Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mastering Audio - Need help and input  (Read 2802 times)

Offline ~sin213~

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Kaizoku!
Mastering Audio - Need help and input
« on: June 29, 2007, 08:20:21 PM »
I have been taping for a little bit now and have started looking into audio mastering, so I will be able to edit and master my own shows.

I have a question though...what do you use to listen to the file when mastering?  Do you use your computer speakers, headphones, keep burning copies and listening to it on your home stereo?

The reason I ask is because I was "mastering" a file thru wavelab and had it sounding perfect on my computer speakers...but when I listened to it in my car and on my home stereo it sounded horrible.  But then when I messed with it all over again setting it for my bigger speakers, it didn't sound as bad, but didn't sound good either when played on my computer speakers and headphones.

How do you get that "perfect balance" of sound?

tech info (not sure if all this is needed, but just in case):
16/44.1 audio source - recorded with pair of AT853 mics, into 3wire CA bb/preamp, out to RH10 HiMD, transfered via USB in SonicStage to WAV file on computer harddrive
Wavelab 5
using q10 equalizer, c1 classic compressor w/ threshold @ around -11 to -12.5, and l1-ultramaximizer on 16bit final mastering
playing on JBL pro computer speakers, Phillips Turbo-bass headphones and a variety of speakers meshed into a decent home theatre.
#1 - MM-HLSC-1 > MM-MBM > R09
#2 - AT853 > CA9100 3wire Preamp/BattBox > R09

Coachella 06, 07, 08
Lollapalooza 95, 96, 97, 03, 08

Upcoming Shows
9/3 - Ice Cube | 9/8 - The Toadies | 9/22 - Beck |9/23 - My Morning Jacket | 9/27 - Edgefest (Gogol!) | 10/11 - The Bakerton Group | 10/14 - The Roots | 11/28 - Dir en Grey | 11/29 - Soulfly & Cavelera Conspiracy | 12/13 - NIN (Vegas)

Drive Out The Bush Regime!
For more info on how you can get involved, plz visit:
http://www.worldcantwait.net

stirinthesauce

Re: Mastering Audio - Need help and input
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 09:00:52 PM »
You first need an accurate pair of near field monitors anytime you do any mastering to your files.  You cannot accurately hear what is there with typical computer speakers. 

Once you have your near fields, then mix, then listen on your home and in your car.  It will all sound different but the near fields will not lie as to what you really have.

Offline ~sin213~

• Taperssection Regular
  • Kaizoku!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 09:21:28 PM »
You first need an accurate pair of near field monitors anytime you do any mastering to your files.  You cannot accurately hear what is there with typical computer speakers. 

Once you have your near fields, then mix, then listen on your home and in your car.  It will all sound different but the near fields will not lie as to what you really have.

Thanx...I figured the best solution would be the purchase of some monitors, but didn't want to go that far quite yet.
Is there another way to do the same thing, like meters or graphs that could be monitored for a certain response?  Like most people here, my "hobby" is becoming pretty expensive and wanted to stay away from a $400 or so purchase...  ::)

Coachella 06, 07, 08

Upcoming Shows
9/3 - Ice Cube | 9/8 - The Toadies | 9/22 - Beck |9/23 - My Morning Jacket | 9/27 - Edgefest (Gogol!) | 10/11 - The Bakerton Group | 10/14 - The Roots | 11/28 - Dir en Grey | 11/29 - Soulfly & Cavelera Conspiracy | 12/13 - NIN (Vegas)

stirinthesauce

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 09:34:42 PM »

Thanx...I figured the best solution would be the purchase of some monitors, but didn't want to go that far quite yet.
Is there another way to do the same thing, like meters or graphs that could be monitored for a certain response?  Like most people here, my "hobby" is becoming pretty expensive and wanted to stay away from a $400 or so purchase...  ::)

buy used

I paid $250 for my near fields

Offline oscoastierob

• Taperssection Member
  • Go tape SLM
    • oscoastierob's facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 01:57:12 AM »
shure e-5 in ear monitors, I know they're not the best thing to use but they save space on my desk..
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 02:09:21 AM by oscoastierob »
Peluso CEMC-6 /CK2, CK4, CK21, CK41-> Hydra Silver XLRs-> XTC silver interconnects-> UA-5 BM2p+ mod-> SPDIF-> R4

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 08:51:30 AM »
i would suggest to use a pair of good headphones for audio mastering, especially when first starting out. when you think you have the mix right with the cans, pipe the music thru nearfields to see if it translates ok, and use those nearfields to give any final tweaks. use modest volume, no need to crank it...if it sounds good at low volume, then it will sound good louder.

use a good soundcard/audio-interface if you arent already. do not use the stock audio output on your laptop or cpu. it will make a difference.

and remember....mastering is subjective...what sounds good to you may not sound good to me. i really dont think anyone is 100% satisfied with thier mixes, at least i know i am usually not, but getting it into that "zone" is what it is all about

have fun
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline ~sin213~

• Taperssection Regular
  • Kaizoku!
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 12:06:14 PM »
great suggestions!  all of them!  that is why I love this site so much!

thanx!

Coachella 06, 07, 08

Upcoming Shows

Offline powermonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 01:51:21 PM »
As someone who's only just started to scratch the surface when it comes to taping, I'm beginning to worry about this place. Every time I log on here I end up increasing the list of equipment I need to make my recordings sound better! That can't be good for the overdraft!

:o

Seriously, though, the more I find out how much thought and care goes into the taped shows I've been downloading over the years, the more respect I get for the tapers.
Church Audio CA-11s, CA-14 Cards, CA-14 Omnis, Peluso CEMC-6

CA 9200 preamp
FEL BMA-1 Preamp

Edirol R09
Edirol R09HR
Sony M10
Edirol R44

My live recordings.... HERE:

https://www.facebook.com/Liverecordings1

and/or

https://soundcloud.com/liverecordings-1

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.196 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com