Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Hand Matching Help  (Read 3211 times)

Offline shroominhumpy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Team Ghetto Rig--Cheap gear. Sick Tapes.
Hand Matching Help
« on: February 17, 2004, 09:12:10 PM »
Hey all you knowledgeable tapers out there. I need some help. I want to hand match a pair of Oktava Mk012s and have no idea where to begin. What do I do, listen for ect... Thanks a million to all those who reply.

Jason
If mass communications blend together harmoniously, and often unnoticeably, art, politics, religion, and philosophy with commercials, they bring these realms of culture to their common denominator—the commodity form. The music of the soul is also the music of salesmanship.
Herbert Marcuse

Offline kev B

• Taperssection All-Star
  • mmm, taping!
Re:Hand Matching Help
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 09:21:46 PM »
Yes, I searched as well and I could find no guidelines.
Oktava MC012 > digi-mod UA-5 > JB3 > SVU-1

Team Philly, Team Oktava, Team SVU-x

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 09:33:56 PM »
I doubt you'll find any "how to" info on matching mics.  There is plenty of conversation about matching in general.
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 09:38:57 PM »
they way it was explained to me is that at the store you "use" them ( I 'm assuming you get them to bring you equipment) and use your ears to find a pair that sound the most similar.  Can anyone else shed some light on this?  please correct me if I'm wrong...
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 10:39:12 PM »
You need to look at the spectrum analysis graph & match em up.  Be sure the seriel #'s match the analysis.

You could never match them by ear alone.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 10:44:20 PM »
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2004, 02:56:18 PM »
Kindguy is right...no way to match by ear.  FWIW, a lot of mic manufacturers have stopped matching b/c production tolerances have become such that they don't believe it to be necessary.  It's kinda up to you.  IMHO, it's one of those things worth doing if readily available...like w/ the Schoeps for instance...it's easy to justify the $30 matching charge on a $970 set of caps...why not...but attempting to hand match some at the store isn't going to be easy w/out the right know how and equipment...and likely not worth the effort.

mitch
Oade preamp museum curator

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2004, 03:31:38 PM »
Mitch, we're not talking a fine german microphone here... I wouldn't bother paying for matching on Schoeps, Neumann, DPA or AKG. Okatava though is infamous for poor quality control.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline shroominhumpy

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team Ghetto Rig--Cheap gear. Sick Tapes.
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2004, 11:04:37 PM »
Mitch If I had the money to drop $970 on some nice, matched mics, I would, but with the situtation I am in I do not have the opportunity. I am trying to get a close (to the ear), field usuable match, so I can get out and tape some shows that will hopefully sound nicer than what I have now. Thats all. I want something that sounds good to me, and sounds close to me. When the day comes I can drop the 1000 clams I will do so, but for now I am looking for a hold over. We are not talking $1000 mics here, we are talking about Oktavas...thats it. Thanks for the heads up on the lack of an exact match, but that isn't what I am looking for.

Jason
If mass communications blend together harmoniously, and often unnoticeably, art, politics, religion, and philosophy with commercials, they bring these realms of culture to their common denominator—the commodity form. The music of the soul is also the music of salesmanship.
Herbert Marcuse

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2004, 12:47:42 AM »
You're not gonna match them by ear...

This would be similar to the "bit accuracy test"

OK - here's what you do, bring a laptop with PocketVX (or some other way to get analog line in or digital into the laptop) & Wavelab/Soundforge, a preamp, boombox & CD with a track of white noise on it and a CD Player.  Play the CD while recording with the mic plugged in, 1 meter away from the speaker.  Do the same thing with all the mics you can get them to take out of the box.  Start doing the "bit accuracy test" (someone point out a link to this please) with all your recorded samples (1 minute should be good - label the mics and the samples so you know which is which), and the pair of mics that get you closest to zero is the "matched pair".

Theory being (like the bit accuracy test), that if you put the 2 samples out of phase with each other, they should zero out with equal amplitudes at the same frequencies.  Any remaining signal, indicates the "inaccuracy/mis-matched sensitivity" at that frequency.  The pair of mics that have the least amount of mismatch, are the matched pair.

While being somewhat un-scientific (and probably drive the salesman out of his frikkin mind), if you position the mics as close to the same place as possible, and shoot a reference sound (white noise being equal amplitude at all frequencies) you should get in the ballpark.

I paid big $$ for a "supposedly" handmatched pair of TLM-170's, and I really think they just stuck any old pair in the box.  Without test charts either - for $3700 you think you'd AT LEAST get frikkin test charts.

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2004, 10:00:12 AM »
jeez how badly matched are the mics now? I have a pair of unmatched and they are fine.
the show is over go home please.

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2004, 01:47:22 PM »
I have no experience w/ Oktavas, so if they're that bad out of the box, maybe it is worth matching exercise...all I've owned are AKGs and Schoeps.    I'd agree that Sickrick's approach is a good approximation...you just have to be careful to ensure that the only sound the mics are picking up is the white noise in order to hold the test constant.

mitch
Oade preamp museum curator

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com