Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best windscreens (pros & cons of each) for AT853s at an outdoor festival  (Read 3778 times)

Offline symoka01

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
hey,

I'm trying to determine the best windscreens for AT853xr for an outdoor festival.  This venue has quite the potential of being windy.  Therefore, what would be the recommended windscreens (pros and cons) for this potentially quite windy application? I'd like as clear of sound as possible from the bands but no wind, it drives me nuts on my past recordings (it doesn't help that these mics seem to be great at picking up wind).

Any advice is much appreciated!

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
I don't do much outdoor recording, but in my opinion, if there is any wind to speak of none of the foam windscreens are worth a damn.

You need to cover the cheap foam windscreens with one of those fuzzy rycote windjammer things to have any effect at all. Sorry I can't post a link to one that fits AT853's. About 8-9 years ago I wrote to Rycote asking for info on purchasing a set for my  AT853s and to my amazement they sent me a pair for free (I think they normally cost $50-$60 or so). They made a real difference the few times I used them. You could also make a set yourself-I think some members here may know how.

Also if you can use omni mics instead of cards, you will pick up a lot less wind noise.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
I had been using just the AT8117 for years. On their own they actually perform fairly well up to a certain point. I wanted a worry-free solution though so I got Rebekah at thewindcutter.com to make some furry windscreens (Stormchaser model) to fit over the 8117 and it works great. I don't think there is a much better option than this.

Another option which I haven't tried is the AT8153: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=135578.0

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
I wanted a worry-free solution though so I got Rebekah at thewindcutter.com to make some furry windscreens (Stormchaser model) to fit over the 8117 and it works great. I don't think there is a much better option than this.

Another option which I haven't tried is the AT8153: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=135578.0

As ashvillain says, making or buying furry windscreens is the way to go. IMO none of the cheap foam ones are worth a thing, at least if the wind is more than a negligible amount.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 11:16:39 AM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline barrettphisher

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Outdoors in a windy environment, omnis are your friends.  That will help even with sub par wind screens.
Barrett
Mics: ADK A51 TL's C12s, at853's (card, hyper, sub, and omni caps), Michael Joly Premium Electronics Modded Oktava mk012s (Card, Hyper and Omni caps), Busman BSC1 Stereo Kit, and Oktava 319.
Pres: V3 opti/M-S Modded, BM2p+ UA5, church audio 9100, 3 wire BB
Recorders:  Busman Mod Tascam DR-680, ACM HD-P2, HD-P2, MT2 x2, D50, M10, JB3 x2, M1, D8

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
I have some that work good.  I have used them in actual hurricane conditions...  http://www.archive.org/details/aod2008-09-06.at853.flac16f
They were for my Earthworks, which has the same OD as AT853's.  They have a dual layer foam, and are outrageously expensive, but I think that's only because they had the Earthworks name.  They do kill the highs, but it's better than wind rumble.

Think about a 2 layer approach, like using the AT ones, and then finding something which will slip over that, like ones for an SM57 maybe.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
I've seen some of those fuzzy Rycotes in the field and liked the look and feel.  (Does anyone have a link / model number for the 20mm ones?)  I have a pair of Shure bigass windscreens for my Busmans (SH-A85WS), but to be honest, as much as I've been impressed with their windproofness, I've also found them to be pretty serious about cutting mid's and high's; lots of recordings with these have coming out looking for some pretty serious low / mud reduction in post.  I'm probably going to make the switch soon to the Rycotes, so if you're interested in trying your luck with the Shures, stay tuned, they may turn up soon in the Yard Sale.

PS: Joe, nice tape!  What screens are those exactly?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 03:28:02 PM by travelinbeat »
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
My dead rats fit the 853 mics.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org

PS: Joe, nice tape!  What screens are those exactly?

Thanks.  I'm not particularly proud of it myself... a classic example of the windscreens killing the highs and leaving the thumpiness, and under the umbrella, but it's better than wind rumble.

I really don't know what windscreens they are, other than they were what Earthworks sold to go with the Z30XL and SR77 type mics years ago, and I got them in a trade. I know they are a double layer product (if you look at Big Ass Shures you can see they have 2 different kinds of foam, and these are similar).  Probably 3/8" ID and close to 2" OD.

If you look here... imagine the 1400 stuffed inside the 5700, except the were permanently bonded that way.  I would think about buying the 1400's and 5700's.  If it's a little windy use the 1400's.  If it's really windy, put the 5700's over the top.  Or 1400's and homemade dead rats over that.
http://olsenaudio.com/general.html
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline DiggerinVA

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
I would recommend the Windcutter solution. Though you have a common production mic, so you should have more options. Rebekah provided for me a solution that has worked well so far. I have not heard any wind and I had enough to move the Sony's C38B's. Also the sound does not seem to be affected much. Much better than the U87 screens I once used.
Sony C38B's --> Lunatec V2-->PMD661
B-3's --> Tinybox 1.5 --> PCM-M10

Offline symoka01

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Thanks for all the great feedback! From what I understand, the general consensus is getting a foam windscreen (like 1400's) and slipping something like the CA Dead Rats or 5700's over the top.  This will do a good job of blocking most wind problems? Would 1400's with 5700's over the top be better for wind reduction or sound quality than 1400's with handmade Dead Rats over the top? Just trying to get a feel...I really know nothing about windscreens.

Can anyone tell me if Dead Rats are capable of being stealthy? When I envision them, I envision something huge and very obvious. Just curious as I would like the option to use these in stealth situations as well.

I'm attempting to tape a show at this festival, as a favor for someone on dime.  I'd hate for it to turn out windy, or overly muffled if possible.  Am I essentially doomed for one or the other? What would you guys consider a negligible amount of wind (ie, a situation where I would only need, say, 1400's).

Thanks!

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
I have some that work good.  I have used them in actual hurricane conditions...  http://www.archive.org/details/aod2008-09-06.at853.flac16f
They were for my Earthworks, which has the same OD as AT853's.  They have a dual layer foam, and are outrageously expensive, but I think that's only because they had the Earthworks name.  They do kill the highs, but it's better than wind rumble.

Think about a 2 layer approach, like using the AT ones, and then finding something which will slip over that, like ones for an SM57 maybe.

Were those the big red clown noses that you used to use Joe?  ;) ;D
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Cleveland,USA
I have the "Shure" locking style (ordered from Soundpros) they work well..and they arent pricey at all.
ATu853 (c/o)
Denecke PS-2
Sony MZ-M100 (x2)
Sony PCM M-10
Ixxx XX-X
Ixxx XX-X

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46018790@N03/sets/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com