Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: NJB3's Right Channel always lower in volume.  (Read 6083 times)

Offline therodge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • my portfolio
NJB3's Right Channel always lower in volume.
« on: January 06, 2005, 02:48:36 PM »
I have a NJB3 and I've noticed on all my recordings the Right Channel is always a hair lower in volume.  No matter if I'm recording soundboard or mics.  Has anyone else noticed this?  My only guess could be that I might need to file down that pesky plastic more.  My mini plug locks in there pretty tight though.  I need to double check to see if any optical in stuff I recorded does the same thing.  Your thoughts?

SP-BMC-6 > SP-PREAMP >JB3

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Needs to get out more...
  • Real men wear kilts.
Re: NJB3's Right Channel always lower in volume.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 02:56:09 PM »
I've noticed this as well, but I thought it was the Left channel that was always off.....

???
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline AlphaQuam

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 03:35:09 PM »
I would double-check with an optical recording before making any changes... maybe even make one from a CD or DVD player just to really determine if it's the JB3 that's at fault.  I haven't had this exact problem, but recently I got ridiculous static hitting the right channel about every 45-80 seconds (2 second bursts) throughout an entire recording.  Have no idea what that's all about.
Audix M1290HC > Edirol UA-5d > JB3

Offline therodge

• Taperssection Regular
    • my portfolio
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 03:37:44 PM »
I just double checked an Optical-In recording.  It's alot more even... actually the Left channel may be a tad lower on it but maybe not.  But, on anything analog the Right channel is definitly a tad lower.

SP-BMC-6 > SP-PREAMP >JB3

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 05:37:33 PM »
I just double checked an Optical-In recording.  It's alot more even... actually the Left channel may be a tad lower on it but maybe not.  But, on anything analog the Right channel is definitly a tad lower.

Lower on recording, or playback?  I assume you mean recording.  In which case if one channel is lower than another when sending the JB3 an optical signal, the problem doesn't lie with the JB3, but rather your mics or outboard pre / ADC.

How are you evaluating L/R levels relative to one another?  Monitoring during recording?  Playing back in post?  Analyzing in post with s/w?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 05:58:06 PM »
Yeah, if your right side is lower than your left, thuirn up the gain on that side... 

I've found that my UA5's right is slightly lower than the left - or perhaps it because at the venue I tape most, I'm forced to be left of center, therefore the left is louder...

I don't think you have equipment problems per se, rather, just adjust the preamp more at the beginning of a show...

But you are right in that the meters on the JB3 suck and it can be hard to get even levels...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline waltflanagansdog

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "All I can say is that my life is pretty plain."
    • Show List
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 11:51:50 AM »
I have had the same problem,  but with a UA5 I can adjust the senistivity of the right channel.
C4's->WMod UA5->h120

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 06:42:57 PM »
maybe it's that the mics aren't matched well?
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline nomadsland

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 12:05:52 AM »
Hey everyone,

I'm a NJB3 newbie - just got a used one off ebay two days ago.  So far I love it.

I did my first sample analog line in recordings at home today and I noticed the same thing - the right channel is slightly lower than the left.  Its just noticable enough to be annoying/distracting.

Reading the above responses, it seems that this is a quirk of the NJB3 as opposed to a defect in a particular unit or a mic/preamp problem.   Does anyone disagree?

This forum is full of great info.  Thanks to everyone.

Best,

nomadsland

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2005, 09:06:38 AM »
the right channel is slightly lower than the left. Its just noticable enough to be annoying/distracting.

Reading the above responses, it seems that this is a quirk of the NJB3 as opposed to a defect in a particular unit or a mic/preamp problem. Does anyone disagree?

I disagree, given that we have so very little information about the problem from all parties involved (see my previous post's questions...and no answers provided).  Some more questions to try to get to the bottom of this...

• What gear, exactly, are you running?
    • Mics, power, preamp, etc.
  • Do you have the capability to adjust L/R balance before the NJB3?
  • Are you 100% positive the sound source at your recording location wasn't simply a bit quieter on the R than the L?
    • If 100% positive, how did you make this determination?  What I'm getting at here:  just because the R didn't sound quieter when you were listening while recording doesn't necesarrily mean the R wasn't actually quieter than the L.
  • Have you ruled out differences in mic sensitivity / specs as a potential source of the imbalance?
    • Even a matched pair of mics are only within 1dB of one another (which shouldn't be audible).  But an unmatched pair could easily be off 3dB or more which could be audible.
  • Have you ruled out your playback system (whether the NJB3 proper or another system altogether) as a potential source of the imbalance?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline nomadsland

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2005, 11:34:36 AM »
Brian,

Thanks for your response and your disagreement.  I had noticed this right/left discrepancy and had assumed it was something wrong in my other equipment, not my NJB3.  However, I just happened to trip across this thread last night when reading old posts.  I would be very happy if it is my other equipment! 

Quick background info - I play in a local rock band.  I have a home studio with some good non-portable equip.  My portable setup has previously been a Sony minidisc and small Sony stereo mic - very basic but good enough to record my band's practices, shows, and acoustic guitar/vocal demos of original tunes for use by my bandmates and I.  I haven't recorded anybody else's shows.  However, reading this board has made considering trying some stealth recorderings!

My current setup is just a quick fix to get the feel of the NBJ3 while I shop around for a suitable preamp (my minidisc had a preamp). I have pair of Octava MC012s that I'm going to use.   I'm thinking of getting the Sound Devices Mixpre because the pres get good reviews but I need to demo it first.

So, to answer your questions:

* What gear, exactly, are you running?
          o Mics, power, preamp, etc.

A $25 Radio Shack Amplified Listener powered by 2 AAA batteries.  (Yeah, I know!  ::) ) The sound quailty is acceptable for non-critical low level recordings and its very portable - size of altoids tin

* Do you have the capability to adjust L/R balance before the NJB3?

Yeah it has a left right balance - centered for my tests.

* Are you 100% positive the sound source at your recording location wasn't simply a bit quieter on the R than the L?

I can't say to a scientific certainty that the sound level going in L/R was exactly the same but we're talking to about 2 mic elements that are 1 inch apart. The recording source was me -  unamped acoustic guitar / vocal straight on at 3 - 5 ft..  The thing is, even the ambient noise level was slightly lower on the right.  I've recorded this setup many times before with my home studio equip as well as minidisc and have not gotten this effect.

* Have you ruled out differences in mic sensitivity / specs as a potential source of the imbalance?

No, the mic I was using was dirt cheap and therefore could easily be the source of the problem.  In fact, that is what I thought until I found this thread.  Perhaps I'll try the mic with another recorder.

* Have you ruled out your playback system (whether the NJB3 proper or another system altogether) as a potential source of the imbalance?

Yes, I played back on the NJB3 via headphones and line out. I also transferred the file via firewire and listened on another setup.

In conclusion, I'm glad there is disagreement.  I'll test to see if I get simiilar results once I upgrade my preamp and start using my MC012s.

Best,

nomadsland
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 11:38:45 AM by nomadsland »

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2005, 01:01:13 PM »
You need to apply the same signal to both channels and see if there is still a difference. I'm talking about taking one channel and applying it to both the right and left signal paths at the same time.  You could do that with just one RCA line out of your stereo, feeding an RCA Y cable (3 male ends, all tied together), into 2 RCA barrels (female looking both directions) and into your male RCA to 1/8" stereo mini plug cable that's plugged into your NJB3.

If there is a difference, then there definitely is a gain offset between the left and right inputs of your NJB3.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 03:10:54 PM by SparkE! »
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2005, 04:11:03 PM »
you might want to post a little sample - I can tell in a few seconds if you have the 'input jack problem' where the plug doesn't fully insert.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2005, 08:28:15 PM »
funny, seems my right channel is always slightly higher than the left.....
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2005, 12:14:13 PM »
I could have swore there was a thread about this . But I can't find it now..

Using the Jb3 "Analog in" sometimes the Mini plug does not seat correctly (the second Ring does not ground correctly thus not giving you a strong stereo signal l  . and that you may need to file down a bit of the white ring (input) .
 I did this and have ran   SBD RCA>mini  Or  SBD XLR>Mini  "Analog in" to the Jb3 with No uneven channels since the Mod . YMMV

you may try another Mini cable first and see if it helps.. try pressing in a bit on the mini cable while recording and see if you dont get both channels . if this helps.
Ya may wanna try the input mod.

Nick
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.167 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com