Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: KM140/Config Question  (Read 2422 times)

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
KM140/Config Question
« on: June 30, 2004, 04:45:24 PM »
I'm taping a friend of mine's band tomorrow night (they're without a doubt the band I tape the most) in a
club they've played in and I've taped in many times...but not with the Neumanns yet.

The stage is in the right hand corner of the room, and the only real place to tape is from the balcony. If you're
almost in the far left corner, you can angle your mics to be practically DFC. The band plays at an angle where they
face that corner of the balcony. Below is the worst diagram ever made:

_________(wall)_________
                              [_____]   <-stage

________(balcony)_______
      x <-me

One thing of note, there isn't really any PA to speak of there...just (very loud) sound coming from the stage.
I've got quite a few tapes there made with the MBHOs, and my one main complaint was the lack of bass. What
config would be best with the 140s to up the low end? X/Y?

Any tips or jokes about my diagram would be appreciated...
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: KM140/Config Question
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 04:55:34 PM »
x/y will focus the bass and roll it off some, you will percieve it as a reduction in bass. ortf or din would be my suggestions.

enjoy your new toys!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 05:00:07 PM »
And since Tim already addressed the config issue, I have nothing to add other than try using the
 or  tags for ASCII art.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline JAH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 05:05:04 PM »
I'm taping a friend of mine's band tomorrow night (they're without a doubt the band I tape the most) in a
club they've played in and I've taped in many times...but not with the Neumanns yet.

The stage is in the right hand corner of the room, and the only real place to tape is from the balcony. If you're
almost in the far left corner, you can angle your mics to be practically DFC. The band plays at an angle where they
face that corner of the balcony. Below is the worst diagram ever made:

_________(wall)_________
                              [_____]   <-stage

________(balcony)_______
      x <-me

One thing of note, there isn't really any PA to speak of there...just (very loud) sound coming from the stage.
I've got quite a few tapes there made with the MBHOs, and my one main complaint was the lack of bass. What
config would be best with the 140s to up the low end? X/Y?

Any tips or jokes about my diagram would be appreciated...

If you want more bass go DIN, it tames the affect of highs in a coincident mode to make the lows appear more prominate...iykwim or not  ;) .
XY is good for poor acoustics and summing to mono  ::)  not the best to capture image...depends on the room (sometimes all we have).
Try running a boom from the balc to the sweet spot out in the center of the floor.

-----------------------------------
                        [
          aud          \   stage
          boom        \
             I             [
             I
-------------I--------------------
           you on balc
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 11:14:53 AM »
+T all around...

I knew X/Y reduced the lower frequencies...just wasn't thinking. Looks like I'll be going DIN
tonight, using Joe W's rigged XY/ORTF bar...
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 11:24:25 PM »
in that situation, you can close the angle in a little tighter, as well as the spacing. It will take some of the walls and boom out of that location.
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 12:38:02 PM »
I would run DIN in that situation, HTH ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com