Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Headphones for travel....  (Read 7924 times)

Offline save

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
Headphones for travel....
« on: December 12, 2007, 11:30:40 PM »
I'm going on vacation soon and I am looking for some set of headphones for my ipod, the ones that came with it aren't gonna cut it.  I will be flying so noise canceling would be best.  Any suggestions would be great....fyi i'm not looking at spending an arm and leg since it's just for my ipod and everything on there is mp3 anyways.

Thanks,
justin
save

Offline rdfager

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Headphones for travel....
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 02:38:12 AM »
I fly a lot for work and have tried several different type of headphones.  My advice is to stay away from the active noise canceling headphones and go for some of the in ear isolating headphones.  They do a much better job of noise reduction, sound better, don't require batteries, are much smaller and easier to carry.

I've got a pair of the Bose Active Comfort headphones.  They sit at home in a drawer.  My Etymotic ER-4Ps go everywhere with me now.  If you're not looking to spend that much money check out the Sure earphones.  You can get the E2c for about $65 and they sound quite good.

Anyone who tells you that these headphones don't sound good isn't inserting them correctly.  They need to go way inside your ear to sound right.
Josephson c42mp & Avenson STO-2 > Busman Tmod R4

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 09:20:50 AM »
I like my Etymotic ER-6 a lot.  Sound good, attenuate external noise, comfortable, easy to carry, won't break the bank.  Bonus:  with a rubber adapter ring, they also fit into my custom musicians' earplugs as a replacement for the Etymotic ER-9/15/25 filters.  Nothing's more comfortable than custom-molded earplugs + my ER-6 earphones.  But even stock, I like the ER-6.  Note the ER-6 are different from the ER-6i, which are not compatible with custom molds.  The ER-6 cost ~$75.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 09:50:47 AM »
I like my Etymotic ER-6 a lot.  Sound good, attenuate external noise, comfortable, easy to carry, won't break the bank.  Bonus:  with a rubber adapter ring, they also fit into my custom musicians' earplugs as a replacement for the Etymotic ER-9/15/25 filters.  Nothing's more comfortable than custom-molded earplugs + my ER-6 earphones.  But even stock, I like the ER-6.  Note the ER-6 are different from the ER-6i, which are not compatible with custom molds.  The ER-6 cost ~$75.

Same here.

Offline newscane

• Taperssection Member
    • somuchtosay.net
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 08:28:08 PM »
Another vote for in-ear isolators vs. noise cancelling.  My earphones of choice are the Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 studio.  Can be had from headphone.com for $79 or so (if you get clear, I think other colors are less).
Current rig: Avantone CK-1 > UA-5 > DR-100mk11
Retired: JB3

My (DMB) shows: http://www.dmbexchange.com/list.php?user=newscane
My website: http://www.somuchtosay.net

Offline evilchris

• Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 12:25:44 AM »
Sennheiser HD-280 Pro, IMO.

$100, good isolation, decent sound.  Might need a headphone amp if you want to really crank it up, though.
nothing > nada > R-09

Offline BlackCrowe

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 02:24:16 AM »
Well...when it comes down to earphones I still haven`t found any better (and better looking) than the Bang and Olufsen A8...

http://www.amazon.com/Bang-Olufsen-Earphones/dp/B000QW70AK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1197533690&sr=8-3

Not exactly cheap but I`m still to find and hear better earphones...I heavily use them for years now and they are still like new, never had a problem.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 07:37:13 AM »
$20
Sennheiser HD201
full sized , closed headphone.  excellent sound.  very excellent, in fact.
and for the $$$, who cares if you break them.
http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/sealed-and-noise-canceling/sennheiser-hd-201.php
of the dozen or so sets of cans i've owned, I thought these were the best sounding (for real), of anything I spent <$150 on.
I currently run Beyer DT231s, and dont really like them at all.  the Senns were better all around, IMO.

from headroom:
Our jaws hit the ground when we first heard this headphone. You have to understand just how bad cheap, sealed, full-size cans normally sound but, somehow, Sennheiser got it amazingly right with the sonics of the VERY inexpensive HD201 headphones. No question they are uneven-sounding in spots, but they just sparkle and sing in an unusually clean way for a headphone at this crushingly low pricepoint

for 2x the price, these probably sound better as they are easier to drive w/consumer devices.
http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/sealed-and-noise-canceling/sennheiser-hd-205.php
I might have to pick up a pair of these myself.  I miss my 201s that much.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 07:41:53 AM by Nick's Picks »

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 03:18:28 PM »
Shures, etytomics...your choice.  Check out headphone.com for a complete line up.  Also check buy.com for shures and etytomics and see if they have any sales going on.

I would not recommend closed, on the ear or over the ear headphones.  They simply will not cut it for blocking our noise in an airplane. 

SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 12:08:43 AM »
Audio Technica ATH-CK7

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 10:31:50 AM »
Another vote for in-ear isolators vs. noise cancelling.  My earphones of choice are the Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 studio.  Can be had from headphone.com for $79 or so (if you get clear, I think other colors are less).

In-ear canal are the way to go.

I use the super.fi 3 at home also. Very natural sounding. In fact, I can do a lot of work with them and just use loudspeakers for making final eq adjustments.

I have tried them on the plane and I found that the airplane noise considerably changes my perception of frequencies. I preferred to adjust my eq to boost the low end a lot more and gradually roll off the mids and highs to make it sound right to me. I figure that the super.fi 5 with extended bass might work out a bit better for the plane.

Another thing to look for with these is to get a brand with user replaceable cables. The super.fi have a connector that can detach from the earphone. You don't want to have to buy another set just because you snagged the cable on something. You just order a replacement cable.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 10:37:52 AM by live2496 »
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 11:20:28 AM »
ecost has the super.fi 3 in red for 49.99 and in white for 52.99
http://search.ecost.com/?i=1&q=super-fi&submit1=find&u1=q

AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 11:53:00 AM »
Another thing to look for with these is to get a brand with user replaceable cables. The super.fi have a connector that can detach from the earphone. You don't want to have to buy another set just because you snagged the cable on something. You just order a replacement cable.

While I've not had cable issues with my Etymotic ER-6, I wanted to go with the super.fi for this very reason.  I know I'll eventually have cable issues with my ER-6, as I've had eventually with every other pair of headphones I've ever owned.  Unfortunately, the super.fi won't fit my custom molded earplugs, so they were a no-go for me.  But if you don't plan on using custom molded earplugs, and the super.fi sound as good as everyone suggests, the detachable cable's a great additional feature.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 04:08:46 PM »
I have the super.fi 3 and love them.  The super.fi 5 pro (not the Extra Bass model-EB) is cheap now also.... $130ish with dual armatures vs. the single armature of the s.f 3.

Joe

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 05:32:53 PM »
for in ears...
hard to beat any of the ones mentioned.  i've never heard a bad one.  of the entry level models ive used, I like the Ety's ER6 and the M-Audio IE-10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com