Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: time for a new amp  (Read 5786 times)

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
time for a new amp
« on: June 05, 2006, 12:07:10 AM »
A friend of mine is buying my PS Audio HCA-2, so I'm looking for something new in the same price range ($800, $1k max). Someone suggested the Bel Canto s300 as a similar amp in terms of both performance and price. I've found that I like the Class D amps (like the HCA-2 and the Channel Islands monoblocks), so that sounds like a good suggestion. Can anyone suggest a few others in that price range for comparison?

Thanks!
Out of the game … for now?

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
Re: time for a new amp
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 12:14:11 AM »
Some brands to check out:

Carver
Adcom (not quite up in that $$ range, but great bang for the buck)
Classe
Parasound
Mccormack
Bryston

Happy shopping!
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 12:57:13 AM »
+T for the reccomendations, Ben! Aside from the Bel Canto s300, I liked what I saw of the Parasound Halo A23 (or A21 if I can find a good enough deal), the Classe CA-2100 (but that's WAY too expensive), and the Bryston 2B SST.

I'll have to read some reviews and hear what others have to say. Perhaps I'll get a chance to demo one or more when I move into my new place next month.

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 09:32:50 AM »
Build a hypex amp.  Go to diycable.com and order the kit.  All you will need is a chassis to hook it up.  A steal at 750 for what you get.  I would estimate equivalent to probably ~2000 and up.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 09:58:36 AM »
Build a hypex amp.  Go to diycable.com and order the kit.  All you will need is a chassis to hook it up.  A steal at 750 for what you get.  I would estimate equivalent to probably ~2000 and up.

It appears to be a monoblock, so that's really $1500, which is out of my price range. Also, I consider my own labor to be a "cost."

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 06:27:36 PM »

That is the 350W, you can make the UCD400 (200W) at a much lower cost.  I've heard bad things about the stock Hypex PS.

sc

cshepherd

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 06:52:48 PM »
What kind of speakers will you be using?  Do you know what their efficiency rating is?

Chris

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 07:30:46 PM »
Von Schweikert VR-1. 89 dB @ 1W, 1m. Power is not an issue, as they can handle 8-200 W. I am staying away from tubes because I know I'd never be satisfied.

cshepherd

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 07:54:58 PM »
Von Schweikert VR-1. 89 dB @ 1W, 1m. Power is not an issue, as they can handle 8-200 W. I am staying away from tubes because I know I'd never be satisfied.

I think 100 watts would be plenty with those speakers.  Smaller amps often have a better sound than a high wattage amp in the same line.  Your speakers are efficient enough to work that in your advantage.  FWIW, our reference system is a 30 watt amp matched with 94 db speakers.

Chris

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 08:13:47 PM »
I use the Channel Islands VMB-1 monoblocks with the VR-1's.  The VMB-1's were the precurser to the D-100's, and are very similar in sound, but only 40 watts.  they're a great combo with the VR-1's.  I got mine used for $600.  if you watch audiogon, and if you're patient, every so often a pair comes up used.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 08:46:27 PM »
Jason, funny you should mention those. The friend who's buying my HCA-2 is giving up his CI blocks. He also has a pair of VR-1s. I've borrowed the amps, and actually didn't hear to much of a difference between them and the HCA-2 at low levels. At higher levels, it seemed like they were straining a bit, whereas the much more powerful HCA-2 was handling the demand with ease. Good recommendation (and you found a nice purchase price)!

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 09:11:22 PM »
Jason, funny you should mention those. The friend who's buying my HCA-2 is giving up his CI blocks. He also has a pair of VR-1s. I've borrowed the amps, and actually didn't hear to much of a difference between them and the HCA-2 at low levels. At higher levels, it seemed like they were straining a bit, whereas the much more powerful HCA-2 was handling the demand with ease. Good recommendation (and you found a nice purchase price)!

interesting.  I've never heard the VMB-1's strain, but then, I don't usually push the levels too much (my landlord lives upstairs with his 6 year old daughter).  I'll be interested to see what you end up with, though.  good luck with your search :)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 07:17:08 AM »
just a tad outside your range, and I know you didn't want tubes, but a Manley Stingray would certainly sound nice w/those Vr1s.  its a PUNCHY amp for tubes.  40wpc.
sell your preamp and then you can afford it?
:)

honestly ...I think you'll have a hard time coming up w/a significant upgrade to the HCA2 in your price range.  I'd just stay w/what you have until you can add another thousand to your range.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 07:17:29 AM »
or, buy some VR2s.
that will certainly change things around w/your setup.
:)

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 10:49:57 PM »
New from PS Audio. I guess they didn't want Bel Canto getting all of the action on the ICE power amps.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com