Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: time for a new amp  (Read 5787 times)

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
time for a new amp
« on: June 05, 2006, 12:07:10 AM »
A friend of mine is buying my PS Audio HCA-2, so I'm looking for something new in the same price range ($800, $1k max). Someone suggested the Bel Canto s300 as a similar amp in terms of both performance and price. I've found that I like the Class D amps (like the HCA-2 and the Channel Islands monoblocks), so that sounds like a good suggestion. Can anyone suggest a few others in that price range for comparison?

Thanks!
Out of the game … for now?

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
Re: time for a new amp
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 12:14:11 AM »
Some brands to check out:

Carver
Adcom (not quite up in that $$ range, but great bang for the buck)
Classe
Parasound
Mccormack
Bryston

Happy shopping!
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 12:57:13 AM »
+T for the reccomendations, Ben! Aside from the Bel Canto s300, I liked what I saw of the Parasound Halo A23 (or A21 if I can find a good enough deal), the Classe CA-2100 (but that's WAY too expensive), and the Bryston 2B SST.

I'll have to read some reviews and hear what others have to say. Perhaps I'll get a chance to demo one or more when I move into my new place next month.

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 09:32:50 AM »
Build a hypex amp.  Go to diycable.com and order the kit.  All you will need is a chassis to hook it up.  A steal at 750 for what you get.  I would estimate equivalent to probably ~2000 and up.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 09:58:36 AM »
Build a hypex amp.  Go to diycable.com and order the kit.  All you will need is a chassis to hook it up.  A steal at 750 for what you get.  I would estimate equivalent to probably ~2000 and up.

It appears to be a monoblock, so that's really $1500, which is out of my price range. Also, I consider my own labor to be a "cost."

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 06:27:36 PM »

That is the 350W, you can make the UCD400 (200W) at a much lower cost.  I've heard bad things about the stock Hypex PS.

sc

cshepherd

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 06:52:48 PM »
What kind of speakers will you be using?  Do you know what their efficiency rating is?

Chris

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 07:30:46 PM »
Von Schweikert VR-1. 89 dB @ 1W, 1m. Power is not an issue, as they can handle 8-200 W. I am staying away from tubes because I know I'd never be satisfied.

cshepherd

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 07:54:58 PM »
Von Schweikert VR-1. 89 dB @ 1W, 1m. Power is not an issue, as they can handle 8-200 W. I am staying away from tubes because I know I'd never be satisfied.

I think 100 watts would be plenty with those speakers.  Smaller amps often have a better sound than a high wattage amp in the same line.  Your speakers are efficient enough to work that in your advantage.  FWIW, our reference system is a 30 watt amp matched with 94 db speakers.

Chris

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 08:13:47 PM »
I use the Channel Islands VMB-1 monoblocks with the VR-1's.  The VMB-1's were the precurser to the D-100's, and are very similar in sound, but only 40 watts.  they're a great combo with the VR-1's.  I got mine used for $600.  if you watch audiogon, and if you're patient, every so often a pair comes up used.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 08:46:27 PM »
Jason, funny you should mention those. The friend who's buying my HCA-2 is giving up his CI blocks. He also has a pair of VR-1s. I've borrowed the amps, and actually didn't hear to much of a difference between them and the HCA-2 at low levels. At higher levels, it seemed like they were straining a bit, whereas the much more powerful HCA-2 was handling the demand with ease. Good recommendation (and you found a nice purchase price)!

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 09:11:22 PM »
Jason, funny you should mention those. The friend who's buying my HCA-2 is giving up his CI blocks. He also has a pair of VR-1s. I've borrowed the amps, and actually didn't hear to much of a difference between them and the HCA-2 at low levels. At higher levels, it seemed like they were straining a bit, whereas the much more powerful HCA-2 was handling the demand with ease. Good recommendation (and you found a nice purchase price)!

interesting.  I've never heard the VMB-1's strain, but then, I don't usually push the levels too much (my landlord lives upstairs with his 6 year old daughter).  I'll be interested to see what you end up with, though.  good luck with your search :)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 07:17:08 AM »
just a tad outside your range, and I know you didn't want tubes, but a Manley Stingray would certainly sound nice w/those Vr1s.  its a PUNCHY amp for tubes.  40wpc.
sell your preamp and then you can afford it?
:)

honestly ...I think you'll have a hard time coming up w/a significant upgrade to the HCA2 in your price range.  I'd just stay w/what you have until you can add another thousand to your range.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 07:17:29 AM »
or, buy some VR2s.
that will certainly change things around w/your setup.
:)

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 10:49:57 PM »
New from PS Audio. I guess they didn't want Bel Canto getting all of the action on the ICE power amps.

Offline stlram

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2006, 01:46:30 PM »
Your not going to get much of an improvement, and in some cases you would be down grading by selling your PSA HCA 2 and buying any of the amps mentioned.

I would keep the amp you have and wait until you can afford an upgrade. But when you can afford an upgrade you might be better off with upgrading your source or speakers before your amp, which IMO is one of the better amps in its class.

I would keep Nuforce in mind as a possible replacement. They are class D monoblocks with a small foot print but you won't find many of these on the used market since they are all they rage these days. Lots of folks are selling their $5,000 to $10,000 monsters to own the $1,800 per pair mono bolcks.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2006, 08:21:39 PM »
I already sold it. I let a friend borrow it for the year when I was in grad school and he offered to buy it at what they were going for on A'gon. I figured if I have to "re-buy," I can, but I just wanted to try something different. What do you think about the new PS Audio amp, the Trio?

Offline stlram

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2006, 11:22:36 PM »
I've never heard one.

Offline stlram

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2006, 11:26:40 PM »
Audiogon has a Classe CA 200 and a few McCormicks DNA 1 and .5 for sale. There nice amps and a good value at the asking prices.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2006, 12:54:18 AM »
Audiogon has a Classe CA 200 and a few McCormicks DNA 1 and .5 for sale. There nice amps and a good value at the asking prices.

Matt - FWIW, the amp we used for our listening session a while back was a McCormack DNA-1.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

BobW

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2006, 10:46:03 PM »
I am staying away from tubes because I know I'd never be satisfied.

A good tube amp is nothing to sneeze at.
Everyone to their own opinion, but I can't help but think that you're not listening to the right tube amps

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2006, 12:13:42 AM »
Everyone to their own opinion, but I can't help but think that you're not listening to the right tube amps

I suspect Matt means more along the lines of the fact that there're always more / different / better tubes to buy and try...and knowing so, he'll never be satisfied.  Fortunately, I don't have much spare cash at the moment, because there's always an urge to try out new tubes on my Symphonies preamp.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2006, 03:44:34 PM »
I am staying away from tubes because I know I'd never be satisfied.

just curious - in what way?

I suspect Matt means more along the lines of the fact that there're always more / different / better tubes to buy and try...and knowing so, he'll never be satisfied.  Fortunately, I don't have much spare cash at the moment, because there's always an urge to try out new tubes on my Symphonies preamp.

ahh - if that's the case then I totally understand :)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2006, 04:18:16 PM »
Yeah, Brian described it best, probably because he and I have discussed it at one time or another. I really find that I go overboard when I have too many options that are easily interchangable and end up spending too much money as a result.

As it stands, I've had to hold off on getting a new amp for the time being because I can't find a damn biomedical engineering job yet.

Offline Tim

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2006, 04:42:53 PM »
Totally understandable :)

I just wasn't sure if you meant sound wise or what....
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2006, 12:45:53 AM »
Well, I finally got a job (yes, 3 months later). Time to kick this search off yet again!

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2006, 07:11:17 AM »
stingray!!!!

Offline Tim

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2006, 10:37:47 AM »
congrats on the new job

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.168 seconds with 53 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com