Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rode NT4 + DIY pistol grip  (Read 3055 times)

Offline Eigenklang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Rode NT4 + DIY pistol grip
« on: January 06, 2008, 02:11:52 PM »
Hi

I just wanted to show you what happens when bad weather comes into play :D

I have built a pistol grip for my NT4 by using:

-the original rode shockmount
-some old camera accessories
-some aluminium trash

First, I removed the hinge of the Shockmount (SM). Then I made two aluminium distance bolts for mounting the SM to the rail. Some unnecessary straps were removed and then I added some kind of bipod, also made of aluminium and old photograph equipment.

The main advantage of using this old grip is that it is very stable AND collapsible. It is NOS and did cost me 8 Euros... the new Hama plastic trash would have been € 26!!  8)

Next things to do when the weather becomes bad again:

-making the bipod also collapsible. This will be a hard challenge because in both positions the legs of the pod must be held in place tightly to avoid rattling.

-at the end of the grip you can see a flash socket. Having the preamp or at least some small VU meter there would be fine  >:D

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Re: Rode NT4 + DIY pistol grip
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 12:54:58 AM »
Hi

I just wanted to show you what happens when bad weather comes into play :D

I have built a pistol grip for my NT4 by using:

-the original rode shockmount
-some old camera accessories
-some aluminium trash

First, I removed the hinge of the Shockmount (SM). Then I made two aluminium distance bolts for mounting the SM to the rail. Some unnecessary straps were removed and then I added some kind of bipod, also made of aluminium and old photograph equipment.

The main advantage of using this old grip is that it is very stable AND collapsible. It is NOS and did cost me 8 Euros... the new Hama plastic trash would have been € 26!!  8)

Next things to do when the weather becomes bad again:

-making the bipod also collapsible. This will be a hard challenge because in both positions the legs of the pod must be held in place tightly to avoid rattling.

-at the end of the grip you can see a flash socket. Having the preamp or at least some small VU meter there would be fine  >:D

That's a fantastic job!

Alternatively I'd run the cable down the pistol grip to make it easier to use while held?

As a fellow owner of an NT4 I have some questons...

1. What dead cat/rat/cover are you using there?
2. My what a thin mic cable you have there...what is it?

+T!

digifish
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 12:58:11 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 11:51:48 AM »
That is cool!  T+
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Eigenklang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 01:25:58 PM »
thanks

Both, cable + wind muff are original Rode parts. (Rode dead kitten and supplied --> 3,5mm cable)

The rig currently is:

NT4 --> prefer MB-8 http://www.prefer.de/prefer%20englisch/prefer%20boosters/mb7mb8.htm in a new case --> R-09
(the right one on the picture is a Soundman A3 in a new case providing 9V for electret mics)

This prefer amp might be really ok. It is solid state and runs on 9V.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 06:50:20 PM »
thanks

Both, cable + wind muff are original Rode parts. (Rode dead kitten and supplied --> 3,5mm cable)

The rig currently is:

NT4 --> prefer MB-8 http://www.prefer.de/prefer%20englisch/prefer%20boosters/mb7mb8.htm in a new case --> R-09
(the right one on the picture is a Soundman A3 in a new case providing 9V for electret mics)

This prefer amp might be really ok. It is solid state and runs on 9V.

Thanks for that...is the dead kitten the same one used for the Rode Video Mic? I'll have to get me a couple then. I assume you slipped it over the naked capsules without foam windshiled? 

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline Eigenklang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 10:17:25 AM »
yes, its the same part as used for the videomic.

I guess they want the muff to be pulled over the foam wind shield, but it fits VERY tight. The foam gets compressed in a way that just cant be good for the sound.

I then took a stripe of about 10cm length foam filter mat and wrapped it around the capsules, using the space in between them as a fixing point. It is a very loose material and I used it just to create some space between mic and kitten. I guess it works ok.

Eigenklang

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com