Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-D100  (Read 178009 times)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sony PCM-D100
« Reply #165 on: December 22, 2013, 07:17:55 PM »
A lot of great things about the Sony decks:
- excellent , low noise preamps
- long battery life, including the ability to go into very low use "standby" mode,
- excellent user interface/controls.

The new deck adds SNR that is as good as, or better than many USB interfaces.

These are most useful if you want to do field recording, play back and/or edit on the deck.  All you need is a set of (Sony) 7506 phones.

For live recording, there are lots of options, but nothing beats a great all-in-one deck when you need it.

Richard

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline kingtut38

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #166 on: December 23, 2013, 04:36:28 PM »
Does anyone know what the EIN of this recorder is?

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #167 on: December 29, 2013, 02:53:11 AM »
And this is the first deck, IMHO, that has killer internal mics! Those piano samples were amazing IMO! I'll probably buy 1 and see what its like!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #168 on: January 13, 2014, 02:30:19 PM »
Here's a photo I found on the web that apparently shows separate A/D converters for DSD and PCM:

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #169 on: January 13, 2014, 02:47:58 PM »
Guys, do you know which cable should be used to connect the digital output of the Sound Devices USBPre2 to the D100's digital input? Is this the correct cable, and if it is, do I need an extra adapter for the connection to be established?
Hosa Technology -   Toslink Male to Mini-Toslink 3.5mm Male Fiber Optic Cable: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/297015-REG/Hosa_Technology_OPQ_210_Toslink_Male_to_Mini_Toslink.html

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #170 on: January 13, 2014, 03:40:54 PM »
Here's a photo I found on the web that apparently shows separate A/D converters for DSD and PCM:

Interesting. Which site was this from (all Japanese presumably?  The official Sony press releases suggested there was separate ad converters so this seems to confirm.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #171 on: January 13, 2014, 04:16:43 PM »
Guys, do you know which cable should be used to connect the digital output of the Sound Devices USBPre2 to the D100's digital input? Is this the correct cable, and if it is, do I need an extra adapter for the connection to be established?
Hosa Technology -   Toslink Male to Mini-Toslink 3.5mm Male Fiber Optic Cable: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/297015-REG/Hosa_Technology_OPQ_210_Toslink_Male_to_Mini_Toslink.html

that looks right.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #172 on: January 13, 2014, 04:32:55 PM »

That's what I use from my USBPre2 to my D50, so I assume that'll work.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #173 on: January 13, 2014, 04:43:27 PM »

Interesting. Which site was this from (all Japanese presumably?  The official Sony press releases suggested there was separate ad converters so this seems to confirm.

Yes, all Japanese which I don't understand, but found while clicking around looking for some info about this unit (very little available!).

Here's the site:

http://like-a-sony.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2013-09-25-1

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #174 on: January 13, 2014, 05:29:44 PM »
If they are seperate sony went to a lot of trouble to add DSD - meaning they must see some future value in it
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #175 on: January 13, 2014, 10:19:28 PM »
If they are seperate sony went to a lot of trouble to add DSD - meaning they must see some future value in it

Of course they do - Sony was one of the key players in the development of DSD / SACD.  Speaking of DSD, I really don't see the advantage to using it - right now, it seems much more trouble than it's worth.  Not trying to hijack this thread, but can anyone shed any light on why one would record in DSD over high-bitrate PCM, other than with the end goal of selling SACDs?

Here's an interesting article on the topic from Ayre with some sound samples to compare:
http://www.ayre.com/insights_dsdvspcm.htm
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #176 on: January 13, 2014, 10:42:21 PM »
I am not going into DSD anymore on this thread except that DSD is bigger then ever right now (indirectly linked to the PS3 ability to extract SACD's into ISO's or DSF/DST files).  But it is seeming to become a more Pro-sumer format with all the DSD playback (not necessarily SACD) capable DAC's and receivers on the market now.

I don't see the need to go to SACD anymore as many Receiver's and DAC's can play DSF files natively (plus the plugin's for many PC/MAC based players).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 10:49:25 PM by H₂O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2014, 11:18:26 PM »
Thanks, "page" and "dogmusic," for confirming the digital cable.

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #178 on: January 14, 2014, 03:47:08 AM »
Not trying to hijack this thread, but can anyone shed any light on why one would record in DSD over high-bitrate PCM, other than with the end goal of selling SACDs?

I'm not entirely sure. As I understand it, DSD vs (hi res) PCM opinion is fairly evenly split among 'audiophiles'. DSD supporters will tell you that DSD captures the live performance (and particularly transient hits like drums) better than PCM, as DSD is simulating a pulse or wave with a moving series of 0's and 1's, whereas PCM is trying to nail an absolute value (I don't think I explained that 100% correctly but hopefully you get my drift).

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #179 on: January 14, 2014, 04:03:03 AM »
Not trying to hijack this thread, but can anyone shed any light on why one would record in DSD over high-bitrate PCM, other than with the end goal of selling SACDs?

I'm not entirely sure. As I understand it, DSD vs (hi res) PCM opinion is fairly evenly split among 'audiophiles'. DSD supporters will tell you that DSD captures the live performance (and particularly transient hits like drums) better than PCM, as DSD is simulating a pulse or wave with a moving series of 0's and 1's, whereas PCM is trying to nail an absolute value (I don't think I explained that 100% correctly but hopefully you get my drift).

@Yates7592, out of curiosity, do you own the D100, or are you planning to get one? It's in the list of your recorders along with the M10.
If nothing goes awry, a distributor is going to offer the D100 later next week or in 2 weeks here. Hope I can get one!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com