Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic configuration for stealth-sized microphones  (Read 3230 times)

Offline flagg6805

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm your Huckleberry.
Mic configuration for stealth-sized microphones
« on: August 07, 2005, 11:45:01 AM »
I've been reading around and all the microphone configuration information I've found is for "regular" sized mics and any information on "mini" mics seems to be about how best to conceal them for stealth recording.  I have mini mics but I record out in the open.  My question is does anybody else use stealth mics for non-stealth recording and if so, how do you set up your mics?  Do the same set-ups w/ the same spacing apply (i.e, ORTF @ 110 deg, 17 cm, NOS @ 90 deg, 30cm, etc)?  Just curious, because i want to start trying different configs with my small mics.  Also, how do you mount your mics.  As for my, I use my DIY shock mounts that I posted earlier...

ricardo

Offline flagg6805

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm your Huckleberry.
Re: Mic configuration for stealth-sized microphones
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 12:34:23 PM »
Thanks macdaddy, but I'm looking for non-stealth setups... I don't do stealth recordings.  Not that I'm knocking stealth recording, I just prefer to tape shows where recording is ok. 

Offline flagg6805

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm your Huckleberry.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 12:45:45 PM »
oh, if you are using omnis, go with a "j-disc" or "jecklin disc" search...

if you are using mini cards, i dont know what you would do...

oh, i tape many "open" acts with a hrtf headband - you can get right up front and center - it is the same as a stage lip recording (more or less), and certainly sounds better than when the mics are setup further back in the room...

Yeah, I'm using mini cards....  Hmmm... the hrtf headband idea sounds interesting, maybe I'll try that.  Problem is, I'm usually dancing and/or bopping around at shows, wouldn't I need to stand still if I was using a headband?

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 01:52:58 PM »
It is a general recomendation that "brighter" mics, or mics with an emphasis on the high end (treble), are configured using a near coincident technique such as ortf, din, nos, etc.  Something about the space between the mic capsules opens up the low end (bass).

I may be mistaken since I only have lower-end mini-mics (at831x), but I was under the impression that mini-mics IN GENERAL are brighter by nature.

What mics are you using? Try all the configs and see what you like, that's the best way to find out.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline flagg6805

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm your Huckleberry.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 03:55:16 PM »
What mics are you using?

I'm using the microphone madness w/ the senheisser capsule which are pretty "bassy" actually...

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 07:22:31 PM »
are those cardioid caps or omni caps.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline flagg6805

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm your Huckleberry.
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2005, 08:15:15 PM »
are those cardioid caps or omni caps.

cards

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2005, 08:01:45 AM »
No, I haven't got the answers, although I'm interested in your thread, as I want to go open later this year, however the low number of open shows means its not worth my while invesing in open mics.

A few points:

-Your shock mounts are similar in construction to tensimounts, though easier to mount on the T-bar. I like the work you've done, and might have a go at doing this, if I can find similar parts here in the UK.

http://www.tensimount.com/tensimount.htm

-Speaking of the T bar, why did you go for a "V" shape rather than straight? Someone told me that 16" was ideal between mini mics, but I get the impression thats a bit wide?

-Normal to put DIY projects in "Rig Pictures" (minor point!)

Heres a similar discussion, by the way:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=43497.0

AT853s are possibly the same size as your mics?

Humbug
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline John R

• Needs to get out more...
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2005, 08:29:32 AM »
there's i guy that comes to telluride bluegrass that has his mics on pieces of flex-arm(what i call it) that littlite's are made of.  this way he can place his mics in any setup he chooses.

we all live downstream.

Offline flagg6805

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm your Huckleberry.
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2005, 10:34:06 AM »

-Your shock mounts are similar in construction to tensimounts, though easier to mount on the T-bar. I like the work you've done, and might have a go at doing this, if I can find similar parts here in the UK.

http://www.tensimount.com/tensimount.htm

Hey, thanks for the link, those are pretty neat.  After reading through the link you posted below, I noticed the guy who I originally got my idea from and that's mattb, so thanks matt, wherever you are....

-Speaking of the T bar, why did you go for a "V" shape rather than straight? Someone told me that 16" was ideal between mini mics, but I get the impression thats a bit wide?

See, now that's part of my problem, I don't know what a good configuration is for miniature mics.  I picked the "v" shape because it gives me a 90 deg angle and 7" spacing by just lining up the mics w/ the bar. Now, I know that this is less of an angle than is required for ORTF, but it has been working alright for me.  I need to find a way to be able to easily set up the mics w/ a 113 deg angle.  Of course, this bar limits me in terms of not being able to use other configurations.  I was originally using a straight bar but I found it was too heavy.  Reading through the thread you listed has given me some ideas to try to come up w/ a new t-bar, one where I could slide the shock mounts to set up a variety of configurations (which was my original idea, I just could find one where there was a hole that ran along the length of it to slide the mounts up and down on.)

16" does seem a little wide... I was under the impression that for near coincident configs one should try to mimic the spacing of the human ear... or perhaps that was just if you're using omnis?.

-Normal to put DIY projects in "Rig Pictures" (minor point!)

oops!  Yeah, I figured that out afterwards.... sorry Mr. Moderator!  :-[

Heres a similar discussion, by the way:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=43497.0

AT853s are possibly the same size as your mics?

I'm not sure if they're the same size... let me measure right now actually....  the mic is just under .5" in diameter and 7/8" long

Again, thanks for the links, they've def. provided food for thought... too bad I'm off to Alaska tomorrow, otherwise, I'd be off to the hardware store...  I think you could easily find the parts for the mounts in the UK.  Or at least similar ones.  First obvious difference is that they'll be metric parts, but at the very least you should be able to find suitable alternatives.   If you want, send me an email and I can send you my directions, it might give you a better idea of what's going on in my setup.

ricardo

ricardo

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com