Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: evolution of the squeezebox  (Read 7922 times)

johnlynn

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: evolution of the squeezebox
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 10:25:03 AM »
I just went to the slimdevices site to upgrade my software and it appears you can buy this new Duet as two solo units. For those that don't need the fancy remote with the Duet or don't want to spend $300 for the SB3, the base (stereo/network interface box) of the Duet is available for $149. This is great for those that install the server software on a laptop or have their PC near or in their listening room. All functions of the squeezeboxes can be controlled easily via a web-style interface.

I've had my SB3 for about a year and love it. I'd recommend one to anyone on this site. 

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 11:02:11 PM »
Still wondering about any opinions on mods for the squeezebox. Worth the $$ or not ??? ???

Also, how does it handle a 24/96 file? Does it convert to 24/48 on the fly? If so, does it sound OK?

Thanks for any info.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 10:24:14 PM »
I heard a squeezebox>Bel Canto Pre/DAC 3>Pass Labs X350.5>Salk HT3's this past weekend and it sounded great!!  Question is how do you get the tunes from CD to the HD with all the artist info?

I upgraded my old '99 version of EAC to the latest and found that I can rip compressed and it converts the file to FLAC....sweet!  I used freedb to get the artist info, but how is everyone else doing this?  Once you get the files do you DL the squeezebox software (like itunes) and you are ready to go.  Might get this Duet for multiple rooms and to get the CD's out of my basement.

Thanks,
SC

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 11:11:59 PM »
Still wondering about any opinions on mods for the squeezebox. Worth the $$ or not ??? ???

Also, how does it handle a 24/96 file? Does it convert to 24/48 on the fly? If so, does it sound OK?

Thanks for any info.

Most of the mods to the SB2/3 are the typical things that you would find in any mod for audio gear; different caps.  Sure they will change the sound a bit, is it a must have, I'd say no.  Is it worth it... meh.

I did pick up an elpac power supply for the thing, hacked off the end and defeated the 12V sections to give me a straight up 5v power supply.  Sure there was maybe a little difference, but I'm sure that may have more to do with the fact that elpac puts out a solid 5.00V wheras the stock power supply was ~5.2V... go figure and with all mods YMMV.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline rasta

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 01:47:43 PM »
I've heard there is trouble w/ MAC's and the SB3's.  Anybody using OSX leopard?
4023>m148>722

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 02:09:58 PM »
I've heard there is trouble w/ MAC's and the SB3's.  Anybody using OSX leopard?

Yes, I use a Mac with 10.5.2. and a SB3. No problems on my end.

Offline Tim

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 03:44:34 PM »
I heard a squeezebox>Bel Canto Pre/DAC 3>Pass Labs X350.5>Salk HT3's this past weekend and it sounded great!!  Question is how do you get the tunes from CD to the HD with all the artist info?

I upgraded my old '99 version of EAC to the latest and found that I can rip compressed and it converts the file to FLAC....sweet!  I used freedb to get the artist info, but how is everyone else doing this?  Once you get the files do you DL the squeezebox software (like itunes) and you are ready to go.  Might get this Duet for multiple rooms and to get the CD's out of my basement.

Thanks,
SC

scott, is this what you're talking about http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,91895.0.html
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline lnarachi

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Pullin one for the team
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 05:21:40 PM »
I took a pass on the Duet after hearing it on a friends stereo. Instead, I went with a device that takes the USB out from my computer and converts it to AES/EBU digital out.

http://www.cryo-parts.com/pclink.html

Since I have a DAC (Northstar Design M192) that has the AES/EBU input, I just run that cable the 50 feet or so from the computer to the DAC.

CONS: I have to select music from the computer instead of a cool remote....I remote desktop with a small laptop to the music server and use Foobar to play my files.

PROS: This box was only 129 bucks..not the 400 the Duet costs..
Sound quality is not compromised.
mk4v/mk2h/mk8/mk41v CMC6 > Grace V2/V3 Oade ASM mod > Benchmark AD2K+ > SD 744T/Edirol R09

Playback: Northstar Designs M192 transport and DAC >  Cardas Neutral Reference interconnects > Cary Audio SLP98 > Pass Labs X250 > Acoustic Zen Satori cables > Von Schweikert VR4

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 07:13:13 PM »
I took a pass on the Duet after hearing it on a friends stereo. Instead, I went with a device that takes the USB out from my computer and converts it to AES/EBU digital out.

http://www.cryo-parts.com/pclink.html

Since I have a DAC (Northstar Design M192) that has the AES/EBU input, I just run that cable the 50 feet or so from the computer to the DAC.

CONS: I have to select music from the computer instead of a cool remote....I remote desktop with a small laptop to the music server and use Foobar to play my files.

PROS: This box was only 129 bucks..not the 400 the Duet costs..
Sound quality is not compromised.

Please explain the sound "compromise".  Going digi out to the Bel Canto sounded better than the Raysonic to many ears.  CI Audio PS was utilized.

I'll be waiting to hear Nick' comments as well.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 03:23:34 PM »

yes, thats exactly what I did.   Slimserver (the squeezebox software) is functionally exactly like Itunes.   You designate your music directory, and it reads all of the tags for the songs, and creates a library.   You can set it up to scan for new stuff every day, so all you do is put new files in the directory and it will pick them up itself, or you can tell it to scan if you wanna listen to something right away that you just added.

Slimserver also allows you to stream your music anywhere.

Once slimserver is set up, when you initially start up your sb3 (or other product, presumably) you just tell the sb3 which computer on your network is running slimserver, and it connects.  Then you browse through the library using artist or song or album or whatev.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 03:26:16 PM by Ticket-obsessed TS.com poster »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2008, 09:27:50 PM »

yes, thats exactly what I did.   Slimserver (the squeezebox software) is functionally exactly like Itunes.   You designate your music directory, and it reads all of the tags for the songs, and creates a library.   You can set it up to scan for new stuff every day, so all you do is put new files in the directory and it will pick them up itself, or you can tell it to scan if you wanna listen to something right away that you just added.

Slimserver also allows you to stream your music anywhere.

Once slimserver is set up, when you initially start up your sb3 (or other product, presumably) you just tell the sb3 which computer on your network is running slimserver, and it connects.  Then you browse through the library using artist or song or album or whatev.

My reason for going with the Duet is that I plan to have a PC in the spare bedroom closet and use it like a server so no laptop to choose songs.  The display would be behind locked rack door so I like the idea of having it all on the remote.

Can't wait to hear more about this.  Sounds pretty neat.

Offline rasta

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2008, 01:04:31 PM »
If I want to run the Duet or the SB3 into my own DAC is one a smarter option than the other?  (less expensive if not paying for the DAC)
4023>m148>722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com