Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-D100  (Read 178045 times)

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sony PCM-D100
« Reply #180 on: January 14, 2014, 04:23:56 AM »
Amir, yes I got one from HK. It's a beautiful machine, but I've yet to use it. Should be maiden voyage this weekend  8)

Offline Amir

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #181 on: January 14, 2014, 04:29:21 AM »
Amir, yes I got one from HK. It's a beautiful machine, but I've yet to use it. Should be maiden voyage this weekend  8)

Congrats are in order then! I'm very much looking forward to your recording samples or comparisons in case you are in such a position to do that.
BTW, do you know of a converter or adapter which can be used to connect a dynamic mic (like Beyerdynamic M58) to the D100? I know that the D100 doesn't have XLR, but I've heard good recordings with the D50 and dynamic mics and am assuming that the same thing (if not better) can be done with the D100 if the proper converter is used.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #182 on: January 15, 2014, 03:26:35 AM »
Can't wait to hear it!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline AB52

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #183 on: January 19, 2014, 05:42:52 PM »
I am using a Sound Devices USBpre2 with a Sony PCM-D50 - will there be any audible difference using the D100 instead? 
What a shame - I would have liked an all in one unit!

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #184 on: January 19, 2014, 07:03:32 PM »
^^^ No XLRs/P48 on the Sony.

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #185 on: January 20, 2014, 04:15:21 AM »
First run with my D100 under my belt this weekend. Stealth op, front stage, dead centre, in small 300 capacity club (DPA4061 > BB > D100, record level 5, line-in, DSD format). Short 2 mins sound sample attached. Very pleased with the results, my best pull to date I would say. Don't know if this is down to the D100, or DSD, or a bit of both, or something else? BTW - the D100 is noticeably quieter than the M10, my tests at home comparing the 2 decks make this very obvious even to my cloth ears. Not that I'll be getting rid of the M10, far from it, the M10 is quite a bit smaller than the D100, and invaluable in those ultra  >:D situations.

http://we.tl/TEMbXrDjEw
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:13:30 AM by yates7592 »

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #186 on: January 20, 2014, 09:26:58 AM »
First run with my D100 under my belt this weekend. Stealth op, front stage, dead centre, in small 300 capacity club (DPA4061 > BB > D100, record level 5, line-in, DSD format). Short 2 mins sound sample attached. Very pleased with the results, my best pull to date I would say. Don't know if this is down to the D100, or DSD, or a bit of both, or something else? BTW - the D100 is noticeably quieter than the M10, my tests at home comparing the 2 decks make this very obvious even to my cloth ears. Not that I'll be getting rid of the M10, far from it, the M10 is quite a bit smaller than the D100, and invaluable in those ultra  >:D situations.

Any suggestions on how to play this file on a Mac?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #187 on: January 20, 2014, 10:11:35 AM »
Foobar with dsd driver will play. Not sure if Audiogate works on macs.

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #188 on: January 20, 2014, 01:43:26 PM »
Given the difficulties of playing DSD files on Windows, I'm not sure if I want to record via that format as I get my D100. Not that it's not doable (it sure is), but it's too much of a hassle. Also, editing DSD files isn't really feasible at this time -- I want to do that with apps like Sound Forge.

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #189 on: January 20, 2014, 02:44:39 PM »
^^^^
I'm listening now to my recording, the D100 is hooked up to my amp and speakers. To me; the (apparent) benefit of recording in DSD is well worth the perceived trouble with processing and playback. Audiogate is freeware and can perform all of the basic editing tasks like file splits, joins, fades, normalise etc. The next step is Pyramix which can let you use all your VST plug ins etc. So its just a question of comfort zone and what you feel best with. What I would say is that I'm really glad I went the DSD route on this occasion. I doubt I would have captured the sheer realism of that night if I had gone PCM. The dynamics and especially the sense of depth are like I've not heard before in my recordings. Early days yet though, so open mind essential

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #190 on: January 20, 2014, 02:57:06 PM »
^^^^
I'm listening now to my recording, the D100 is hooked up to my amp and speakers. To me; the (apparent) benefit of recording in DSD is well worth the perceived trouble with processing and playback. Audiogate is freeware and can perform all of the basic editing tasks like file splits, joins, fades, normalise etc. The next step is Pyramix which can let you use all your VST plug ins etc. So its just a question of comfort zone and what you feel best with. What I would say is that I'm really glad I went the DSD route on this occasion. I doubt I would have captured the sheer realism of that night if I had gone PCM. The dynamics and especially the sense of depth are like I've not heard before in my recordings. Early days yet though, so open mind essential

All great stuff! But have you managed to compare the PCM-oriented capabilities of the D100 with those of the D50/M10? Just asking since you have an M10...

Offline kingtut38

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #191 on: January 20, 2014, 03:41:36 PM »
I still would love to know the EIN of this recorder.  I do a little music but it's mostly spoken word or nature and I'd love a smaller setup that is very quiet.    If this thing is around -127dBu or so I would definitely pick it up. 

It's a shame it doesn't have XLR inputs.  Don't know if you can even buy sony's overpriced adapter anymore.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 03:43:28 PM by kingtut38 »

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #192 on: January 20, 2014, 04:23:19 PM »
I still would love to know the EIN of this recorder.  I do a little music but it's mostly spoken word or nature and I'd love a smaller setup that is very quiet.    If this thing is around -127dBu or so I would definitely pick it up. 

It's a shame it doesn't have XLR inputs.  Don't know if you can even buy sony's overpriced adapter anymore.

Cant help with the EIN but i think it will be around the figure you quoted. Regarding the Sony xlr adaptor its discontinued but fits the d100 like a glove.

Offline liddown

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #193 on: January 21, 2014, 01:04:05 AM »

Any suggestions on how to play this file on a Mac?

There is a great program for the Mac that plays DSD files, it is called Audirvana Plus... There is a 14 day free trial on their website.. I use it mostly for feeding my USB Dac, but I did down load the recording file above and it played great on the standalone Mac....

Offline Nickelodeon

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #194 on: January 21, 2014, 01:30:47 AM »

Cant help with the EIN but i think it will be around the figure you quoted. Regarding the Sony xlr adaptor its discontinued but fits the d100 like a glove.

kingtut38,

Check out this link to the "Theatre of Noise" website that features an article titled "Summary of Portable Digital Audio Recorders", and scroll down to where the EIN's of various portable digital recorders are listed. Since the EIN for the D50 is given as -126dBu, and since the D100 is advertised (or at least touted by some) as being a good deal quieter* than even the D50, I would expect that the D100 would more than satisfy your -127dBu criteria.

*I should be a little careful when I say this, as the difference between -126dBu, -127dBu, or -128dBu is sufficiently small enough that many other factors will come into play before this one or two dBu difference will begin to matter.

yates7592,

Thanks for the info regarding the fit of the Sony XLR-1 adapter to the D100. It makes me all the more glad that I had the good sense to acquire one, from a Japanese reseller over the past summer, for use with my D50. Now I can expect to see no problems with regards to its fit and functionality with respect to its use with a D100.  :D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 03:37:45 AM by Nickelodeon »
"This is so unusual, I might have to lose my mind!"

-- Mike Myers as Tatsuo Nosaka in the SNL skit "The Nude House Of Wacky People."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com