Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What Stealth Microphones to get?  (Read 3676 times)

Offline cosmickc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
    • Tape List
What Stealth Microphones to get?
« on: June 13, 2010, 12:19:11 PM »
Hi,

Been recording since 95.  Started out with Nak 300's then moved to Neumann SKM-184's > V-2.  Still use the Neumann's V-2 comb but wanted to get a set of stealth microphones.  Not sure what to get or what I will need?  Currently I use the Zoom H4n and I love the damn thing but of course the microphones are fixed to it.  Would like  to keep the price reasonable low, under $100 or not much above, without sacrificing too much in the way of quality.

Thanks everyone.

KC

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: What Stealth Microphones to get?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 02:11:27 PM »
its def. not under 100 but the best option IMO here is get the Church Audio-11s with clips/preamp.  do you have a Dimeadozen account?  PM me if so and i can give you some examples.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline cosmickc

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
    • Tape List
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 03:11:55 PM »
The h4n provides 48v, 24v and plug in power.  I've even used it to power my neumann's both of them at 48v for over 3 hours and it did an amazing job.  Do I still need a battery box or preamplifier?  Would really like to avoid the extra gear and extra cost.

Thanks

kc

Offline bonghitwillie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 06:42:50 PM »
dpa 4061's work really well.  i am not sure if you can get them with something that would allow 48v.  i use the mics with the coresound power supply into an r-9. does not get much easier or smaller.  the mics are real small and sound pretty good.  dpa also has some higher end mics that might take 48v. 

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 10:08:58 AM »
Have you considered the Naiant X-X series (see bottom of the page)? I have a pair that sound great and are far cheaper than dpa 406x. Just keep in mind they're omnis, not cards.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 01:18:02 PM »
I hear ya dude.  I'll dump a lot of money into my open rig, but I rarely stealth, so I have a hard time spending big bucks on a stealth rig.  According to the literature, the H4N has a "mic in" jack which serves up plug in power, so you can run small mics right into it, as long as you take a little care in choosing your mics.

I'll suggest some CA-11's, and see about getting card and omni caps.  They are in the yard sale all the time.  I have a friend who runs CA-11's off the plug in power on his R09HR without brickwalling for shows like Allman Brothers and Derek Trucks, even from close to the stage.  Under similar conditions, I expect they will be fine using H4N supplied power and no battery box.  If you are stack taping metal shows, you need a battery box.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Audioslaved

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 10:44:35 PM »
I will second (or I guess third) the CA-11s suggestion!  I have used them powered by a pre-amp & by plug-in power on my H2.  The only time I had any clipping was in a very small venue with very loud bass.  And even then, it wasn't bad at all.  For close to 100 bucks, they are a great option... and one that I don't think you would regret.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 06:23:53 AM »
I will second (or I guess third) the CA-11s suggestion!  I have used them powered by a pre-amp & by plug-in power on my H2.  The only time I had any clipping was in a very small venue with very loud bass.  And even then, it wasn't bad at all.  For close to 100 bucks, they are a great option... and one that I don't think you would regret.

Great mics! And the clipping audioslaved got was probably due to the H2, not the CA-11's. The H2's record level control comes after the ADC and can't prevent clipping (only the L/M/H switches can help here). The H4n is not designed this way, so you should have no problem at all provided the H4n's plug in power is high enough voltage to properly power the CA-11's. I imagine it is if audioslaved has found the H2's plug in power sufficient to power them.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 06:26:28 AM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline absnj

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 01:17:05 PM »
Depending on just how "stealthy" you need to be, the CA-14's are also great mics, although they are a bit bigger than the CA-11's and look bigger still, since the foam windscreens are not removable.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 03:10:12 PM »
Depending on just how "stealthy" you need to be, the CA-14's are also great mics, although they are a bit bigger than the CA-11's and look bigger still, since the foam windscreens are not removable.

I love these mics as well. Still easy to stealth if you don't mind using a hat mount. Most recorders won't adequately power them with plug in power, but very small battery boxes are available today.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline elwdblues77

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 01:41:51 PM »
I ran CA14s stealth for the first time a few weeks ago. Had them inside a straw hat with fairly open mesh. Great results!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com