Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG sd advice  (Read 5607 times)

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: AKG sd advice
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2006, 07:50:16 PM »
comparing the 480s to the blueline mics is a bit unfair.  the 480s rank among the very finest SD condenser mics available today.  they are nearly interchangeable with my DPA 4011s, and i prefer the 480s to the schoeps cmc64s i had.  while i have always liked the bluelines, the 480s offer an amazingly transparent, flat and accurate rendering of literally every source i have used them on - they are my favorite mics and i use them on every studio session.  stock 460s are indeed a nicer made mic than the blueines, but the acoustic differences between 391s and 460s are more in terms of differnt timbre, whereas the 480s are basically invisible and do not seem to color the source at all. 

I dont hear the 480 as being invisible at all.....  dont hear schoeps as invisible either. i dont think ive ever heard any mic that I would call invisble other than my mk221/c617 (mg) and my 4006TLs. the AKG 480s had a low end thump that I did not care for . the mk4 ..i can take or leave, but the mk2S and mk21... top notch.

the modded 460s sound really nice to me.

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • surly tapir
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2006, 10:37:43 PM »
i run the 460s into a bm2p+ and love it.  i have many shows into the oade dmod and those are really nice too, but he busman ua-5 was a definate upgrade... more detailed, but kept the warm analogish sound i like.

Are your 460's modded? I haven't heard many good things about unmodded 460's. It seems like most would rather just go to the 480's

mine are stock 460s, and to reinforce what has already been said, i prefer the transformer sound.  if i desire a different, faster, more transparent sound, i can still send them in for the mod.

with my playback and my tastes for analoguish warm fuzzies, i am very happy with my 460s the way they are.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

jnorman34

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2006, 11:48:26 AM »
raoul and teddy - i'm just relating my opinions based on my personal experiences with each of those mics in the studio.   YMMV, as they say...

RebelRebel

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2006, 12:01:40 PM »
raoul and teddy - i'm just relating my opinions based on my personal experiences with each of those mics in the studio.   YMMV, as they say...

no worries. I just find it remarkable that people hear things so differently! crazy stuff! I got called deaf for saying that schoeps sounded a bit "closed"..but that is what they sound like to me.

As far as AKG goes...I have to say that the 426B has to be the best mic ever. :)

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2006, 12:07:05 PM »
i prefer the transformer sound. 

that makes me miss working in a room with 5 KM84i's
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2006, 12:11:56 PM »

no worries. I just find it remarkable that people hear things so differently! crazy stuff! I got called deaf for saying that schoeps sounded a bit "closed"..but that is what they sound like to me.

As far as AKG goes...I have to say that the 426B has to be the best mic ever. :)

I have similar feelings towards Schoeps. Never have been a big fan. Don't get me wrong, I have heard some amazing tapes with them, but something about their sound I don't dig, and I cannot put my finger on what it is exactly.

Been VERY happy with my 460's since I bought them over 2 years ago..

with that said, I dont think there is any comparison between the 300's and the 460/480 lines. to me the 300's sound very colored. And again, same with the Schoeps, I've heard some amazing tapes done with them..

I guess it all comes down to preference. What you want to hear/can hear. which all goes down to preamps/ad combos, room sound, the mix, your playback, etc..etc..

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com