Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: the deck i've *always wanted*  (Read 6190 times)

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: the deck i've *always wanted*
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 03:41:10 AM »
Wow, NP, I sure hope you get it.  I read the puff piece on it and have no idea what the hell they are talking about.

Someone please explain: "Adaptive Time Filtering (ATF) asynchronous upsampling technology converting 16-bit 44.1 kHz CD data to 24-bit 384 kHz."

And a little tougher is this one: "New virtual earth balanced Bessel anti-aliasing filters with minimum phase and constant group delay."  I like "earth balanced."  It sounds pretty authorative.  Kind of like you are a jerk if you ask.  But what does it mean??

"The 740C is the first CD player at the price to provide upsampling technology, a benefit normally bestowed upon products costing up to six times as much."  We used to say, " . . . the technology is used in . . . "  Bestowed upon!  Wow!  These guys are hot.

I spent a bit more than a thousand back in '83 or '84 on a ReVox CD player.  In a double blind test over Stax Lambda Pro 4 "ear speakers", LOL, it sounded a shade better than the Nakamichi.  And as it was Swiss, they machined the whole thing out of tool steel, even the plastic!  OK, it still runs.  Do I use it?  Nahh.  It does not play MP3 files.  And say what you will, when I tape a show of two or three hours it is kind of nice to have it all on one CD.  And, I can play WAV files on the same player, and DVD's and so on.  I suppose I should dig out the ReVox just to listen to it.

Anyway, good luck with the earth balanced, upsampled CD player.  Cambridge has made some good stuff over the years and I am sure that this is better than what those clowns in marketing are trumpeting about.

L8R
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline shane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 11:19:05 AM »
If it makes any differnce to you in the new issue of The Absolute Sound they call the Cambridge Audio Azur 840c the the best cd playback under 5k.  Its preice tag is $1500.  I know you looking at the 740 but this review make lend to the fact that maybe Cambridge Audio is doing something better than everybody else.

Shane

cshepherd

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 12:33:42 PM »
Best player under $5k?  From Cambridge?  That's a pretty strong statement from Absolute Sound.  Did they compare it either of the Rega cd players?

Chris

Offline shane

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2007, 01:35:54 PM »
That's what they say.  I too think its quite a bold statement especially considering that they just reviewed and didn't necesarily compare it gainst other players.  I wish the Rega players did SACD.  I've heard that their playback is like none other in terms of sound.  Truly original players in terms of what's inside.

Shane

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2007, 02:40:24 PM »
the guy in stereophile was saying how is rega planet hit the shelf after the 740c came into his house.
I thought that was compelling.

any way..I freakin want one.
dont need the balanced output of the 840 though.

cshepherd

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2007, 03:34:23 PM »
the guy in stereophile was saying how is rega planet hit the shelf after the 740c came into his house.
I thought that was compelling.

any way..I freakin want one.
dont need the balanced output of the 840 though.

The Planet was Rega's first cd player, introduced in 1997.  It's a little bright if you've heard better, but it was extremely popular in the late 90's. The Planet was my main player until 2004, except for the two years it was used as the main player in our old record store.  To say it's better than the Planet is a compliment, but the Planet's 10 years old now.

That's what they say.  I too think its quite a bold statement especially considering that they just reviewed and didn't necesarily compare it against other players.  I wish the Rega players did SACD.  I've heard that their playback is like none other in terms of sound.  Truly original players in terms of what's inside.
Shane

I would have to declare shenanigans on Absolute Sound.  A "Best player under $5000" statement without naming names is without merit.  Heck, there's only a handful of cd players made that cost more than $5000.  They should have just called it one of the best cd players in the world for $1500.

Chris

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2007, 07:21:21 AM »
still...you want one now, dont you?:
good marketing.

cshepherd

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2007, 12:42:57 PM »
still...you want one now, dont you?:
good marketing.

I need another cd player like I need another hole in my head.  I've got two Exposure cd players I'm trying to unload on eBay at the moment.  I'm finally getting a bid on one now that it's 20% under the wholesale price.   :-\.   Have you considered picking up a used Rega Apollo?  They can be had for around $700.

Chris

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2007, 02:18:48 PM »
Have you considered picking up a used Rega Apollo?

That's my plan. I usually take about a year to decide on my plan, and then another year to pull the trigger. Since I've been thinking of the Apollo for about 6 months now, I should actually be enjoying it in about 18 months!
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2007, 03:41:49 PM »
always on the top of my list....
but my needs for digital include the following:

redbook
DVD-A
SACD (analog output of the deck)
and a way to get at my large NAT collection on the LAN, which typically would be some outboard DAC.
this box does almost all of it.  and if I had to kill something, its SACD off that list.  DVD-A is inconsequential to me as I can just listen to stuff on the network.

cshepherd

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2007, 04:27:44 PM »
Nick,
I'm a little surprised you don't have a Squeezebox for wireless music.  That seems right up your alley.

Chris 

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2007, 06:11:39 PM »
I know.
but what I do have is laptop for a remote, a desktop w/a 24/96 digital output, and a real nice toslink cable.
it does the same thing (as far as transport goes), i already own it, and it wont cost me another chunk of money.

I'll still get one, I'm really impressed with Janka's.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com