Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DV-RA1000 DVD Recorder Surprise  (Read 69218 times)

Offline MattH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Tascam DV-RA1000 DVD Recorder Surprise
« on: April 19, 2005, 01:33:23 AM »
Wow!!!
This thing upsamples everything to DSD on playback making all your existing 16 bit material sound better than 24/96. My entire collection has never really been heard yet. And I can't wait to hear what true DSD recordings sound like.
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's
pre's: Audio Developments AD 066(11), V2, Littlebox, Tinybox, Reutelhuber
recorders: Sonosax SX-R4, Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Tascam DR-2, Mackie DL32R
playback: Teac UD-501 DAC > Meyer Sound

Offline MattH

• Taperssection Member
Re: Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD Recorder Surprise
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 01:35:50 AM »
DV-RA 1000 DSD Recorder rather.
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
Re: Tascam DV-RA1000 DVD Recorder Surprise
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 09:51:42 AM »
Forgive me as I'm not passing judgement. But how can a 16 bit recorded source sound better (or as good) as a 24 bit recorded source (if all things are equal like same mics, pre, ect.). I realize that it's using code to recreate the sound as it upsamples. But aren't you limited to the range of the 16 medium. again, I'm sure it sounds sweet. But I've been thinking about these "Upsampling" DVD players. The resolution can only be as good as the source.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 10:13:26 AM »
Forgive me as I'm not passing judgement. But how can a 16 bit recorded source sound better (or as good) as a 24 bit recorded source (if all things are equal like same mics, pre, ect.). I realize that it's using code to recreate the sound as it upsamples. But aren't you limited to the range of the 16 medium. again, I'm sure it sounds sweet. But I've been thinking about these "Upsampling" DVD players. The resolution can only be as good as the source.

my thoughts exactly.  what was recorded was recorded. 
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 10:53:29 AM »
will it record longer than 50mins in DSD mode, the instuction manual seemed to say no, but first hand experience should clarify?  How sensitive is it to skipping, I'd want to test putting it on a subwoofer while recording to see if it track well, as the bass in some shows could be equivalent. 

peace, chris (a possible DSD recorder purchaser) =)

My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline MattH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 11:00:28 AM »
I would not have thought it possible to improve the original 16 bit source upon DA conversion. I was a DSD disbeliever until yesterday. It blows my Apogee DA completely away. Makes it sound horrible in comparison. A seriously night and day difference. I'm still in shock.

Records 107 minutes continuous in DSD recording mode. You just need to add a manual track ID every 50 minutes or less to not exceeed the 2GB file size limit but you lose nothing inserting the track.

I am going to back up all my DAT recordings in 24/48 mode on DVD. I can easily fit a whole show on 1 disc and maybe 2 even shows. And it sounds sooooo much better although I could continue to listen to DAT with this Tascam as strictly a DA.

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 11:04:53 AM »
one more question, do you know if it will downsample DSD to PCM so you can get 24/48 or 24/96 digital out of the recorder from your DSD recordings? 

also have you tried to copy a DSD disc yet in your computer?  if we could do this then we can upload the DSDIFF files to the net to be burned on PC burners and played back in the Tascam.
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline MattH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 11:22:48 AM »
No downsampling or downconverting on the Tascam itself. May be possible on the PC. Discwelder has new SACD authoring software out to take DSD-Raw to SACD. $3,000 now but probably $300 in a year.

I need to try and duplicate a DSD disc in my DVD duplicator. Keeping my fingers crossed. Otherwise, you may need software or a 2nd Tascam to make DSD clones.

I never realized how PCM can dessimate the quality of a good recording.

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 11:25:07 AM »
No downsampling or downconverting on the Tascam itself. May be possible on the PC. Discwelder has new SACD authoring software out to take DSD-Raw to SACD. $3,000 now but probably $300 in a year.

Have you checked to see what is outputed on the digi outs during DSD playback?

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 11:53:21 AM »
What Apogee D/A converter are you speaking of that this blows away?
Out of the game … for now?

Offline MattH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 11:59:15 AM »
I am speaking of the Mini-DAC. Only SPDF-3 can carry the DSD digital stream. The other digi outs may pass PCM but I'm not sure yet.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 12:21:18 PM »

my thoughts exactly. what was recorded was recorded.

but why can't manipulation of the source material make it sound better? I mean we apply DSP to material all the time, how is this any different?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 12:33:36 PM »
I checked the Owner's manual on this unit and it makes no mention of any type of upsampling of the signal... On first biref look anyway.  Is there a menu setting for this?  That would be excellent news.  It's one of the key componenets of the resoultion that Ed Meitner is getting on some of his designs.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline MattH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2005, 12:37:32 PM »
DSD upsampling was the big surprise on this. No mention of it anywhere in the literature but it makes perfect sense since it's a DSD recorder. This is now a fact I'm happy to report!

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2005, 12:51:06 PM »
I'm sure it sounds better. Technology is great. I'm just wondering if a sweet playback system would give the same results, as this is artificially recreating the sound. I'm not that wise in the world of playback systems, in fact the playback forum gives me headaches :P.

I guess, it's kind of like adding normalization to a audio file. It may sound louder, but is it better?

Not a good analogy I know but I was trying to relate it.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com