Gear / Technical Help > Battery Boxes, Preamps, Mixers, ADCs, and Processors

Weird power issue with my V3

(1/7) > >>

creekfreak:
OK, so I taped all day a few weeks ago using my V3 with zero power problems. I taped again, 2 weeks later, plugged in the power cord, screwed it down, turned on the V3 and no power comes on at all.....hmmmmmm....so I reach in back and wiggled the cable and the power and lights start to flip out, the overs come on, the bit rate lights are going off and on as I move the cable around. Finally get it stable and the power stays on, but the slightest bump causes it to flip out.

First thought was that the power cable I have is bad, second one I have been through and they are crap IMO. So I get home, get out the wallmart that comes with the V3, plug it in, and have the same problem, I have to jiggle the cord to get a good conncetion and then pray it stays, I played with it some more and realize that once I have the power cable screwed into the V3 it still moves around inside the jack a little (side to side and up and down). I  have to rotate the cable around in the jack to get a good connection, and it picks up a good conncetion on the same place as I rotate it around.

Since both cables are doing it I am thinking something is wrong with the jack, but looking at it nothing seems to be bent or damaged so I don't know what is wrong...have a slew of shows coming up with no time to ship it in, it does work, just very finickey.

Any one have any ideas what could be wrong?

Brian Skalinder:
I had the same problem and found the solution on the Oade board by someone who'd spoken with Grace about it.

If you look at the female power plug built into the V3, you'll see there's a pair of pins in the center of the plug.  Over time, these two pins get pushed together a bit, and therefore don't have solid/consistent contact with the inserted power pin.

To resolve the problem, very gently use a small glasses-type screwdriver or some such to pry the 2 pins apart just a bit.  It doesn't take much.  This should provide sufficient contact and reliable power.

(Don't snap the pins!  If you do, you're hosed.  Don't wanna scare you, it actually isn't very easy to break 'em as long as you're careful, just trying to emphasize - be careful.)

rabhan:
dont cut the red wire!

Craig T:
My V3 also suffers the power problem.  I'm very upset that such an expensive piece of equipment has a faulty $0.10 power connector.   >:(

Brian Skalinder:

--- Quote from: Craig T on June 27, 2003, 10:52:36 AM ---My V3 also suffers the power problem.  I'm very upset that such an expensive piece of equipment has a faulty $0.10 power connector.   >:(

--- End quote ---

Yeah, no doubt.  I miss the 4-pin XLR power connection on the V2!  Wish they'd stuck with it.  But I imagine internal real estate and wanting to maintain the same form factor as the V2 played a primary role in the decision.  I just check my pins every so often to be safe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version