Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: in market for new playback system- q's on oppo, squeezebox, etc  (Read 8326 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
in market for new playback system- q's on oppo, squeezebox, etc
« on: November 03, 2007, 02:19:57 AM »
hi peeps,
 as i sit here listening to some good ol' grateful dead thru my htpc>kernel streaming>chaintech>dac1>new dynaudio bm5a's (that I'm lovin'), im perusing the web about playback options. My current htpc is one i built in 03 to be able to play back my 24-bit recordings. It works well, i use girder ir remote software to load playlists into winamp, i can put in a dvd with 4 shows and press 1,2,3 or 4 on my remote and play it in winamp, no other interface necesarry.

However, I'm building a new 4.5TB raid6 storage server, and would love an easy way to pipe the music into my living room.

The squeezebox sounds good for this, but i would love if it could support 24/96, as all my masters these day are 24/96. But in reality, 99+% of my music collection is 16 bit, so i could be ok with having to use my htpc to play 24/96 (i just dont really need another computer running 24/7, even tho it is silent pc, it still dents my electric bill im sure. so heres my questions:

1. can somebody describe the difference between squeezebox 1,2, and 3? i see used older models on ebay for cheaper. I will be using wired lan, i dont need wireless g or any wireless for that matter. Really, 24-bit support is not critical (since the SB3 cant do 24/96, and i'd need a separate solution for that anyway).

what would be a good choice for an all-in-one dvd/cd player that can do the following:
-redbook cd>unresampled spdif out
-24/96 dvd-a>unresampled spdif out
-decent dvd-v playback quality

I've read nick's threads about the oppo, seems its limited to 16-bit, so can the denon players mentioned here do 24/96 unresampled spdif out? its kind of critical for me, as i will have the squeezebox for all the 16-bit stuff, and audio playback on this. a single player that would replace my current dvd player and handle 24/96 would be ideal, as i dont want a ton of components cluttering up under my TV.

I'm also open to newer-gen htpc builds, like myth tv, etc. somehting with a super easy interface. I'm sure theres a linux build out there that runs with a lite footprint on the epia board i have and smokes the current solutions for formats and usability.

PS. 5/18/77 Lazy lightning = melting my brain
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: in market for new playback system- q's on oppo, squeezebox, etc
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 02:25:59 AM »
Try the Slim Devices Transporter???  methinks its 24/96...

T
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 02:37:28 AM »
$2k is a little out of my budget!

I think i'm gonna play with minimyth:

http://linpvr.org/minimyth/index.shtml

i already have the epia-based htpc, this is a free option, i like that

Try the Slim Devices Transporter???  methinks its 24/96...

T
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 07:37:41 AM »
The Squeezebox 3 does do 24/96, but it downsamples that to 24/48. FWIW, the SB3 changed the way I listen to music. I highly recommend it.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 10:21:05 AM »
love the sb3.   Love slim server even more though.  I love its streaming features.

Although I haven't used it, I've heard there's an archive.org plugin for slim server that allows you to search archive.org on the squeezebox.   You can also download playlists from archive.org and store them in the server, navigate to them, and listen to whatever is in the playlist over the sb3.  There's a huge amount of stuff that slim server does that I haven't even tried yet.

I bet the interface is probably the same between the models.  The difference between models is probably in the hardware.   If the older ones don't have the burr/brown, then I'd highly recommend spending the scratch and getting the 3.   that dac is where its at (for the money).  I have mine connected directly to the integrated amp, and I think the sound is really good.  I think sb3 is worth every penny I spent.  I woulda paid more for it and still been happy as hell, honestly.   Its tite.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 10:26:13 AM by anonymous TS.com poster »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 11:28:24 AM »
Squeezebox rules... I bought my first one (slimp3) around 2000.

sb2 & sb3 are basically the same.. just a different form factor.

They seem to hold their value surprisingly well.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 03:01:33 PM »
ok, I dont need a good dac, i have a dac-1. what about the squeezebox 1?

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 03:30:43 PM »
so can the denon players mentioned here do 24/96 unresampled spdif out? its kind of critical for me, as i will have the squeezebox for all the 16-bit stuff, and audio playback on this. a single player that would replace my current dvd player and handle 24/96 would be ideal, as i dont want a ton of components cluttering up under my TV.

I have a Denon 2200.  it's an older model, but it definitely does unresampled 24/96 S/PDIF output, which I have verified.  I'm 99% that the newer Denon models also ouput unresampled 24/96 via S/PDIF

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 05:00:22 PM »
so i would need to go 24/96 wav> audiofile> dvd-v to playback using this unit? or buy dvd-a authoring software?

so can the denon players mentioned here do 24/96 unresampled spdif out? its kind of critical for me, as i will have the squeezebox for all the 16-bit stuff, and audio playback on this. a single player that would replace my current dvd player and handle 24/96 would be ideal, as i dont want a ton of components cluttering up under my TV.

I have a Denon 2200.  it's an older model, but it definitely does unresampled 24/96 S/PDIF output, which I have verified.  I'm 99% that the newer Denon models also ouput unresampled 24/96 via S/PDIF

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 05:14:27 PM »
so i would need to go 24/96 wav> audiofile> dvd-v to playback using this unit? or buy dvd-a authoring software?

well, the Denon's will output 24/96 with either DVD-Audio or DVD-Video discs.  There is free open source software to create either.  Personally, I usually make DVD-A's.  the Audiofile program, which you reference, creates DVD-Audio discs.  (well, actually it just creates DVD-Audio disc images.  you need to burn the .ISO file with another program, ImgBurn, nero, whatever).

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 06:05:36 PM »
i assume audiofile retainss all tracking, but it wouldnt provide for any tagging or titling, right?

so any of the denon 22xx or 29xx series should work?

whats  a good price on these. theres a refurb 2910 on ebay with warranty for like $300. what about the older 19xx series. They play dvd-a, have an optical out, and are under $100 used? anybody used these?

well, the Denon's will output 24/96 with either DVD-Audio or DVD-Video discs.  There is free open source software to create either.  Personally, I usually make DVD-A's.  the Audiofile program, which you reference, creates DVD-Audio discs.  (well, actually it just creates DVD-Audio disc images.  you need to burn the .ISO file with another program, ImgBurn, nero, whatever).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 06:49:42 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 10:04:33 AM »
ok, I dont need a good dac, i have a dac-1. what about the squeezebox 1?

I have an SB2, and yes they are about the same as the SB3, i think there was a minor HW change other than for factor, but it eludes me at the moment.

The SB1 is a little different, my bro has one.  I believe the internals are a bit differnt, and the display is individual text characters instead of the array that is in the SB2 or 3 (there was an upgrade offered that would turn the display into that of the SB2 as well FWIW).  Again, I believe there are some internals that are different and I would limit my search to the SB2 and SB3.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline spott

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 07:08:02 PM »
There's an article on Lifehacker today about the squeezebox... thought it was worth a read

http://lifehacker.com/software/technophilia/stream-digital-music-to-your-stereo-with-squeezebox-318049.php

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 07:18:32 AM »
my suggestions...
SB for sure. sounds like the SB2 is all you need, but no harm in buying new for unforseen needs.

stop mastering at 96kHz.

problem solved as far as transport issues.  no deck required.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 04:46:02 PM »
yeah, maybe I'll just start mastering in 16/44 or mp3, to further reduce my hardware requirements ::sigh::

my suggestions...
SB for sure. sounds like the SB2 is all you need, but no harm in buying new for unforseen needs.

stop mastering at 96kHz.

problem solved as far as transport issues.  no deck required.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com