Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Laptop firewire card  (Read 6932 times)

zowie

• Trade Count: (0)
Laptop firewire card
« on: February 08, 2004, 02:35:12 PM »
Can someone point me to a PMCCIA [or whatever its called] laptop card that has firewire WITH POWER.  The one I've got won't power my Firewire 410, even though it is 6-pin size.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 08, 2004, 03:00:46 PM by zowie »

zowie

Re:Laptop firewire card
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 11:58:41 AM »
PCMCIA
Looks like they can't, unless you run an external power supply.  I'd thought someone on this board had said that they charged their Ipod off of one.

silverbullet

Re: Laptop firewire card
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 01:06:05 PM »
bump.

I'm looking into lappies and also would like to know how others are using their FW 410 with there lappies. Will a 4pin to 6pin cable work? Is anyone using a pmccia card with 6pin connections and getting the FW410 to power up and work? I'd like to avoid having a separate 12v source for the FW 410 also.

Offline Phil

• Taperssection Member
  • Control for smilers can't be bought
    • BitTorrentMusic.com
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 04:21:38 PM »
You actually have many options here.  You can use this http://fwdepot.com/thestore/images/cfr-66p-01large.jpg or just find something here www.fwdepot.com or your local best buy should have one with a dc in jack on it.  You would have to rig up a 12v battery to any of these solutions mentioned.
AKG 481 > V3 > MT2496 or VXpocket 440 > Laptop

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 05:56:44 PM »
im running a firewire 410 (oade warm mod) into a lappy with a 4pin firewire jack

this is my second lappy with the 4pin jack

works fine with a 6pin > 4pin cables, you just have to provide power for the unit

i use these, they have to be the best option out there, without a dought. comes with a plug that is right angle that fits the 410 perfectly
http://batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=172

silverbullet

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 06:34:29 PM »
I guess there is no way around the external batteries. At least they are small. thanks.

any idea how long the batteries will last for the FW 410?

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 08:18:50 AM »
I guess there is no way around the external batteries. At least they are small. thanks.

any idea how long the batteries will last for the FW 410?

i have the 12v 4ah packs from batteryspace and have run 6+hrs on one pack using phantom

silverbullet

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2004, 10:08:13 AM »
I'm tempted to get the pci card for my lappie that provides two 6 pin firewire ports but that would just drain my computer battery more and I don't know how long that would last. The 410 can't draw that much power. I'll probably get it and do some testing. I think that card runs about $50 at comp usa.

Does anyone else use a 6pin connection from the pci slot on their lappie for their 410 with success?

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 10:24:32 AM »
im not sure you can get pcmcia firewire cards that supply power... or can you?

silverbullet

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2004, 10:31:29 AM »
Well, I saw one that provided two 6 pin firewire ports in comp usa. I would assume it would work. 6pin is 6pin but you know how the saying goes about assuming.  :-\ Thought I better ask if this was done before.

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2004, 11:14:34 AM »
i think there was a discussion in one of these threads saying that the pcmcia cards with 6 pin firewire ports didnt provide power. or maybe it was that just some fo them did... i cant recall

silverbullet

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2004, 11:17:39 AM »
Come to think of it, I think I remember that now.

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2004, 11:22:10 AM »
:D

i had to dig earlier to find a thread with some info about the asio drivers for the 410, i cant begin to remember where that info is though

on your v3 > 410 setup, do you choose to sync with the internal source or external source. i was thinking external right?>???\

headed to see umphreys friday and have access toa  buddys V3 to run out front and havent ran anything in front fo the 410 before

silverbullet

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2004, 11:44:21 AM »
Funny. I haven't run the V3 alone yet.

I didn't change any sync settings. I pull the 410 out of the box, installed the software and then installed the latest drivers. Then I hooked up the V3>410>lappie. Made some adjustments from the firewire control panel, icon found in the lower right hand corner of the monitor. Choose the correct recording device from the Wav Lab recording menu and powered up and everything seemed to work.

I seem to remember ready some comments about slave syncing or latency. Never seemed necessary for me to follow up. I really was pressed for time. Only did some test recordings from the living room on Thursday and then it would be out taping the next two nights. 24/96 recording went fine but I can't seem to send that digital signal out my FW 410 and into my home stereo system. I guess I can try the headphone jack>RCA inputs on my stereo but I want to stick to all digital if possible. How are most people playing back their 24/96 recordings? I know some DVD players will play these audio dvd discs but I'm not sure what to look for in this type of DVD player.

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2004, 11:56:05 AM »
;D

search for a thread in this section with some sort of title like audio dvd creator

it is a program that makes 24/96 dvd discs with just audio that will play in any dvd player

i have yet to get that far, my home system sucks and is in the process of a major overhaul. ive just been doing 16bit cds for playback now, but im keeping all this 24bit stuff for later when the playback rig gets better

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.125 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com