Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: This just in................  (Read 5723 times)

Offline shane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
This just in................
« on: November 02, 2005, 12:22:53 PM »
I just got my amp, straight from Jolida (1501RC).   I've had the new dvd player (Denon 2910) for about two weeks but have been waiting for the amp.  Man was it worth the wait.  This thing sounds great.  I can only imagine what its going to sound like through some better speakers.  I'm currently running my old Polk Audio RT35i's with some Monster speaker wire and its still quite an improvement over my previous set up.  Too bad I'm going to have to really wait to buy speakers (just bought a 32" Sony Bravia lcd tv too).  Although I do think I'm going to invest in some high quality speaker cable now though.   
Miles Davis' "In A Silent Way" is my go to disc for evaluating new stuff and all I can say is that it passes with flying colors.  Amazing depth and layering to the sound.  I'm not missing the sub at all and the two channels is suiting my just fine.  This is the first piece of audio gear I've ever owned that sounds better the louder it gets.
My only complaint is I can hear some hiss on quieter parts of the music and when there is no signal.  Could this be inferior speaker wire?  Thoughts?  Okay time for test #2- Steve Kimock Band.  Later.

Shane

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: This just in................
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 12:30:17 PM »
+T for new toyz!  Glad you're happy man!  I'm envious of that UDP!
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 12:41:23 PM »
I seriously doubt "hiss" would be a speaker cable problem unless they are just plain broken.  That said, monster cable is el crapo and overpriced, so you probably will want to get something that at the very least will do your amp justice.  I would guess the amp is just revelaing whatever analog artifacts were on the original master that you didn't hear before due to whatever you were using not being as transparent, but it's just a guess. 

Speaker cable recs: >100, Bolder m-80

Or contact Todd about the dogstarr deals he makes.

D~
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 12:53:29 PM »
maybe it's the ICs?
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 01:16:27 PM »
I just do not think hiss would be introduced via wire.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline shane

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 01:41:35 PM »
I guess its not so much of a hiss but more like a hum.  Its hard to describe.  Even with the volume all the way down and nothing playing i can hear it through the speakers.  Its quiet but still audible.  If I turn the volume up it doesn't get any louder

Shane

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 01:44:18 PM »
I guess its not so much of a hiss but more like a hum.  Its hard to describe.  Even with the volume all the way down and nothing playing i can hear it through the speakers.  Its quiet but still audible.  If I turn the volume up it doesn't get any louder

Shane

something else on the circuit?  lights/lamps maybe?

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

BobW

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 02:03:16 PM »
Disconnect all inputs to the amp and listen.
Crank the volume... is it there
?
Does it get louder with the volume control spin ?

This would mean that it's in the amp, alone.
If the volume affects it, it's in the tube preamp section of the integrated, mos' likely.

Connect the Denon UDP, power it, but play no disk.
Did the noise show up ?

Try different disks and different types of disk, DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD, CD
Does it associate itself with any source type ?

...OK, I've got to get back to work.
I'll look for your replies and post more, if needed.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 02:06:54 PM by _Bob_ »

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 02:05:36 PM »

Shane

Could be a ground loop.  Try getting a 3->2 prong adapter and plugging the amp in with no ground connected to see if that solves your problem.  Are both on the same circuit, plugged into the same outlet?
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

BobW

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 02:09:57 PM »

Shane

Could be a ground loop.  Try getting a 3->2 prong adapter and plugging the amp in with no ground connected to see if that solves your problem.  Are both on the same circuit, plugged into the same outlet?

Great point !
Be careful touching the chassis of any open-ground powered devices.
There's a thread up about a preacher and a mic at a baptismal.
Same rules apply here.  Especially with new gear.

Offline shane

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 02:29:52 PM »
I'll try a different outlet.  Everything is plugged in at the same place.  If this turns out to be the problem what can I do to fix it.  Would be running a separate outlet for the amp solve it or is there something else I could do?

Shane

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2005, 03:16:44 PM »
Me thinks it is a grounding problem, probably the amp.

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2005, 03:35:09 PM »
I'll try a different outlet.  Everything is plugged in at the same place.  If this turns out to be the problem what can I do to fix it.  Would be running a separate outlet for the amp solve it or is there something else I could do?

Shane

Plugged inot the same place is good.  Trying a different outlet will most likely have the same effect, if not make it worse (multiple ground points = bad).  Seriously try one of those 3 to 2 pin plug "cheaters" and see what the effect is.  Preamps and Integrateds used to be built with pass through outlets to combat this issue so that everything is grounded to the same point and prevent hum.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

zowie

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2005, 03:45:57 PM »
Whenever I've had ground hum problems they've gone up and down with the volume.  Very often amp hum that is not volume sensitive indicates a bad cap.  If it were not a new amp that's the first think I'd think. Pretty unlikely on a new amp, but keep it in mind.

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2005, 04:20:32 PM »
Whenever I've had ground hum problems they've gone up and down with the volume.  Very often amp hum that is not volume sensitive indicates a bad cap.  If it were not a new amp that's the first think I'd think. Pretty unlikely on a new amp, but keep it in mind.

The relation of the hum to the volume depends on where the ground loop is; if the loop is being casued at the amp or component, but can be constant or variable as you have seen.  Variable hum will come from the amp itself being the source of the loop, constant hum is generally caused by a component; but isolating either should cure it.  If you can turn the plug around (non-polarized 2 prong only) then give that a whirl.  If you have the 2910 connected to any other components, disconnect it and see what happens, you should be able to isolate it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.154 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com