even slowing, never really knowing all of the minds he's really blowing!!!!!"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com