Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: best setup for SP-TFB-2 binaural  (Read 1629 times)

Offline FurryAnimal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
best setup for SP-TFB-2 binaural
« on: March 12, 2006, 10:50:54 AM »
Hello,

I am brandnew here (and in general in taping) and had a little question. I have done researches in the archives but couldn't find any info on the model of mics i'm using especially in conjunction with the MT2496 recorder.

So here we go, and sorry if I exaseperate veterans with my dummie question :(

SP-TFB-2 binaural mics > SP-SPSB-1 9v preamp and bass roll-off > MircoTrack 24/96 1/8" jack input (m/l in)

Now I did several tests in front of my home hi-fi at earbleeding volume, but still it doesn't reflect what in field resulsts would be, i don't whether i should chose between:

binaurals without battery module , 1/8" jack mic in (the MT switch on M)
binaurals without battery module - phantom power of MT on - , 1/8" jack  line in (the MT switch on L)
binaurals with battery module - phantom power of MT on - , 1/8" jack  line in (the MT switch on L)

And additionally, any clue on the bass roll-off settings, if needed? it's for recording a progrock gig from first row (loud but not extremely loud kinda music)

Thanks for the patiene and advice :-)

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA bookmarks
Re: best setup for SP-TFB-2 binaural
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 11:08:55 AM »
binaurals without battery module , 1/8" jack mic in (the MT switch on M)
binaurals without battery module - phantom power of MT on - , 1/8" jack  line in (the MT switch on L)
binaurals with battery module - phantom power of MT on - , 1/8" jack  line in (the MT switch on L)
I am pretty sure ya can not run these mics w/ phantom power unless ya have XLR>Mini plug adapters that accept phantom power. Check forums out on this subject!! I would go SP-TFB-2 >Battery box>MT(line in) and see how ya like it at a show. Then go from their after you hear the results. Remember to not brickwall so keep a eye on the levels and if ya have to boost them ya can do it after the show. Good luck!
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline FurryAnimal

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 11:16:42 AM »
Yah thanks a lot for the advice. that was (intuitively) the solution i was going to use for a "tryout" of my recording devie this evening.
I guess indeed phantom is for stuff hooked on the 1/4" jack.
In my test runs with my home hi-fi i noticed i have to put the re levels completely down with binaural> battery>line in mode. Even then it tends to clip sometimes when the source volume is tóó loud, but that was maybe like 120dB or so. I think it'll do alright for a gig. Actually the re level of the Mt is more like on input gain (from 0 to +12dB) than a recording level really.

Offline FurryAnimal

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 12:01:36 PM »
this is odd, it seems i have clipping at higher volumes (about 100dB) with batt box and line in with record level at lowest. On the other hand, without batt module, still line in, I have decent volume with record level in the middle (clipping/brickwall at record level max - silence at record level minimum). You'd think a battery module would lower the input volume drastically? or do i have it aaaall wrong?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com