Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG C34 or Nevaton MC-47 / MC-48?  (Read 9777 times)

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: AKG C34 or Nevaton MC-47 / MC-48?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 09:50:57 PM »
Quote from: notlance
AKG C34: My mic is the variable pattern version.  Most of the time I use it in MS, sometimes Blumlein.  This is a fine mic, but it’s a bit bright.  It is not my first choice to record Chamber music, especially strings.   Violins recorded with this mic often sound too harsh.

"If you say "Bright" and "harsh" I will forget the C34 for strings. It's important to me that the mic doesn't make things brighter and harsher than they already are  ;)"

Don't get me wrong; the C34 is not a bad mic.  It's just that it is not my first choice for strings.  For example, if used to record a string quartet, the 1st violin will be brought out more than it already is.  Most quartets need less 1st, not more, IMHO.  The C34 does not work well recording flute either.

Here's an unsolicited recommendation: the Busman Stereo Ribbon with the Lundahl transformers is excellent for chamber music, especially strings.  The Lundahl transformers are definitely worth the extra money.  This mic has a fixed Blumlein configuration.  I recorded a string quartet in a nice sounding small church and the imaging and balance were just about perfect.  The sound is not "warm" like the ribbon stereotype, but rather the mic is quite flat up to about 10 kHz and then starts rolling off.  Since it's a ribbon, you need a lot of clean gain, at least 60 dB.  If your preamp is not up to it, a Cloudlifter or a Triton Audio FetHead will give you the extra gain you need.  Here's a link:

http://www.busmanaudio.com/basr1.html

Cascade Microphones sells the same mic as the model X-15, but the Busman version is less expensive and Busman is a member here.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 09:52:41 PM by notlance »

Offline jpk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 11:27:44 AM »
Many thanks for all the recommendations! I will think about it, especially about 2 mono-SDCs vs. one stereo mic.

For strings, I've had several people tell me that a pair of Nevaton MC49 are fantastic, but of course they are SDCs.

There is the original MC49, the newer MC49-C and the omni MC49-O. I guess the MC49-C is the one I should consider! How does this mic compare to the KM184?

Offline tcf

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 03:37:36 PM »
I've owned multiple sets of 184s and mc49s and much preferred the nevaton mc49. I prefer the flatter sound and the improved bass response with the 49. I owned a mc 48 for three years and loved it. If you aren't recOrding rock and roll, take dirk up on the demo.

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 02:03:39 PM »
Well if you are starting to consider SDC mics instead of stereo mics, take a listen to the Beyerdynamic MC930.  Its sound it typical Beyer: flat up to about 10 kHz with a 3 to 4 dB bump centered around 13 kHz.  It is quiet and small and reasonably priced (about 800 Euro for the stereo set).  The MC930 sound is very much like a Neumann KM84, at least to my ears.  The MC930 works great on strings and many other sources too.  There are many good SDC mics available, but the MC930 is definitely one to consider.

Offline jpk

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 06:02:57 AM »
In the last days I listened to many samples of SDCs: to my ears the MC-49s were the best (I preferred them to the Schoeps), but they are almost twice as expensive as KM184s, so I tried to find something a bit less costy. I listened to the MC930s, Busmans, Avantones, Oktavas, KM184s and most liked the latter. It seems they are not the favorite on this forum, but I can get new KM184s for almost the price of the MC930s, so I ordered a pair. I will keep you informed and post some samples as soon as they arrive!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 06:13:17 AM by jpk »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 04:11:59 PM »
Congrats on the new mic purchase. I think youll be very happy w/ the 184s!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 04:39:06 PM »
In the last days I listened to many samples of SDCs: to my ears the MC-49s were the best (I preferred them to the Schoeps), but they are almost twice as expensive as KM184s, so I tried to find something a bit less costy. I listened to the MC930s, Busmans, Avantones, Oktavas, KM184s and most liked the latter. It seems they are not the favorite on this forum, but I can get new KM184s for almost the price of the MC930s, so I ordered a pair. I will keep you informed and post some samples as soon as they arrive!

I love the sound of km184.....  I once unknowingly did  comp between my mbho and a Rob clarks 184's.  I was at a kimock show many years ago at mexicali.  I had thrown my hdp2 inro record pause at the start of the second set and missed 10 minutes....  Rob had his 184 clamped to my stand about 3 inches lower than my ho's.  I patched his source into mine...you can't tell the diference at all...no eq'ing needed...  While I got lucky...I was amazed that they sounded the same...  I never had that experience again...Like I said I got lucky.

KM184 are awesone....i wish the caps were switchable.  the 140's offer that but add the active set up capability as well.  Neumann should do what the mbho did and offer a full body version where you can switch caps but not the actives...  MBHO has either the 603 or 603A and the 648 or 648A.  One takes actives the other does not.  But both switch caps..

peace ook
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline jpk

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 01:13:56 PM »
Today the KM184s arrived - I made some test recordings with violin, piano, various guitars and vocal, all in my living room - the KM184s are natural, smooth, lively and refined. I am very pleased with my mic purchase!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 05:22:20 PM by jpk »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com