Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The World's #1 Audiophile?  (Read 3507 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
Re: The World's #1 Audiophile?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 07:22:48 PM »
Wow.

I like the LP room. And his "new" 200,000 LP collection.

Offline Eigenklang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 09:16:13 AM »
Great.

A lot of his toys are not worth the money, but if you can afford that you can see everyday, that it is not only the price that does make equipment sound good. I think this man cant live without the contrast between good and bad. He just owns the whole range in between...

If I had the money, I would do it the same way.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 09:29:54 AM »
oooph.
I like the ML statement room, and the JM "grand utopia BE" setup...some of my favorite looking speakers (never heard them) and they are supposed to be the all time best, no compromise "ROCK BOXES".

I should play the lottery more

Offline Eigenklang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 10:38:55 AM »
Yep, the JMs are good, but not only for rock...
If you want even more good sound (and beryllium :D) try to listen to the TAD model one. It is some kind of professional line from Pioneer.

To my ears, they are among the best conventional Loudspeakers out there.
I was able to compare them to each other.

http://www.shows.soundstagelive.com/shows/avtour2004/frk_standout_audio_stereoplay.shtml

Btw, I am the guy in the grey shirt :D
The most stressiest thing of the show next to moving the Alexandria X-2 was to jump to the speakers after the demonstration to prevent people from touching the beryllium parts...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 10:41:07 AM by Eigenklang »

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 11:06:20 AM »
very cool.
that must have been fun.

what did you like ?
those SFs sure are pretty.  I read the stereophile review on them.
I've got a serious desire for the grand utopias though.  now, if only I had a spare 65k.

Offline Tim

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 11:09:09 AM »
oooph.
I like the ML statement room, and the JM "grand utopia BE" setup...some of my favorite looking speakers (never heard them) and they are supposed to be the all time best, no compromise "ROCK BOXES".

I should play the lottery more

I knew you'd dig that ML room ;D

Yep, the JMs are good, but not only for rock...
If you want even more good sound (and beryllium :D) try to listen to the TAD model one. It is some kind of professional line from Pioneer.

To my ears, they are among the best conventional Loudspeakers out there.
I was able to compare them to each other.

http://www.shows.soundstagelive.com/shows/avtour2004/frk_standout_audio_stereoplay.shtml

Btw, I am the guy in the grey shirt :D
The most stressiest thing of the show next to moving the Alexandria X-2 was to jump to the speakers after the demonstration to prevent people from touching the beryllium parts...

That's damn cool...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 11:52:17 AM »
Oh My God! Look at the Thorens Reference table, out of all the gear that is the macdaddy. But honestly how does one just pull one piece out of all that. Even more impressive is all the music he has to enjoy the equipment with, what a nice collection, very impressive.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 11:54:42 AM »
Here is a link for the Thorens Reference table:

http://www.theanalogdept.com/reference.htm
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Stagger

• Taperssection Member
  • Yep I'm selling my 722-Wife always wins in the end
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 12:01:43 PM »
Hey Carl, does Stacy know you are putting one these in the basement yet?  ;D

http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm
Selling: SD 722
Current Setup: AKG c34 > S42 > Kimber Hero > DR-680

Nikon D7000, SB-700, Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6, Nikkor 50 f1.8D, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, and way too many do-dads to list...

Playback: Denon DVD3910>Audio Experiences Symphonies Tube Pre [Electro-Harmonix/12AX7 Gold Pin ]>Rogue 88 Amplifier [Genalex Gold Lion KT88s, ultralinear]>Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home & Martin Logan Depth i - AudioQuest Jaguar and CV-8 DBS cable, Panamax M7500Pro conditioner.

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 12:18:54 PM »
Hey she might "enjoy" it too  >:D

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

cshepherd

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 12:38:27 PM »
Oh My God! Look at the Thorens Reference table, out of all the gear that is the macdaddy. But honestly how does one just pull one piece out of all that. Even more impressive is all the music he has to enjoy the equipment with, what a nice collection, very impressive.

The green cartridge on the main arm of the Thorens is a van den Hul Frog MC.

Chris

Offline Eigenklang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 12:44:10 PM »
Well, my favourite was the TAD. In too small rooms the high frequencies will cut off your ears, but with the correct placement in a good room there is no problem with that at all.

My personal lineup was: TAD > JMlab + Thiel > Sonus Faber > Audio Physic > Wilson.

The positioning of the TADs was also done very quick: Andrew Jones, the engineer of the model one (a VERY nice person) and two of us just tried 2 or 3 positions and then went over to just listening to music while turning the volume up and up. BOOM, great. Fast and explosive bass. Zero compression until we blew up one of the Woofers :D Hell, THAT was loud. We were just like little kids with a new toy. For the kind of room, the sound was just great. Luckily Andrew managed it to get a replacement speaker for his babies very quick.

The Sonus Faber were also very good, but i guess they suffered most from the poor room. The sound was less dynamic, but very creamy and warm. I would call it nice... Actually I really do not know if I would want that in my room...
But if someone would force me to take one of the last three speakers i would prefer the SF for sure  ;D

Oh and one thing I have to add. These are my very personal opinions on these speakers. I am not a writer for these magazines, I just know some of the guys and the two HighEnd shows I did with them were just some kind of holiday work. In earlier days I worked there from time to time to pack and unpack the devices tested by the magazines. I also took part in some of the tests, but never wrote one or judged over a thing... I love that stuff too much for making it my profession. It was THE place to listen to the contrasts I mentioned above.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com