Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mixpad 4  (Read 2271 times)

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA bookmarks
Mixpad 4
« on: May 25, 2004, 12:37:21 AM »
Sorry to ask but I could not find anything on TS search or google. I was just wonderin' how you hook up a mixpad 4 to a JB3 and is it possible w/o a converter to do optical? Also is this unit any good for the field because I am about 99.9% convinced in goin' SP-4's>UA-5>JB3? Not tootally sure yet but open to suggestions.
Thanks
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
Re:Mixpad 4
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 12:45:14 AM »
You can take one of the 1/4' outputs and send that to the 1/8" line in on the JB3.  To use the optical jack you would need a analog>digital converter

Offline Swampy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 12:47:39 AM »
Ya, I used it in the field but I just used the ADC on my recorder, the Mixpad only provides an analog out. If you can though, go UA-5, Im sure its better than the mixpad...

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 01:08:57 AM »
UA5 is much cleaner than a mixpad from what I've heard. And, it will work as a 3.5 channel mixer (I'm calling the back RCA inputs a channel and a half because you adjust their gain seperate from each other. It is a dedicated stereo pair.)

It works really well when you can get a board feed and are pretty close to the stage to run a live matrix. I've done that with excellent results a number of times.

Also good for running a three mic mix, two directional mics and a centered omni.

Definately run a UA5 if all you want to do is feed your JB3. Go mixpad if you are working with your own band more than taping for pleasure at other peoples shows.

Offline tradja

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 01:29:20 AM »
I run a Mixpad into line-in JB3 using both the main right and left outputs, with a Hosa Y-cable (dual 1/4 mono male to 3.5mm stereo male) .  It makes tapes I really like, but  I wish I had had the guts to have gone $150 more for a UA5, though - cleaner mic pre, outboard AD, and doesn't it provide 48V phantom too?

Get the UA5, and sell it to me cheap when you upgrade to a V3!  ;)
Oktava MK012s->Canare Star Quads->DIY digimod UA-5->JB3, monitored through Beyer-pad modded Sony V6 cans

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 01:36:20 AM »
Go mixpad if you are working with your own band more than taping for pleasure at other peoples shows.

Id have to disagree with this... Definitely go with the UA5 if you can, but I dont think the Mixpad is a bad pre at all. I made some killer tapes with it (see Wilco 6/21/03, or Derek Trucks 7/20/03 or Karl D 12/7/03 ect...) Did you use it? Ive heard from a few different people that its noisy, but I really dont think mine was... Im curious to hear from others that used it.

Offline tradja

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 01:41:19 AM »
. Im curious to hear from others that used it.

I like it (Thanks Silentmark!).  I keep the channel levels and main at 0 and just adjust the gain knobs next to the XLR ins.  The main 1/4" outs sent a pretty hot signal, and it sounds good to me.  That 12/7/03 Karl show is great too.  For $100, it's a way to get a cheap rig together.
Oktava MK012s->Canare Star Quads->DIY digimod UA-5->JB3, monitored through Beyer-pad modded Sony V6 cans

Offline tradja

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 01:56:16 AM »
FWIW, to very literally answer the question "How do you go line in from a Mixpad to a JB3" here is the Hosa Y-cable I use to do so:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CMP153/

I just wish I could find it with gold plugs or a thicker shielded cable...

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • I am a real American
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 11:41:50 PM »
i liked it, i made some killer tapes with my C1000>mixpad combo.  Ill send ya some tapes if you want.  My only problem with the mixpad was the batteries, i could never remember if they were fresh, dead, how long i had used them, etc.  Also there is no level meters.  Which sucks, but if you get passed that, its a nice bang for the buck.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com