Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: S/PDIF - AES/EBU - Optical signal converters  (Read 7652 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
S/PDIF - AES/EBU - Optical signal converters
« on: November 24, 2003, 10:05:37 PM »
Alright, so...I'm looking into signal converters (digital format converters) so I can test running my JB3 out of my V3, hoping to bury my DAT forever, or at least only use it as a backup.  I think I want stick with AES/EBU output from the V3 so I can reserve the less secure coax for patchers.  And so, I need a signal converter that takes AES/EBU and converts to optical.  Here are the options I've come up with so far a la Google, both AES/EBU capable and otherwise, all of which appear to be easily powered in the field via 9vdc or 12vdc.

I'm interested in any first-hand experience you all have with any of these devices, though especially the AES/EBU ones.  Thanks!

RCA-coax / toslink-optical

JustLink POF-820
I believe this is the "grey box" everyone mentions.  I see this one ALL over the place.  Doesn't look very robust to me, but, that's merely a gut reaction to the pics I've seen.  Seen these for as low as $25 (you get what you pay for, perhaps).

M-Audio C02
This seems to be a popular choice, as well as reasonably inexpensive.  Though I believe this is the device with which Jamie Lutch (I think?) had dropped-sample issues.  ~$60.

Fostex COP-1/96
Haven't heard of anyone running it, but from what I gather Fostex makes good quality products.  ~$100, though it may be discontinued.

XLR-AES/EBU / toslink-optical

EgoSys Dr. D
Very little info available on the EgoSys website.  Hmph.  Could be the solution for which I'm looking.  I've had great success with my EgoSys soundcard and am generally impressed with the quality of their products.  Available at MarkerTek, but no price posted...will have to call tomorrow.  If the price isn't outrageous, this may be my first choice just based on my good experiences with EgoSys to date.  Update:  Damnit, it's been discontinued!  Still trying to track one down...this looks like just the product I want, so of course they had to discontinue it.

M-Audio CO3
Cousin to the CO2 and includes XLR-AES/EBU.  Not small, however - it's bigger than my V3 (hmph)!  And if people's issues (if there even are issues) with the CO2 exist, then perhaps they're an ssue with this box as well?  ~$160.

Kramer 465
Nice and small, but uses 3-wire terminal blocks instead of XLR.  I'm not too terribly concerned about the terminal blocks, makes the much smaller package possible, in part, I suspect.  Easily powered via 12VDC.  Available at MarkerTek, but no price posted...will have to call tomorrow.  Only problem:  expensive!  > $300.  Rats.

Digital Domain FCN-1
I've found very little info on this device outside of their webpage, and haven't the foggiest idea how or where to actually buy one, its dimensions, or its power requirements.  Seems like its more focused towards the pro environment just based on their website, so perhaps this is a higher quality box?

« Last Edit: February 07, 2004, 12:07:47 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline THE NIZ BIAAAAACH!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Mr T don't partake in no sombrero activities!
Re:S/PDIF - AES/EBU - Optical signal converters
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 11:40:35 PM »
I think that sony also used to make one that was geared toward the D8, I'm not sure if it accepts AES\EBU.
mk21+mk4>kc5>cmc6>portico 5012>722
24\96 in your ass bitches!

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2003, 12:14:56 AM »
Brian - I think the "gray box" is this one from the Sound Professionals. Actually from the looks of things, they're the same thing though I'm not positive because your link to the JustLink POF-820 isn't valid...but a search for JustLink POF-820 yields something that looks very much like what SP is selling...
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 12:25:17 AM »
Brian - I think the "gray box" is this one from the Sound Professionals. Actually from the looks of things, they're the same thing though I'm not positive because your link to the JustLink POF-820 isn't valid...but a search for JustLink POF-820 yields something that looks very much like what SP is selling...

Yup, that's the same as the one I meant to link to.  Thanks for the heads up.  I doubt I'll go that route, as I've heard rumblings of people having trouble with it.
Roland R-05

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 01:28:09 AM »
I bookmarked this page a while ago - a good reference for s/pdif.  It sounds like you can convert with a simple circuit - 2 resistors.  

About half way down, look for AES/EBU to S/PDIF signal level converter
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/spdif.html
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

zowie

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2003, 10:10:07 AM »
Radio Shack has a optical/coax box for about $14.  Works fine - I don't know why its never on anyone's radar.

Offline HydroPANIC

• Taperssection Regular
  • Casey Dawg Recordings
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2003, 11:11:05 AM »
I use the CO2 with no problems...

Jim Oade was telling me that Doug was building a format converter...   ;)
Live Long and Lucky,
MikeO

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2003, 05:35:49 AM »
M-Audio C02
This seems to be a popular choice, as well as reasonably inexpensive.  Though I believe this is the device with which Jamie Lutch (I think?) had dropped-sample issues.  ~$60.

yes that is the one that jamie lutch proved to not
be bit perfect

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2003, 12:09:47 PM »
M-Audio C02

yes that is the one that jamie lutch proved to not
be bit perfect

Yeah...it also doesn't take AES/EBU.  The one I really want - the EgoSys Dr. D - has been discontinued, damnit.  Gotta see if I can find one somewhere...
Roland R-05

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2003, 03:01:51 PM »
Alright, well...the Ego Sys Dr. D is just flat out not available anywhere, as it's been discontinued for > 18 months.  In my searches, I did find one other option, though:

Hosa ODL-312
AES/EBU > optical S/PDIF and vice versa.  Nice and small, about the size of a PS-2:  3.5" x 3.5" x 1.5".  Takes ~9VDC external power.  I just ordered one of these, shipped  for a total of $57 from Full Compass.  We'll see how it goes when it arrives next week.
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com