Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DV-RA1000 DVD Recorder Surprise  (Read 69207 times)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Re: Tascam DV-RA1000 DVD Recorder Surprise
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2005, 01:08:07 PM »
don't you think that 24/96 upsampled to DSD would sound better than 16/44.1 upsampled to DSD?

I think that is a better comparison, instead of 16/44.1 upsampled to DSD compared to 24/96 through a regular DAC.

Offline MattH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2005, 01:13:52 PM »
The good news is that everything sounds much better when upsampled to DSD. It is not artificial at all. It is more real than you can imagine if you have not heard it. Everything sounds like it did at the actual show and not like a tape of a show. I can't imagine anything more "real sounding". It can turn any playback system into a ultra high end audiophile system. I kid you not!
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's
pre's: Audio Developments AD 066(11), V2, Littlebox, Tinybox, Reutelhuber
recorders: Sonosax SX-R4, Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Tascam DR-2, Mackie DL32R
playback: Teac UD-501 DAC > Meyer Sound

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2005, 01:19:08 PM »
i need to get one for archiving

tascam's faq:

Frequently Asked Questions about the DV-RA1000 •  Updated March 23, 2005

Q: What is DSD?
A: Direct Stream Digital is a digital format devised by Sony for the Super Audio CD player. It plays audio at 2.822MHz, or 64 times the rate of a traditional 44.1KHz CD. It is a 1-bit signal, unlike the 16-bit signal of a CD. Many audiophiles agree that DSD has the best sound quality of any digital format, and better than any analog format as well.

Q: Does the DV-RA1000 record Super Audio CD or DVD-Audio discs?
A: No. It records audio files that are ideal for mastering to DVD-Audio (DVD-A) or Super Audio CD (SACD). However, discs recorded in the DV-RA1000 cannot be played in a SACD or DVD-A player.

Q: Does it play SACD or DVD-A discs?
A: No, it will play DV-RA1000 discs or CDs.

Q: Can I record and play back CDs?
A: Yes, the DV-RA1000 records standard CDs.

Q: Does it record DVD Video files that I can play in a DVD player?
A: No, there is no video on the unit and DV-RA1000 discs can't be played in a DVD player.

Q: What can I do with the discs?
A: The discs can be played in any computer with a DVD-ROM drive capable of playing DVD+RW discs. It creates UDF discs, a standard format read by virtually all computer platforms, including Mac, Windows and Linux. The files recorded are Broadcast Wave (.WAV) or DSDIFF (.DFF) files.

Q: What discs can I use?

A: TASCAM currently recommends DVD+RW media by Ricoh, Philips, Maxell, TDK or Sony, 4.7GB, up to 4x speed.

Q: Do I have to do anything to the discs before recording?

A: Discs have to be formatted before recording on them. The DV-RA1000 formats discs in the background: you'll notice the "CLOSE" indicator flashing in the display while this is happening. You can record or eject a disc before it is completely formatted, but to avoid problems TASCAM recommends waiting for a new disc to be completely formatted (about 30 minutes) before recording.

Q: How long can I record to DVD+RW?
A: The recording times are:

* 44.1kHz/24-bit (290 min.)
    * 48kHz/24-bit (267 min.)
    * 88.2kHz/24-bit (144 min.)
    * 96kHz/24-bit (133 min.)
    * 176.4kHz/24-bit (72 min.)
    * 192kHz/24-bit (66 min.)
    * DSD (2.8224MHz/1-bit, 109 min.)

Q: Can I record at higher sample rates than 44.1k/16-bit to CD?
A: No, recording to CD is only possible at "Red Book" audio CD resolution. The CD you record can be played in any CD player.

Q: How big is the hard drive?
A: There is no hard drive, the DV-RA1000 records directly to DVD or CD.

Q; Does the DV-RA1000 record and play back true Direct Stream Digital, or is it converted from PCM?
A: TASCAM worked with Sony to create a true DSD recorder. The A/D and D/A converters output true DSD resolution in addition to PCM signals. The A/D is a Burr Brown PCM1804, and the D/A is a DSD1792.

Q: What is the control port?
A: This is an RS-232C-compatible jack that can be connected to systems like Crestron¨ and AMX¨. Programming codes to control the recorder will be posted to tascamcontractor.com.

Q: What is a DSDIFF file?
A: A DSDIFF file is the standard file used for DSD recording. It can be read by DSD computer systems, such as Sony Sonoma¨, Philips SA-CD Creator and Sadie¨.

Q: What is an SDIF-3 jack?
A: This is used for digital connection to DSD computer systems or converters.

Q: How is 192kHz/24-bit audio sent digitally?
A: The AES/EBU connectors are capable of dual-speed/double-wire operation.

Q: How does the DV-RA1000 handle editing and DSP if it records directly to a disc?
A: You can edit, trim and process audio using a DVD+RW disc. If necessary, the audio is re-written to the disc.

Q: Can I edit all formats of audio?

A: No, you can only edit and process audio up to 96kHz. 192kHz and DSD audio can not be processed.

Q: I see "Read Error -61" on the display.

A: When you insert a disc, select a new project or even a new track, you'll notice the DISC light flashing as the RAM buffer fills up. Wait until the DISC light stops flashing before pressing PLAY to avoid disc read errors.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 01:32:31 PM by John R »
we all live downstream.

Offline MattH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2005, 03:26:26 PM »
A quote today from one of the most trusted sources in the taping community:

"Yes, once you hear PCM upsampled to true DSD ( not DSD using multiBit DACs, this is no better than PCM) PCM sounds bad !"
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2005, 03:34:46 PM »
a lot would depend on what you are listening back on though
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2005, 03:36:08 PM »
The sony digital receivers upsample pcm to dsd and this upsampling to dsd is a large part of why they sound so good.

Offline MattH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2005, 04:36:30 PM »
And it sounds even better going to your preamp/amp or receiver of choice. Honestly, this will make a poor system sound like a great one. We've been fooled for so long that high end expensive gear is required for great sound.

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2005, 05:05:33 PM »
While I'm not one of them I'm guessing alot of audiophiles are going to frown on it for some reason. But if you like it then, that's what matters.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2005, 05:46:49 PM »
And it sounds even better going to your preamp/amp or receiver of choice. Honestly, this will make a poor system sound like a great one. We've been fooled for so long that high end expensive gear is required for great sound.

There is more to great sound than a source component.  No?

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2005, 05:53:54 PM »

There is more to great sound than a source component.  No?

Though I've not heard the tascam referenced above, I continue to be absolutely floored by the difference my sony strda5000es receiver has made to my system. My understanding is that a VERY large part of the improvement I've noticed stems from the sony's use of dsd upsampling. 

Offline MattH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2005, 06:02:26 PM »
Another way to put it is:

DSD on a Low-Fi system is going to sound better than PCM on an audiophile system. DSD on the same system will blow PCM away. It's that simple.

Offline Tim

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2005, 06:23:12 PM »
Another way to put it is:

DSD on a Low-Fi system is going to sound better than PCM on an audiophile system.

okay, I was with you up until this point.

do you have any way of supporting this assertion at all?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2005, 06:29:20 PM »
we have some good pricing on these.  pm me if you're in the market for one.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline MattH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2005, 06:47:13 PM »
Bought mine for $1,099 from a national retailer. Initials are FC and located in Wisconsin.

In my experience, the difference between upsampled DSD and the same PCM source is greater than the difference between Hi_Fi PCM and Low-Fi PCM. I think that's makes for a reasonable assertion but I will actually do this test to confirm.

Offline Tim

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2005, 06:51:42 PM »
what is the rest of your playback system? Just looking for a frame of reference...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com