Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT822 Opinions  (Read 5886 times)

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
Re: AT822 Opinions
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 07:31:27 PM »
Consider the Rode NT4... my frequent taping partner has one, and it pulls some nice tapes. And it runs on batteries.  I think they usually go for more than this price range, but you might find one on ebay or something...
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

datgirl333

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2007, 07:01:16 AM »
Another round of T's! Thanks for all the advice and the samples.  If I were to get the AT822, what sort of placement advice can you offer? i.e. how "close" is "close"? I'm thinking that if I were to draw a line from the mic to the outside of each of the stacks that they should form a 90 degree angle at the mic. Does this sound like where I'd want to be? I assume placement of the Nady would be the same?

I just want to be sure that it's practical for me to get into the required position for a good recording with these mics before I pull the trigger.

IMHO the mic placement you describe is a good rule of thumb, but I haven't found the Nady to be too terribly fussy with regards to placement.  I think the AT822, AT825 and the Nady are marketed as external mics for videographers; so they should be pretty flexible for that purpose.  The times I've used the Nady (ARU & DTB 5/9; Marty Stuart 7/27; Col Bruce Hampton & Quark Alliance 7/28) were all outdoors, ~30-40' from the stage for all except CBH & QA*, and got good results.

If you're interested in a sample CD from my ARU & DTB 5/9 for comparison purposes (there must be more than one version of these sets available for dl somewhere recorded with superior quality mics--there were a few in the section that evening), PM me your mailing address and I'll burn ya one.

*Had to run about 100 YARDS from the stage for Col Bruce (long story); needed some help from Audacity afterwards, but got a surprisingly listenable pull. 

Offline attheshow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2007, 12:09:46 PM »
Speaking of mics that are designed for video use... what about the Rode VideoMic? Does anyone use that for audio-only taping? Is it in the same league as the others mentioned here?
Mics: MM-HLSC-1, ECM-737, ECM-719
Recorders: R09, MZ-RH1, MZ-R70, MBP
BBox: Greenmachine DIY, CA-UBB (on the way!)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com