Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: "Affordable" 1080p projectors, anbody taken a look?  (Read 13061 times)

Offline Frank in JC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
"Affordable" 1080p projectors, anbody taken a look?
« on: February 19, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
Has anybody seen one of the current crop of high-definition LCD projectors with their own eyes?   Based solely on reviews, the Panasonic PT-AE2000U seems to edge out competing units. 

I used to run a 2500 lumen Sanyo XP21n, but it's about 7 years old and needs an overhaul.  Instead of putting money into it, I think it might be time to move on.  The 1080p units out there have got me thinking about a new machine, but their relatively low lumen output makes me cautious.  The brightness of the Sanyo spoiled me, but I'm willing trade that for resolution, smoother image, and well... just a better overall picture.

Any firsthand impressions?  Thanks.
Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
Re: "Affordable" 1080p projectors, anbody taken a look?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 01:34:23 PM »
This is a good site for projector reviews:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/

I remember the epson 1080p model getting a good review, and I think Optoma just came out with a low priced 1080p model, the HD80. Both are under 3K.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 06:37:48 PM »
The AE2000 is very nice looking.  The dust blob issue has me scared.

SC

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 08:02:54 AM »
The AE2000 is very nice looking.  The dust blob issue has me scared.

SC

I just purchased the Panasonic PT-AE2000U. What exactly is the "dust blob issue?" ???
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline hzgone

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 01:05:13 AM »
i'm currently looking at the epson 8100.  Price is about 1200
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 01:16:25 PM »
I recently bought an Epson Powerlite 8350 projector...
best gear purchase I've made in years and years.  Seriously!

Anyone else made the leap into projector home theatre?

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 02:49:38 PM »
I just installed the Panasonic PT-AE4000U a couple of months ago.  Couldn't be happier with a consumer class projector.   Dust blobs seem to happening to a very small sampling of people and something that 9 times out of 10 can be fixed with a shot of compressed air.

The PT-AE2000U has been getting wonderful reviews at its price point.   When I was shopping for a consumer projector I compared several makes including the Epson's.  To my eyes the Panny was a noticeable difference easier to setup and had a much better picture. 

Go to avsforum.com and pour through the forums on projectors.  Here is the direct link to the Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP section: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=68

After too many recommendations I bought my projector from Visual Apex.  http://www.visualapex.com/    HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!   Not only did they have great prices but their communication was outstanding.  They have several bundled packages for a projector, screen, mount, cables, etc.   Really solid company.

Cables were all bought from Mono Price.  http://www.monoprice.com/

Offline y1999jas

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 08:03:46 PM »
I'm quite happy with my first projector, an Epson Powerlite 8350 which I purchased last spring.  509 hours on the lamp and still going strong.  I guess I should clarify that I am happy with the replacement.  At the time of my purchase, the reviews made this one seem to be the one to get, although some complained of "auto-iris errors".  Sure enough, mine started having them shortly after purchase.  After a few annoying months of worrying about "is it going to come on right this time?", I called Epson support who said "oh yeah, we know all about that issue, send it in for replacement."  The replacement had a completely different serial number scheme, so I can only believe that Epson knew about the problem from the beginning and decided to "get them out the door, we'll fix them later".  The replacement has only given me one auto-iris error (and that's with auto-iris set to "off" in the menu").  I actually find the whole "auto-iris" concept annoying.  When it is turned on, if you have something along the lines of just a white mouse pointer on a black screen, the auto-iris dims the picture so that you can hardly see the pointer.  This was causing some problems viewing things like "World Wide Telescope", so I turned it off.  Everything looks great without it.

It projects on to a 109" screen.  The screen is just white primer on non-textured drywall.  The sorrounding area has "orange peel" texture and an earth-tone paint color.  The picture is beautiful and if you get close enough, you can clearly see each pixel.  Computer screen and sports show up clearly with a significant amount of ambient light and darker programming, such as movies, really shine with all of the lights off. 

I expect to keep this projector until 3-D LED projectors become mainstream.  If there are better models out there, that would be amazing to see, because I find no fault with this one's picture.  I run it with most settings to factory default.

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 11:03:59 PM »
Just over 1000 hours on my Powerlite 8350 and I still love it.

Once you setup a home theater w/projector, you'll never be able to go without one.

Offline Corporate hack

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 12:56:36 PM »
Has anybody seen one of the current crop of high-definition LCD projectors with their own eyes?   Based solely on reviews, the Panasonic PT-AE2000U seems to edge out competing units. 

I used to run a 2500 lumen Sanyo XP21n, but it's about 7 years old and needs an overhaul.  Instead of putting money into it, I think it might be time to move on.  The 1080p units out there have got me thinking about a new machine, but their relatively low lumen output makes me cautious.  The brightness of the Sanyo spoiled me, but I'm willing trade that for resolution, smoother image, and well... just a better overall picture.

Any firsthand impressions?  Thanks.
I'm using the LG HX350T for business presentations and some watching in my free time and I like it.  My only minor complaint is that I wish the power adapter was smaller- the unit itself is pretty darn small and powerful.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.131 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com