Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What length to cut a spaced pair bar?  (Read 1983 times)

Offline dlh

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
What length to cut a spaced pair bar?
« on: January 05, 2011, 07:42:09 AM »
Looking for advice, experience, from spaced-pair tapers.
I'm trying to decide the max spacing before I cut the stock.
I got a 5' piece of aluminum hex bar the same size as the one on the Sabra ST-4.
Plan on using it to make a spaced omni bar.  Transport is not an issue.  I'll be using it to record mostly choral and inst. ensembles.
Most bars I see are around 1m in length.
I thought I'd cut it at 1m and possibly make a sleeve to connect the remaining piece if I ever need it. (can always use 2 stands instead)
I'd leave it at 5', but the Sabra mount is not the beefiest.  Mics (at present) will be Studio Project C4's, but hopefully will upgrade to 460b's (when I find a good deal on omni caps).

Thanks,
Dave
480b, 460b, Line Audio CM3, SP LSD2, AT BP4025, SP C4,
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

DR-680, DR-100 MKII, PMD671, fr2LE, MTII

De gustibus non est disputandum.
"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: What length to cut a spaced pair bar?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 08:21:05 AM »
will you be able to adjust the width? what I mean is will the mic mounts be able to move on the bar? In my mind that is the most important question. a fixed width bar of any length is useless unless you are always recording in the exact same situation. Otherwise how far you spread the mics depends heavily on the situation.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 09:04:42 AM »
I usually go 3'-4'.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 11:44:14 AM »
I find spacing more than ~3' results in a sound I don't prefer, I think a phasing issue.  Have you considered baffled omnis, instead?  I find I prefer this to spaced omnis pretty much all the time.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline dlh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 01:00:06 PM »
will you be able to adjust the width? what I mean is will the mic mounts be able to move on the bar? In my mind that is the most important question. a fixed width bar of any length is useless unless you are always recording in the exact same situation. Otherwise how far you spread the mics depends heavily on the situation.
Yes, the Sabra mount allows mics to slide along the bar.

Thanks
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

Offline dlh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 01:03:32 PM »
I find spacing more than ~3' results in a sound I don't prefer, I think a phasing issue.  Have you considered baffled omnis, instead?  I find I prefer this to spaced omnis pretty much all the time.
Thanks for the advice.  Yes baffled omni's are on my list.  I've looked at some DIY baffle projects.  Just haven't done one yet.
I'd also like to try the baffled omni's on nature recordings.

I agree that recordings I've made with spaced omni's lack the image of ORTF or XY.

Thanks again,
Dave

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 02:17:42 PM »
Agreed on the benefits of the baffled technique.  I mostly like unbaffled A-B spaced omnis up close, like along the stage lip, & not only two channel but often 3, 4 or 5 mics spaced about 3'-4' between each.  Otherwise, I run a pair as outriggers to augment a center coincident pair for outdoor shows farther back.

But for simple two mic stereo using omnis, I also prefer the results when using a baffle. If you are into experimentation and DIY, the typical jecklin-disk stuff is a good start and there is plenty of info around here about it.  But you might also consider two individual baffles- one for each mic, which allows alot of flexibility in spacing between mics, spacing from each mic to baffle surface, and the ability to angle the baffles forward.  I've been digging baffled omnis spaced about 18"-20", with the mics mounted right on the baffles.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com