Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: tubes and the electric bill  (Read 7079 times)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: tubes and the electric bill
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 07:51:44 PM »
I wonder what it would be then?

Her hair dryer.  Always blame the hair dyer.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline cheshirecat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 10:27:03 PM »
It may actually be the heat that the thing throws causes you to need more AC to take that heat out of the air... double whammy of tube amps.

Actually with that said, a dynaco st-70 which has basically the same tube compliment has a 2A fuse meaning it can't draw more that ~240W... that along with the plasma TV puts out a lot of heat in my apt.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 06:59:36 PM »
found another free tweak, playing with speaker placement :)

I think I finally found the sweet spot in my new place today.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 07:39:52 PM »
damn. i would love to have an electric bill of only $51. mine are usually double to triple. you must not be home much.  :P
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 07:57:03 AM »
found another free tweak, playing with speaker placement :)

I think I finally found the sweet spot in my new place today.

Using the alternate taps on your output transformers and working on speaker placement are definitely not tweaks, they're fundamentals!

A tweak is when you put holographic foil under your toilet seat in an attempt to improve the sound of your listening room.   :P 

This is also a tweak, not to mention the authors themselves must have been tweaking when they wrote this:
http://www.belt.demon.co.uk/product/odl/One_Drop_Liquid.html

Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

Offline Tim

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007, 11:15:24 AM »
Oh I know, I constantly played in my old place. Just finally had some time to really mess around in my new place.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

janka

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2007, 11:06:44 AM »

Janka - I've been leaving my amp on more lately. It takes 20+ to really warm up so I turn it on mid-morning and shut it off in the evening.

I got my new elec bill and didn't notice any drastic increase. So it's staying on like the manufacturer recommends. They claim hours/days for everything to reach it's full potential. When I first got it (used) I noticed a pretty big difference over the first week it was left on. I usually get in at least three hours of listening a day, rainy weekends much more. Basically, if I'm home there is music playing. If it wasn't for the daily use I'd feel guilty leaving it always powered up.

Offline JoeKiller

• Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2007, 11:35:18 AM »
Global warming be damned, I'll run my shit all I want.  usually my bill runs in the summer around $180-$200 and that is with energy conservation!  Of course, my rate is like 12.5 per kw/h.  Oh yeah and I'm joking about the global stuff, my power is 100% wind  ;)
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

Offline taosmay

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2007, 07:48:19 PM »
damn. i would love to have an electric bill of only $51. mine are usually double to triple. you must not be home much.  :P

FWIW, my electric "bill" is $0, every month, every year, and I am home every evening and on weekends, but thats typical when you get all your power from the sun, while living completely off-grid...

Harold in Taos, NM
Beyerdynamic MC930's > GAKables > OCM Marantz PMD661
CA 14 cardioid mic's/CA 11 croakie mic's > CA-9200 > Edirol R-09HR

Offline Stagger

• Taperssection Member
  • Yep I'm selling my 722-Wife always wins in the end
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2007, 08:11:41 PM »

FWIW, my electric "bill" is $0, every month, every year, and I am home every evening and on weekends, but thats typical when you get all your power from the sun, while living completely off-grid...

Harold in Taos, NM

I have a feeling thatwould not work so well in Chicago, Il /sigh
Selling: SD 722
Current Setup: AKG c34 > S42 > Kimber Hero > DR-680

Nikon D7000, SB-700, Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6, Nikkor 50 f1.8D, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, and way too many do-dads to list...

Playback: Denon DVD3910>Audio Experiences Symphonies Tube Pre [Electro-Harmonix/12AX7 Gold Pin ]>Rogue 88 Amplifier [Genalex Gold Lion KT88s, ultralinear]>Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home & Martin Logan Depth i - AudioQuest Jaguar and CV-8 DBS cable, Panamax M7500Pro conditioner.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com