Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Linksys Router - which model to get?  (Read 1793 times)

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Linksys Router - which model to get?
« on: November 15, 2005, 12:14:16 PM »
My WRT54G was working fine before I left the house last Sunday. I got home last night and the lights don't come on. Rather than deal with customer service, I think I'm just going to go buy a new one since best buy is running a rebate right now on the linksys models. What's the difference between

Linksys - 802.11g Wireless Router WRT54G
Up to 54 Mbps transfer rates with Wireless-G (54g); 2.4GHz wireless frequency (802.11g- and 802.11b-compliant); cable/DSL Internet sharing

and

Linksys - SpeedBooster 802.11g Wireless Router WRT54GS
Increased performance and efficiency; 802.11b/g-compliant; Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA)

Is speedbooster really worth the extra $20?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re: Linksys Router - which model to get?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 12:39:16 PM »
Assuming the hype is true and SpeedBooster actually performs as marketed, it's only worth switching to the SpeedBooster model if:

<1>  all your other devices are also equiped with SpeedBooster adapters
<2>  you're using wireless to transmit large data sets across an internal network

And definitely NOT worth it if

<3>  you're using your wireless router only for distributing internet access;  SpeedBooster won't help b/c most broadband connections are far slower than the standard wireless-G speeds, anyway
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 01:08:23 PM »
The WRT54G really is the greatest consumer wireless router out there.   In addition to the great prices you can find them for, there are all sort of upgraded and improved firmwares for it that can help to increase the performance of them. 

The Speedbooster only works if you have Speedbooster cards in your computers.  It does NOT speed up existing connections.   

I would tell you to go with the 54G and install a new firmware  in it.  Try http://www.sveasoft.com/   They have a couple of different firmware packages for the router.   One thing that has helped me quite a bit with my network is the ability to increase the antenna gain as it is limited by the FCC out of the box.  By increasing it my range has greatly inmproved as well as fewer dropped packets. 

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 10:57:01 AM »
Interesting.  I see their firmware downloads are only available for a $20/year subscription fee.  Is it really worth it for a home network?  I don't really have any complaints about my 54TG, but I am curious to see what improvements could be made.  I assume you signed up for their subscription?

Dirk
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 11:34:54 AM »
Interesting.  I see their firmware downloads are only available for a $20/year subscription fee.  Is it really worth it for a home network?  I don't really have any complaints about my 54TG, but I am curious to see what improvements could be made.  I assume you signed up for their subscription?

Looks like they release older versions publicly:

http://www.sveasoft.com/content/view/3/1/

I may give Alchemy a go and try to set up a VPN so I can access my network more easily remotely.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 12:15:55 PM »

Dirk

I do run one of their free firmwares.  Not in front of my router right now but I use their Satori (sp?) firmware.  I'll check later on its version number.  If anyone wants it I can email it to you.  It is one of the free versions.   One of the biggest benefits I found was the ability to adjust the broadcast signal of the router itself.  My range has not doubled or anything but signal strength has significanly increased around my house.  Also it has more setting for running a VPN which is what I do at home. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com