Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: LC3KA lemo connector mod?  (Read 7529 times)

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
LC3KA lemo connector mod?
« on: May 14, 2007, 08:28:40 PM »
I read that Neumann USA will mods the new style cable with a lemo connector for use with the Lemosax.

What is a good length (possible stealthing but also practical in terms of the connection location) and what are people experiences with this mod?  Any troubles with the connection?

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
Re: LC3KA lemo connector mod?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 02:05:53 PM »
I read that Neumann USA will mods the new style cable with a lemo connector for use with the Lemosax.

What is a good length (possible stealthing but also practical in terms of the connection location) and what are people experiences with this mod?  Any troubles with the connection?

Sorry to reply to an old thread, but if this is still an open question, I'd personally suggest 2.5 meters.  I had my Schoeps KC5 5-meter cables split in half with lemo connectors, and I find that 2 meters is about the right amount of cable to run from hat to recorder.  The extra 1/2 meter is nice for running on a short stand at around head height at seated venues.  Have them put the corresponding gender lemo connectors on the other section of cable, and you've got a very flexible setup.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline PG

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 02:12:15 PM »
I sent cables in and they told me that they would not do a custom mod for lemo adapters. "Neumann doesn't make custom cables" was the response.

Offline JasonR

• Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 02:22:17 PM »
I sent cables in and they told me that they would not do a custom mod for lemo adapters. "Neumann doesn't make custom cables" was the response.

Bummer.  It shouldn't be *that* hard a DIY job.  There's no circuitry in the connector, but those 3-pin connectors are kind of cramped.  Alternatively, I'm trying to get in touch with Bill at Cinemasonics about a repair, and he's the guy who modded my KC5 cables.  I'll ask if he's available to do this kind of work.  His fees were very reasonable.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10

Offline JasonR

• Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 02:23:20 PM »
Or ask Nick - he's doing cable work now, right?

- Jason

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 03:06:01 PM »
Back when I had a friend named Marc Kim, he used to tell me about someone in New England that worked for Sennheiser and did custom work on Neumann cables. I guess Sennheiser has a relationship with Neumann USA or something but I'm not 100% sure.

Offline PG

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 03:43:17 PM »
Back when I had a friend named Marc Kim, he used to tell me about someone in New England that worked for Sennheiser and did custom work on Neumann cables. I guess Sennheiser has a relationship with Neumann USA or something but I'm not 100% sure.

Yes, I sent them to Sennheiser in CT for a repair and inquired about a lemo mod which they declined. Maybe if you know someone personally there they would make an exception, who knows.

Offline JasonR

• Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 06:19:48 PM »
I know I posted these pics a long while back, but in case they help at all, here they are again.  These are 5m cables cut in half with Lemo connectors added at the 2.5m mark, and at the 'body' end.  I have the appropriate lemo connectors on the stubby body connectors, so when assembled, they're just like original KC5 cables, but with a few connectors in the chain.  I've never had a problem with them.

I'd ask around... anyone good with soldering small connectors could do this work.  Schoeps cables used to come with Lemo connectors too, at least until sometime in the early 80s I believe.  Someone like Jerry Bruck at Posthorn could probably do this job, or if not, guide you to someone who can.

- Jason

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Team Canada
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 06:27:55 PM »
I know I posted these pics a long while back, but in case they help at all, here they are again.  These are 5m cables cut in half with Lemo connectors added at the 2.5m mark, and at the 'body' end.  I have the appropriate lemo connectors on the stubby body connectors, so when assembled, they're just like original KC5 cables, but with a few connectors in the chain.  I've never had a problem with them.

I'd ask around... anyone good with soldering small connectors could do this work.  Schoeps cables used to come with Lemo connectors too, at least until sometime in the early 80s I believe.  Someone like Jerry Bruck at Posthorn could probably do this job, or if not, guide you to someone who can.

- Jason

Jason, where can you buy those LEMO connectors? And do you know the part # for the female end?

Offline JasonR

• Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 08:52:22 PM »
Jason, where can you buy those LEMO connectors? And do you know the part # for the female end?

Lemo's website is http://www.lemo.com
The model FFA.0S is the one you want to put on the cable to plug into the Lemosax.
The other gender, useful if you want to build extensions, is PCA.0S

I believe these are both also available in a right-angle version which maybe worth checking out depending on your preferences.  Google the part numbers and you'll find several dealers, or contact Lemo and ask them.  Searching for these part numbers on Lemo's website shows the details, and confirms that I'm reading the part numbers off the shell correctly.

Good luck!

- Jason

Offline JasonR

• Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 08:54:33 PM »
Oh - and I spoke with Bill Drucklieb at Cinemasonics today.  He's still available to do this kind of work.  Drop him an email and tell him what you have in mind.  His work is absolutely top notch, and he's a nice guy to boot.  http://www.cinemasonics.com/  Feel free to drop my name - probably makes no difference, but at least he'll know why he's getting this unusual active cable request.  ;)

...just a happy customer...

- Jason

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 09:20:25 PM »
I started all this DIY thread on info for the mod on the LC3 cables....then I got some LC3 cables:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,86755.0.html

Contains part numbers and pin assignments....

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 09:22:00 PM »
Is there any db loss when adding the lemo connectors to the KC5?
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 12:22:21 AM »
campbrs, you appear to be asking a Schoeps question in a Neumann thread, but the answer is "no." Schoeps active cables run at relatively low impedance, so there is no discernable loss at the juncture of a Lemo-equipped cable and an adapter with a Lemo socket, such as the Schoeps ALC 0 accessory that can be attached to a CMC amplifier or for that matter, the input of a "LemoSax" preamp.

Strictly speaking Neumann's extension cables for their KM 100 series aren't "active" since the first FET stage is in their "active capsules" (AK 40, etc.), but the circuitry still runs at a relatively low impedance. If that were not so, it could be prone to hum and RFI pickup as well as high-frequency losses.

At the time Neumann introduced their KM 100 series--including the extension cables, goosenecks and other accessories that can go between the capsule and amplifier--the Schoeps patent on active accessories was still in force. To their credit, Neumann honored that patent by approaching the problem in an original way. Other manufacturers have not been so honorable, unfortunately.

--best regards
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 12:25:45 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 09:30:28 AM »
+T DSatz for the clarification.

BTW - Is the ALC 0 the same pinout as the LemoSAX?

+T Jason for the pics and information

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com