Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tube amp and speaker purchase advice  (Read 7635 times)

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
Re: Tube amp and speaker purchase advice
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2005, 09:55:41 AM »
Just my opinion, but B&W's and HIGHLY overrated unless you are into mellow classical/jazz recordings.  Much better value from grresearch, vmps, vsa, just to name a few.

and i respect your opinion, as wrong as it is.

which part is wrong: B&W's are overrated unless you listen to mellow classical/jazz, that there are better values from other mfgs., or both?  I may not argue the mellow bit, but I would beg to differ on the better value 

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2005, 10:10:39 AM »
Just my opinion, but B&W's and HIGHLY overrated unless you are into mellow classical/jazz recordings.  Much better value from grresearch, vmps, vsa, just to name a few.

And I respect yours as as always.

I do not believe I have ever heard a tube amp before but am considering getting a dk designs mk3 signature soon.  If I am a detail freak, am I going to not like tubes?
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2005, 10:19:31 AM »

which part is wrong: B&W's are overrated unless you listen to mellow classical/jazz, that there are better values from other mfgs., or both?  I may not argue the mellow bit, but I would beg to differ on the better value 

i disagree with the b&w's being overrated- i think there are other good values out there, but the term value is highly subjective here.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2005, 10:35:57 AM »
Obviously, some value their dollars differently than others, and others see value in speakers differently, but to clarify my opinion, I found that my dollar went further looking at other lines regarding  appearance in addition to sound.

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2005, 10:38:34 AM »
Obviously, some value their dollars differently than others, and others see value in speakers differently, but to clarify my opinion, I found that my dollar went further looking at other lines regarding  appearance in addition to sound.

i think it has a lot to do with the pairing of the amps and speakers.  for me, i couldnt find a better match for the mcintosh components than b&w nautilus speakers.  i couldnt find anything cleaner, clearer, or more detailed without getting into the 10k+ range.

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2005, 11:43:11 AM »

i think it has a lot to do with the pairing of the amps and speakers.  for me, i couldnt find a better match for the mcintosh components than b&w nautilus speakers.  i couldnt find anything cleaner, clearer, or more detailed without getting into the 10k+ range.

Fair enough, it's just my opinion, albeit an educated one.  Speakers are like taping gear, everyone has their personal tastes.  Has anyone heard the new 800 series diamond tweeters yet? 
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2005, 11:48:08 AM »

Fair enough, it's just my opinion, albeit an educated one.  Speakers are like taping gear, everyone has their personal tastes.  Has anyone heard the new 800 series diamond tweeters yet? 

I took a listen to them last week- detailed is a good word for them.  They are decently fast and accurate.  I am just not trained enough to really hear that diamond tweeter in comparison to the tweeters in mine.

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2005, 12:55:01 PM »
Anyone heard the PrimaLuna stuff?  Stereophile fluffed them, but Upscale Audio also places lots of ads, so who knows?  I'd like some "other" opinions...

I have a Prima Luna Prologue One and I love it.  I think I gave a full review in this forum at some point but I'm too lazy to go looking for it.   :)

I can't really comment about the low end since my MMGs are a little lacking in that area but the mids are silky smooth and the highs are very clear and defined.  One really nice feature of the Prima Lunas is that they self bias.  I really like the amp and have no intentions of replacing it anytime in the near future.

BobW

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2005, 10:02:41 PM »

And I respect yours as as always.

I do not believe I have ever heard a tube amp before but am considering getting a dk designs mk3 signature soon.  If I am a detail freak, am I going to not like tubes?

Start thinking high end solid state, Levinson, Krell, Plinius and I'll bet that you'd like the Portal Panache...

Tube amps are rarely described as detailed, articulate, critical, or accurate.
The closest are pure class A OTL balanced designs.  Hard to find.
They also sacrifice some of the very qualities that endear us to tube sound.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.159 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com