Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-D100  (Read 178008 times)

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sony PCM-D100
« Reply #120 on: November 14, 2013, 12:34:35 PM »
Guys, do you know if I get it from Amazon Japan, the menu will be in English or in Japanese? Obviously I don't want the latter as I can't work with it. I have someone in Japan who might be able to order one for me from here: http://www.amazon.co.jp/82E3B83-PCM-D100-SONY-83E3B82E3E3E3E383-D100/dp/B00FAY1LQ8
It'll be available there in a week or so and I badly need a small, rugged recorder with high-quality internal mics and digital input (for use with USBPre 2). Everything points to the D100. :)

Probably some of the internal menus will be in Japanese. Here is a page from the SONY Japan M10 manual:

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #121 on: November 14, 2013, 01:01:57 PM »
Guys, do you know if I get it from Amazon Japan, the menu will be in English or in Japanese? Obviously I don't want the latter as I can't work with it. I have someone in Japan who might be able to order one for me from here: http://www.amazon.co.jp/82E3B83-PCM-D100-SONY-83E3B82E3E3E3E383-D100/dp/B00FAY1LQ8
It'll be available there in a week or so and I badly need a small, rugged recorder with high-quality internal mics and digital input (for use with USBPre 2). Everything points to the D100. :)

Probably some of the internal menus will be in Japanese. Here is a page from the SONY Japan M10 manual:

Thanks for the information you provided. So, with this in mind, do you think it wouldn't be wise to get the D100 from Japan? Or would Sony allow us to change the language from Japanese to English? The M10 supports 11 languages and one can select the desired language "for tracks, menus, folder names, file names, etc" -- (Detail Menu->Language, as outlined on page 18 of the M10 PDF manual).

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #122 on: November 14, 2013, 02:19:25 PM »

Thanks for the information you provided. So, with this in mind, do you think it wouldn't be wise to get the D100 from Japan? Or would Sony allow us to change the language from Japanese to English? The M10 supports 11 languages and one can select the desired language "for tracks, menus, folder names, file names, etc" -- (Detail Menu->Language, as outlined on page 18 of the M10 PDF manual).

I never noticed that. You could try changing the language on the M10 and see what happens. It does seem that with this option you wouldn't have any problem with menus if you ordered from Japan.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #123 on: November 14, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »

I never noticed that. You could try changing the language on the M10 and see what happens. It does seem that with this option you wouldn't have any problem with menus if you ordered from Japan.

Honestly I wasn't aware of the language option either before getting your reply. I then checked the M10 manual and found it in the Detail menu. At any rate, the rationale behind Sony's decision to make the D100 available in Europe and the USA more than 3 months after its availability in Japan and China is beyond my ken. That might be the classic fear of supply shortage, but, IMO, its price tag -- bordering $800 -- should effectively obviate such a concern.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #124 on: November 14, 2013, 07:34:21 PM »

Honestly I wasn't aware of the language option either before getting your reply. I then checked the M10 manual and found it in the Detail menu. At any rate, the rationale behind Sony's decision to make the D100 available in Europe and the USA more than 3 months after its availability in Japan and China is beyond my ken. That might be the classic fear of supply shortage, but, IMO, its price tag -- bordering $800 -- should effectively obviate such a concern.

I just checked the Detail Menu on my North American M10, and there are only three language choices - English, Spanish and French.

The UK M10 manual shows a choice of six European languages - Deutsch (German), English, Español (Spanish), Français (French), Italiano (Italian), Русский (Russian) - but no Asian languages.

So you may not have a choice of English on a Japanese model.

What are the eleven languages on your M10?

« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 09:04:40 PM by dogmusic »

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #125 on: November 15, 2013, 07:49:48 AM »

I just checked the Detail Menu on my North American M10, and there are only three language choices - English, Spanish and French.

The UK M10 manual shows a choice of six European languages - Deutsch (German), English, Español (Spanish), Français (French), Italiano (Italian), Русский (Russian) - but no Asian languages.

Interesting. Mine (which was purchased from Amazon.com) displays the following languages:
Deutsch (German), English, Espanol (Spanish), Frangais (French), Italiano (Italian), PyccKHH (Russian), (Japanese), (Korean), (Chinese), (Chinese), Iviei (Thai).
This is really getting complicated. Do you know if we can ask this from Sony reps in Japan? Alternatively, I'm curious to know if someone here has purchased their M10 in Japan. It's not clear which release of the D100 is to be sold in Japan, but it would be very difficult to ship it without English -- even if it were the only language apart from Japanese.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #126 on: November 15, 2013, 08:17:51 AM »

Interesting. Mine (which was purchased from Amazon.com) displays the following languages:
Deutsch (German), English, Espanol (Spanish), Frangais (French), Italiano (Italian), PyccKHH (Russian), (Japanese), (Korean), (Chinese), (Chinese), Iviei (Thai).
This is really getting complicated. Do you know if we can ask this from Sony reps in Japan? Alternatively, I'm curious to know if someone here has purchased their M10 in Japan. It's not clear which release of the D100 is to be sold in Japan, but it would be very difficult to ship it without English -- even if it were the only language apart from Japanese.

Wow, that's a lot of languages. Was that Amazon.com in the US?

I have no connection to Sony other than being a fan of their recorders since my first TC-55, so whether the Sony reps in Japan will respond is a good question. No harm trying.

My inclination would be to wait until the D100 is released and check the online manual.

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #127 on: November 15, 2013, 08:44:12 AM »

Wow, that's a lot of languages. Was that Amazon.com in the US?

I have no connection to Sony other than being a fan of their recorders since my first TC-55, so whether the Sony reps in Japan will respond is a good question. No harm trying.

My inclination would be to wait until the D100 is released and check the online manual.

Yes, it was purchased for me in the USA from Amazon.com. The problem is that I don't know a Japan-oriented Sony phone number or email address to ask this. My hope is that as it's released in Japan on November 21, the PDF manual is also made available simultaneously. I don't have a lot of time to play the waiting game as my contact might leave Japan soon.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #128 on: November 16, 2013, 11:27:33 AM »
The Sony Global support page

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/

has a Japan contact in English. Depending on cookies, this might be it.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/Feedback/index.html

You could contact them, tell them you're an American (or Brit or Aussie!) living in Japan, and ask them about the language on the D-100.

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #129 on: November 16, 2013, 12:59:48 PM »
The Sony Global support page

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/

has a Japan contact in English. Depending on cookies, this might be it.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/Feedback/index.html

You could contact them, tell them you're an American (or Brit or Aussie!) living in Japan, and ask them about the language on the D-100.

Thanks for the link. I'll try contacting them and if I get a reply -- before the manual hits the web, I'll keep the thread updated. I'm also looking forward to getting the PDF manual soon. Hopefully the contact form doesn't require a Japanese address/zip code/phone number which I don't have. :)

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #130 on: November 18, 2013, 02:05:10 PM »
The D100 recorder which is about to be released in Japan supports English.
While I was struggling with the Sony contact form to take the issue to the company, I noticed that a Japanese fellow had posted a new video demo of the D100 on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t240MgI7bz0
I asked him about English support and he confirmed that English is indeed there. I hope he can post his impressions of the D100 as he keeps using it.

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #131 on: November 20, 2013, 05:20:23 AM »
Guys, more conversations with the owner of the D100 in Japan indicated that the Japanese release doesn't support English. I hope no one in the USA has ordered the recorder from its Japanese owners :) Again the Youtube URL is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t240MgI7bz0
Also, Sony Japan has apparently uploaded a D100-related video on Youtube -- it's all music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctAdps94X1s

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #132 on: November 20, 2013, 07:32:46 PM »

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2013, 12:26:53 AM »
The D100 manual in Japanese:

http://www.sony.jp/ServiceArea/impdf/manual/44754150PCM-D100.html

Thanks for the link. With the Japanese manual now available, the debate regarding the presence of English in the Japanese product continues. Page 79 of the manual indicates that the D100 supports English as well as Japanese. Would you please take a look to confirm or reject my findings? I used Google Translate's Upload service -- http://translate.google.com/?tr=f&hl=en
to translate it to English though the translation isn't all that useful. Also, the PDF can be directly downloaded from here: http://www.sony.jp/ServiceArea/impdf/pdf/44754150M-JP.pdf

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #134 on: November 21, 2013, 01:22:14 AM »
Just to put the English discussion to rest and to end the rumors, I should add that the D100 which was released a couple of hours ago in Japan indeed supports English. The Japanese fellow who owns one also confirmed it on Youtube after I told him about page 79 of the Japanese manual.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com