Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Preamp Nervana  (Read 6086 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Preamp Nervana
« on: March 08, 2006, 01:24:07 PM »
at my house today.
Carl is on his way over so we can play around and listen to some stuff, and we'll report back on that end of things.
Otherwise, we have here before us my Audio Experience Symphonies +, with rolled tubes consisiting of a Philps JAN 6x4 and 3 Sovtek 12ax7's. 
I have a pair of NOS JAN 5751s to roll into that for the outputs tubes, plus i'll try Carls as well.

Carl has his beta MODwright 9.0 line stage preamp, complete with bomber ass outboard power supply.  Comes w/a pair of Tungsol 12ax7's, and we can swap out everything between what we have for tubes on hand.
I've got a pair of GT 12ax7 Mullard re-issues coming...whish they were here now.

Pics attached.

Question for you techies.
I want to upgrade my parts on the Symph board.  everything is very spaced out and easily accessable.  Looks like an easy MOD job waiting to happen.  My question is, seeing how I dont know what i'm looking at really, what shoudl "come out" and what should replace those parts?
please, lmk.
:)

We'll report back on our listening results later.
fwiw...Carls preamp retails for $2k, picked up used for a cool G or there abouts I believe.  Mine retails for $690.  Picked up used for $375.
I expect the MODwright to smoke my Symphonies.  we'll see!

We'll be running into my custom ICEpower 250wpc amp and the trusty VonSchweikert VR4 GEN1's.  All ICs are Gregg Stralley "red licorace" models except the DVD-A > preamp pair which are cryo'd Boulder M-80s.

Offline Nick's Picks

Re: Preamp Nervana
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 01:25:22 PM »
more pics of the Symphonies insides.
this is the shot where i'm looking for recomendations for things to pull out and replace with higher quality stuff.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 01:35:21 PM »
doesn't anyone work anymore? :)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 01:38:44 PM »
I want to upgrade my parts on the Symph board.  everything is very spaced out and easily accessable.  Looks like an easy MOD job waiting to happen.  My question is, seeing how I dont know what i'm looking at really, what shoudl "come out" and what should replace those parts?
please, lmk.

I'm not a techie, so I can't help with specifics.  But I think it makes sense to treat upgrading or modding playback gear the same as upgrading or modding recording gear.  Decide what sonic characteristics you do or do not like, then mod / upgrade accordingly.  So maybe listen to the darn thing for a little while first?  :P
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline krebsy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 01:45:51 PM »
Nick, plunk some of those tung-sol's in the Symph+.  mmmmmm   :coolguy:
"Two wrongs don't make a right. Three rights make a left."

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 01:47:02 PM »
please, lmk.

I'm not a techie, so I can't help with specifics.  But I think it makes sense to treat upgrading or modding playback gear the same as upgrading or modding recording gear.  Decide what sonic characteristics you do or do not like, then mod / upgrade accordingly.  So maybe listen to the darn thing for a little while first?  :P

UGH, not the voice of reason!  by all means nick, drop some money in that thing.  who wants un modded gear anyway!   ;)
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 02:08:59 PM »
damn straight!

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 04:09:31 PM »
I was working today, sort of  ;D
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 10:34:20 PM »
So we listened for about an 1.5 hours today, going back and forth between the two preamps and various discs where we would listen to the same track on each unit..etc.

the ModWright is fucking awesome.  It made the Symp+ sound muddy and anemic in comparrison. Way laid back comparred to the "in your face" sound of the ModWright.  Bass was HUGE w/the MW, weak w/the Symph.  Which is surprising, as that is what improved the most in my system when I introduced it innitialy.
I felt the Symph had a deeper soundstage, more spatial info.....depth.  But its lack of overall resolution and general omission of bass responce still reduced it to an "eh" sounding preamp.

then, we put my GE 5751s in the output stage of the Symph, and it was a totaly different animal.  The MW still sounded better, but not nearly by the giant margin as it did w/the stock Sovtek tubes.  After that roll, it was much more on the same playing field where as prior, it was more like selling hot dogs in the parking lot.

I'm horny now for some GT 12ax7's.
and...to MOD the shit out of it.

Carl, you scorred hard w/that MW pre.  fucking sweet piece.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 10:36:09 PM by Nick's Picks »

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 10:40:06 PM »
Hopefully you're comparing with warmed up tubes.  My tube amps sound like completely different animals after about an hour of warm-up time.  I guess a 12ax7 preamp wouldn't take quite as long to warm up to ear pleasing sound as an EL34 amp though.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 11:02:11 PM »
I think for the money the Symph is awesome with some good tubes in there but if money is no object then you need to hear a Modwright. It is scary good, IMO.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 11:04:15 PM »
Hopefully you're comparing with warmed up tubes.  My tube amps sound like completely different animals after about an hour of warm-up time.

Same here.  And as you experienced, Nick, swapping out tubes makes a huge difference.  My Symphonies (no +) sounded anemic and terrible when I first fired it up - scared the shit outta me.  It took a while to break in and to find tubes I liked.  Happy listening!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 07:29:51 AM »
isn't your Symph my old one?

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 08:42:33 AM »
please, lmk.

PM sent.

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 09:51:11 AM »
In looking at the first picture, I see two auricap capcitors of some value, as well as 4 resistors, the green things, and wima capacitors, the red ones, which apear to be film capacitors of the pulse variety according to their website.  Replacing the auricaps may or may not be necessary.  Assuming they are matched, which I would hope they are, they should be fine.  Auricaps are known for a fairly robust sound though probably on the warmer side of the spectrum.  Sonicaps are certainly one alternative, and provide a more netral true to the source sound.  The wima caps should definately be replaced with silver micas.  The green resistors I am not all that farmiliar with as I do not recognize the color.  Probably some type of oem resistors if I were guessing.  I used mills resistors when I modded my speaker's crossovers and they sound great.  Probably an alternative worth looking into.

The second picture shows tons of capcitors which could be changed.  The blue ones look like nichicon caps, which are fairl decent.  The black ones apear to be the cheap version of panasonic caps.  I would keep the same voltages, increase the capacitance, and use black gates or all nichicon caps if it were me.  I think these changes should go a long way to improving the sound of the unit.   There is quite a bit more you could do, but we aren't talking easy in all likelyhood. 

Hope this helps.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 02:37:39 PM »
The first two pictures with the auricaps is from my Modwright, Nick has the Symphanie Plus he would like to mod. I have no idea what is what so I have no plans of modding anything  ;D

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2006, 09:26:34 AM »
The big yellow things are auricaps.  The only reason to change would be because you want a different sonic signature.  I use auricaps in the bass region of my speaker crossovers...bigg ass 51uf caps too.  I kind of feel like an idiot ::) ;D
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2006, 07:58:40 PM »
Try an Amperex Orange Globe 12AX7s for the input and a pair of Sylvania Gold Brand 5751s as the output.  :)

If you're considering upgrading the Symphonies you might want to contact Alex Peychev at APL Hifi, I know he's modded a couple Symphonies and supposedly the results were outstanding.  He might not be willing to do the mods now since he's pretty backlogged on his modded Denon 3190s and his new uber player but it might be worth a shot.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2006, 08:22:06 AM »
thanks Nick.  I'll check him out. 

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2006, 10:07:11 AM »
I think I may have found something of interest to you or at least slightly relevant nick.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/audio_experience_e.html

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2006, 10:32:16 AM »
not a great review.
ah well.  to each their own.  I think the symph and sympn + rock.  i'm sure that its not up to its potential design though, and that there are many stock parts that can be replaced.  I intend to look into this some more.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2006, 09:25:06 PM »
It wasn't the review I was posting but rather the mod comments at the bottom of the review.  Review's don't mean shit.  I use them as a guide more or less. 

Honestly, I would contact Wayne @ Bolder and send it to him.  He will give you an estimate before doing anything, takes one off projects, and is killer to work with as well.

Again, hope this helps.

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2006, 10:01:53 PM »
While it may not be a good review it is EXACTLY what you were looking for. I say you give it a shot.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2006, 07:18:26 AM »
i know...
and the parts in question are very 'spaceious" in there, so easyy to snip out and replace from the looks of things.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2006, 08:18:34 PM »
While it may not be a good review it is EXACTLY what you were looking for. I say you give it a shot.

Funny thing is I found it while searching for "auricaps."   :D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.136 seconds with 49 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com