Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What config for Gorge?  (Read 5411 times)

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
What config for Gorge?
« on: June 30, 2004, 09:16:21 PM »
Guess olyrc and I have decided to roll tape for the Allmans and the Dead this weekend at the Gorge.  3 rows in front of SBD, DC.  Got the new TLs.  How should I run them?  Don't want to hassle with splitting them too far.

-Kevin

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
Re: What config for Gorge?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 12:07:34 PM »
Kevin,
You shouldn't have too much  (I cough here) issues running for the ABB from where you are seating. BUT, I would be verys surprised if they let you run there for the Dead. The Gorge, unless they have changed their policy, is pretty tight on where you can tape. Its NOT up to the band, but the venue....unless the ABB and The Dead have slammed this in their heads!! I would bet that they are going to make you tape from the lawn for the Dead....and maybe just maybe you will be able to tape from your seat for the ABB if you are running a full sized rig (since that is the ABB policy). If you go very stealth you can run anywhere, especially if you have no stand. Remember the venue usually has the final say, not the band (even though that is the common belief).

I've been going to shows at the Gorge since 93' & they are generally pricks about taping and where you can set up. Unless there is a section, you might be asked to drop you mics down to head level at the very least. In any account go for it but be prepaired to have to move. The rumor I am hearing is that they will make tapers run from the lawn  :-\

I decided to leave my gear at home on this run and party my ass off!! Only seeing one show and want to make the best of it. Have fun and don't stress if they are nazi's (which they generally are there). Hope you have a smooth ride!! I'll keep my eye our for ya and come say hi!

Peace,
Los
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

Offline blu666z

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 12:28:45 PM »
Just out of curiosity where exactly do they put the section in the lawn?

-Kevin

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 01:54:09 PM »
Most amphitheatre "lawn only" taping shows there really isn't a section...it's like a GA show. Most tend to set up at about the closest spot to the pavilluion, if just to avoid the slope elsewhere.

Hope that helps!
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 02:26:15 PM »
BLUMLEIN.

it will sound sweet.

Two bi-directional microphones placed in the same point and angled 90° creating the stereo image.

“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline blu666z

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 02:27:55 PM »
Thought Blumlein was better suited for close to stage setups.

-Kevin

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 02:30:08 PM »
I got a much better bass repsonse in blumlein than in XY when running at horning's hideout last weekend.
Of course, the split omnis on sunday were the best.

“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

Offline blu666z

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004, 02:44:51 PM »
How close were you?

-Kevin

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2004, 02:52:03 PM »
i would advise against blumlein at the gorge. i haven't taped there but as i remember it, the lawn is pretty steep and terraced with concrete....you might get some nasty reflections.  if you can run in front of the sbd then i'd go cards or hypers DIN, possibly pointed at the stacks maybe?

remember this is just going by visual memory of the layout of the venue, take it with a grain of salt :) 

good luck, i love the gorge!

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2004, 03:04:21 PM »
at hornings, i guess about 100 feet from the stage, 15 ft. FOB.

Offline ChrisV

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2004, 04:25:48 PM »
Blah, how can the Gorge be such nazi's if they have DMB play there 2-3 times there every single year?   Seems strange to me.   Will be interesting this year for my first time taping there for DMB and JJ...don't think I'll make it out there for any concerts before then it looks like.    Last few years I've been to a ton of Gorge concerts each summer.   But Sasquatch was very weak this year, and no other concerts really appeal to me.   Think the crappy CC owned White River Amp and also Clark County Amp here have taken a lot of shows from there.    HOB even sounds desperate in their most recent email offering single show box seats for Warped Tour and Dead/ABB which I don't think they've done in the past.....

"A Private Box with dedicated service staff, alcohol and food wait service, VIP Parking, and access at every show to the Cliffhouse Club.

NOW ON SALE
Per show BoxsuiteSTM rentals for The Dead / Allman Brothers Band and Vans Warped Tour with no service charge! We offer 4, 8, and 10 seat BoxsuiteSTM at The Gorge Amphitheatre.

The Dead & Allman Brothers Band  - $100.00 per seat
Vans Warped Tour - $75.00 per seat

Amenities Include:
- Exclusive access to the Cliffhouse - a private club with a full bar, outdoor seating, and private restrooms
- Wait service in your Box Suite including the option to purchase beer and wine
- VIP Parking"

Wonder if they'd allow taping from the boxes? ;p  LOL. They are at the very back of the Pavilion, in front of the lawn.

Too bad they didn't offer up any 10 buck tickets for this stop like they have on other stops...that may have gotten me out there ;)    Maybe a small chance I'd go if I can score some cheapo tix from some other desperate soul.   Where are your guy's seats again?   What row is that in Section B?
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2004, 04:27:02 PM »
Kevin,
Its hard to say if they will let you set up on the floor next to the SBD like they did with us at Phish or if they push you back to the lawn area out of the reserved section (my guess the will since they PERHAPS wish to maximize their sales, even though it didn't sell out which = max seats). I have seen in the past at the Gorge the tapers were forced to setup on the fwd most part of the GA lawn area. There is a fence that divides the upper and lower reserved area. If you get there early (required if you want a prime spot) you can put your stand next to the fence and its not that bad of a slope.

The issue taping at the Gorge more than anything is WIND!!! Since it IS at the top of a gorge plateau you will get plenty of wind on a regular basis, but not always. Our tapes from Phish were pretty much worthless IMO due to the wind damage. If its still you will pull a decent tape, even from the GA lawn area (although not as good as if you are next to the SBD or not). DINN & ORTF worked well for me on the floor next to the board. The other pattern you are asking I have not tried with my Nak700's there or my Gefells. I have also, when up on the GA lawn, had OK luck by just ATS method.

Your biggest threat is wind and rain. As of yesterday there were T-Storms in the forecast for late afternoon/early evening. This means also potential wind!! Bring rain gear or trash bags just in case for your gear!! Two weeks ago @ Hornings/SCI gigs the first night we got DUMPED on for about 30min, complete with lightning and thunder. Good thing I was prepared and ready for rain.

Good luck.....I'll be lookin for your new TL's!!

LoS
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2004, 04:38:18 PM »
>Blah, how can the Gorge be such nazi's if they have DMB play there 2-3 times there every single year?

Because DMB sucks!! hee hee  ;) Just kiddin.......(maybe)

The Gorge staff has been getting better over the years. But being a local, and well seasoned veteran to the Gorge (see many, many shows there since 93', even before the main amphitheater was constructed) and it used to be real bad on the search going in and it is NOT 420 phriendly at all. Geeze, who in the hell wants to puff in the Honey Buckets???? Oh well, should shut my hole...has nothing to do with Kevin's question. Bringing taping equipment has been a hassel in the past and the parking lot is lame big time and heavly patrolled. It sure is a pretty venue though!! Hot as hell.....

Enjoy yourself!!

Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661

Offline ChrisV

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2004, 04:49:31 PM »
Ahh, who cares....thread hijacking rules...I seem to be doing a lot of that lately ;p

Yeah, they've been pretty lame it seems with regards to that lately even miles outside of the venue!   Last year for DMB they had traffic an absolute mess backed onto I-5 because they had like 10 cop cars right at the exit offramp basically visually 'checking' each car going through.   There were a lot of people busted sitting there in handcuffs.
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2004, 04:58:02 PM »
Ahh, who cares....thread hijacking rules...I seem to be doing a lot of that lately ;p

Yeah, they've been pretty lame it seems with regards to that lately even miles outside of the venue!   Last year for DMB they had traffic an absolute mess backed onto I-5 because they had like 10 cop cars right at the exit offramp basically visually 'checking' each car going through.   There were a lot of people busted sitting there in handcuffs.

WOW - thats interesting!! Why was that you suppose? Open containers? Open puffin?? I KNOW you have to be VERY careful if you even DARE to drive out of that place and camping anyplace other than on site. The cops are hawks and are just itchin to pull ya over!! I'm leaving my w00k VW bus at home this run and taking the eco-stealth Toyota.

LoS
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com