Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Onix Strata Mini's  (Read 1690 times)

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Onix Strata Mini's
« on: November 12, 2006, 10:40:17 PM »
These speakers were getting some decent press at RMAF last month and a local av123.com guy got one of the first few pairs late last week.  A few of use from the area invited ourselves over to his place today to hear the latest offering.

Once everything was calibrated and set, we took turns listening to our fav. tunes.  I think everyone was thinking they were very thin in the bass, but we came to realize the settings were wrong.  Once corrected the sound was much better.  The speakers seem quite hard to drive due to even though they are 8 ohm and 86 dB.  Source was: Pioneer 563 (??)> Parasound Halo C2>Parasound Halo A52.

The Strata Mini's had a great sound for acoustic music and the female vocal stuff (Diana Krall, Norah Jones) and classical guitar.  I didn't like the rock/alternative on them though.  Not sure why, but might have been the source gear.  Will go back and take another listen soon, possibly tomorrow and have them powered by a tube integrated.

I think for the $2k they are asking they are worth it.  A guy that was at RMAF said he thought these were probably the best sub $6k speakers he heard at the show and he doesn't own any of the Onix gear.  He said he would have gotten these had he not just ordered a pair of Salk HT3's which were greater than $6K  (he just sold his pretty new VR-4jr's to get the Salk's).  We are headed to his place next moth for a GTG.

If you are looking at getting a new 2 channel system, the Strata Mini's should be on your list.

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Onix Strata Mini's
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 08:01:51 AM »

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 08:14:17 AM »
nice looking speakers.
i'd like to hear those bad boys.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 10:05:59 PM »
They are very cool looking. I wonder how big a room you need for those
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com