Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: evolution of the squeezebox  (Read 7923 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
evolution of the squeezebox
« on: March 01, 2008, 10:31:16 AM »
http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_duet.html

just picked one up.
love the remote!

to all you folks on "the wheel" project.
add this to your list of things to buy.
:)

Offline lnarachi

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Pullin one for the team
Re: evolution of the squeezebox
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 11:45:44 AM »
Nick, are you using the wireless or wired ethernet connection?
Do you have to use the wire to get fidelity on 24 bit flac files?

My friend has the earlier SB3 and isn't happy with the fidelity compared to his CD transport.

He isn't using the DAC on the SB.

Have you compared a file via the SB versus a CD you make from the file on your playback rig?

Thanks
Larry
mk4v/mk2h/mk8/mk41v CMC6 > Grace V2/V3 Oade ASM mod > Benchmark AD2K+ > SD 744T/Edirol R09

Playback: Northstar Designs M192 transport and DAC >  Cardas Neutral Reference interconnects > Cary Audio SLP98 > Pass Labs X250 > Acoustic Zen Satori cables > Von Schweikert VR4

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 12:38:11 PM »
just ordered it...so time will tell.
I'll probably use a wired jack as proximity to my router is pretty close to the stereo any way.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 12:48:04 PM »
Have you compared a file via the SB versus a CD you make from the file on your playback rig?

I compared SB3, wired and wireless, digital out v. CD/DVD transport digital out to the same gear.  I couldn't hear a difference.  Could be my playback gear, environment, and ears simply aren't capable of revealing the differences (if they actually exist).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 06:41:56 PM »

I compared SB3, wired and wireless, digital out v. CD/DVD transport digital out to the same gear.  I couldn't hear a difference.  Could be my playback gear, environment, and ears simply aren't capable of revealing the differences (if they actually exist).

Same here as well. Also, you can easily do 24bit FLACs wirelessly through the SB3. The SB3 is limited to 24/48 content, though, as it resamples 24/96 down to 24/48 on the fly. Not sure if that's the case with the new Duet or the Transporter.

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 07:25:12 PM »
I need one, the remote looks A+

Offline Jammin72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 09:22:39 AM »
The Duet uses a different output circuit (DAC and Analog Output Stage) than the SB3.  I would only use it if you're planning on feeding a digital signal to your rig.  The control setup is slick though... one remote controls all the output boxes and no more staring across the room at the little display!

As far as digital output quality even folks like Wes Phillips and John Atkinson over at Stereophile use terms like "slight" and "a little" to describe the difference of the digital output in the SB3 over some of their favorite transports when being sent into more advanced DAC's and reference systems.

Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 09:29:57 AM »
So,

You would go analog out with an SB3, but digital out with the new duet?

Also, The transporter does 24/96 natively, and has a really high end (supposedly) D/A converter, thus the really high price tag...

Some company called Boulder Cables does mods to the SB3. I have also seen other 3rd party power supplies as well. Any opinions?
http://www.boldercables.com/servlet/Search?category=MODIFICATIONS
http://www.welbornelabs.com/modsandmodules.htm

I really want to get one of these (squeezebox or duet), but do not know which way to go, and insights appreciated!!

Besides having the Dead catalog on a hard drive someday (wheel project), I would love to stream my 24/48 masters to the stereo as well.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 09:31:32 AM by Since85 »

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 10:06:53 AM »
nope, I plan analog out for now...digital out when I get a good DAC in my system again.

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 11:18:53 AM »
<<<sigh>>>

I feel so old....I just can't get away from the need to have a piece of physical media. My LPs and CDs would look so sad, watching from their dusty shelves while the Squeezebox has all the fun.

Wait....I AM old!

AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 12:13:28 PM »
So,

You would go analog out with an SB3, but digital out with the new duet?

Also, The transporter does 24/96 natively, and has a really high end (supposedly) D/A converter, thus the really high price tag...

Some company called Boulder Cables does mods to the SB3. I have also seen other 3rd party power supplies as well. Any opinions?
http://www.boldercables.com/servlet/Search?category=MODIFICATIONS
http://www.welbornelabs.com/modsandmodules.htm

I really want to get one of these (squeezebox or duet), but do not know which way to go, and insights appreciated!!

Besides having the Dead catalog on a hard drive someday (wheel project), I would love to stream my 24/48 masters to the stereo as well.

I'd go digital out of either box if I could and use it strictly as a "transport".  I was just pointing out what has been discussed on the Slim Devices forum, that the new Box doesn't have quite the sound analog of it's previous cousin. (Though I'm sure like most things audio it's minimal) The good news is that the new remote will still operate the older boxes. Since the new boxes are less expensive it makes it easier to setup multiple setups in the home.

You're right the Transporter is right up there with many reference sources but of course it's not cheap.  The Truth mod by Modwright with a tube stage seems intriguing...

http://www.modwright.com/products/index.php?product_id=28

Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 01:26:40 PM »

As far as it's measured performance it is in the same league as any DAC separates: Benchmark DAC1, Bel Canto v3, and more. Very impressive IMHO.

http://stereophile.com/mediaservers/207slim/

This is some kick-ass resolution!!

Fig.3 Slim Devices Transporter, 1/3-octave spectrum with noise and spuriae of (from top to bottom at 3kHz): dithered 1kHz tone at –90dBFS, 16-bit data; dithered 1kHz tone at –90dBFS, 24-bit data; dithered 1kHz tone at –120dBFS, 24-bit data. (Right channel dashed.)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 01:28:12 PM by BC »
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Since85

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 10:15:42 AM »
OK,

But are any of those power supply/other mods woth the $? Is it just better to spend the $$ on a transporter?

Also, is there a mod possible to make the squeezebox capable of 24/96? Any thoughts/insights appreciated!!

Nick, what made you decide to go with the duet vs. a squeezebox? Could one just get a squeezebox, and but that remote separately?

:)

Offline Since85

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 10:24:06 AM »
Sorry to flood the forum, but this PS looks very interesting.....

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/80596

What y'all think????

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 10:36:13 AM »
Occasionally....music mics record

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com