Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what is the so-called "healy pattern"  (Read 10659 times)

Offline junkbondking

• a good story and a good massage both have happy endings
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • i'm busy fabercating
Re:what is the so-called "healy pattern"
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2004, 04:44:38 PM »
ok, i will think about it.  might have to bring ramsden into it, if he can mod gear, im sure he can help me out.
www.poachninja.com  "you've been poached"

km184 -> busman modded R4

BobW

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2004, 06:37:16 PM »
evidently you have not seen me try to build anything physical.  a bond ladder i can build, a portfolio i can construct.... but using saws, levels, is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Have you read the argument against laddering based on investment delay ?  Has anyone quantified it in percentages ?

Oh, wait, that's work....sorry, man. My bad.

The Jecklin disk can be made by ambitious grade-schoolers.
Perhaps you have kids in the family ?

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2004, 06:39:30 PM »
"The Jecklin disk can be made by ambitious grade-schoolers."

clearly you have never met JBK.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Jason B

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2004, 06:49:17 PM »
so you could probably still do it, just with more spacing between the caps...if healy is supposed to be 4 or 5 inches separation or so (the width of your head), make the LD's 7 or 8...would that work?

See, I don't think you can run the Healy Method with LD's. It is not really the Healy Method anymore, because you have two diaphragms on the LD capsule. When LD's are run in omni, technically it doesn't matter if they are running 90º to the sound source or aiming directly at it because with two diaphragm's, there is no real "aiming" of an LD when in omni. It's non-directional in that pattern.

When using the SD's though, you eliminate this problem when running them at 90º to the sound source, back to back aiming away from each other due to the lack of the rear diaphragm. This creates the spacing and time difference.

This is just my thoughts on all of this...

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2004, 06:51:49 PM »
interesting Jason.... I have no real idea...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Xpanding Man

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2004, 12:34:14 PM »
so you could probably still do it, just with more spacing between the caps...if healy is supposed to be 4 or 5 inches separation or so (the width of your head), make the LD's 7 or 8...would that work?

See, I don't think you can run the Healy Method with LD's. It is not really the Healy Method anymore, because you have two diaphragms on the LD capsule. When LD's are run in omni, technically it doesn't matter if they are running 90º to the sound source or aiming directly at it because with two diaphragm's, there is no real "aiming" of an LD when in omni. It's non-directional in that pattern.

When using the SD's though, you eliminate this problem when running them at 90º to the sound source, back to back aiming away from each other due to the lack of the rear diaphragm. This creates the spacing and time difference.

This is just my thoughts on all of this...

how about healy with a jecklin disc ?  wouldn't that solve the problem for LD folks ?  

even with SD mics (akgs, oktavas), i always noticed a "smushed" middle of the stereo image when running healy method, something that I thaought would be solved by a disc.
The ships of state sail on mirage & drown in sand (R.Hunter)

open: Busman Actives / ADK TL's / MK012s > V3 > DR70 / iRiver
stealth: AT 943 > Church Uglybox > Tascam DR2

Being Taped: 
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, Olsondoc (Languedoc Copy), Mod Midi Strat, SG, 335, etc. 
Effects: Too many
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II
Acoustics: Martin D-35 / Gitane DG-250 (Selmer Style) / Kick-Ass German Archtop (Glasl)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com